Where is TSBY/GLC!

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Where is TSBY/GLC!

Unread post by KVERBERK »

I haven't seen any evidence of the train coming through Fife lake(noth of Cadillac MI) for over two weeks. The normal schedual is one or two trains a week northbound with any thing from cement, plastics, tank cars or a box car. Also noticed the yard in Cadillac is rather empty lately. Caught a short train arriving in Cadillac from the south last night with a few Coke cars for the transload station. but thats about it.

Kyle
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

there they are

OK so as soon as I posted this message GP35 389 came by pulling 5 or six large hoppers heading north. I guess traffic is down a bit lately.

Kyle
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Lg cov hoppers probably going to Petoskey. According to newspaper article Petoskey Plastics uses 12,000 tons of plastic per year. About 2-3 100ton cars a week. So 5-6 cars would indicate they're making the Petoskey run about every other week. Just a guess.

Cement should start running again in a couple months. They usually get a weekly switch.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NWRail
Railroadfan...fan

Revised operating plan

Unread post by NWRail »

Previous management ran trains whenever a car was delivered, ran light engine (fuel,wear & tear, crew wages- no revenue) to gather empty cars just to keep crews earning hours. We want to keep in business, keep the rails. Once per week to TC branch (Thursday), once per week to Petoskey branch when needed (normally twice a month until cement starts back up). No cars- empties wait. Demurage costs less than fuel/wages. Traffic down on Petoskey branch, up on TC branch. Summer is opposite. Trackwork will focus on southern portion of system that earns revenue to cover costs. Nothing planned for northern properties. Sand down, and under 9 years' supply left at Yuma. We need a lean railroad to keep heads above water.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

when Mr Sheperd owned the TSBY he would do what needed to happen to make money. now they are more focused on Ford and the BIG companys and they are also trying to conserve fuel. business is slow right now.

NWRail
Railroadfan...fan

Jim

Unread post by NWRail »

Jim was ou CEO, not actually the owner. Major shareholder. the 38's are more efficient (and the cab heaters keep the toes warm!), so that helps save fuel and expenses. Traffic is way down this winter due to economy, loss of traffic due to corn moving by truck to ethanol plants (most MAC Middleton traffic dried up), lumber not moving (TC), plastic factory loss, sand (auto industry way down- no high need for casting and glass). Only a couple cement cars during the winter. Cherry Growers in TC is up in traffic, that's about it. Coke way down (slow down at CMI).

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

How's business from Clare these days? From my infrequent observations they usually handle 5-6 cars a day.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

You probably figured out what I meant in the above post but if not I'm referring to Poly Pavilion. Thank you.

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

re

Wow lots of goog information. Hey NWrail, do you work for the GlC? I think it is great to have actual railroaders contributing to the web site. I am just a causual observer but have always been facinated with rail operations. Especially short lines. It must be a struggle to keep secondary lines like TC and Petosky open with limited traffice volumes. Anyway , thanks for the reply.

Kyle
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

According to Trains Magazine article it takes 100 cars per mile per year to keep line open and profitable. Ex. 100 miles of track x 100 cars per year = 10,000 cars per year.

GLC operates 350 miles of track and handles about 10,000 cars a year. Far below what Trains Magazine says it takes. In fact, most shortlines operate well under the 100 cars per mile figure. Somehow they stay profitable. It must be a daily struggle...

Old Hogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Old Hogger »

Don Simon wrote:According to Trains Magazine article it takes 100 cars per mile per year to keep line open and profitable. Ex. 100 miles of track x 100 cars per year = 10,000 cars per year.

GLC operates 350 miles of track and handles about 10,000 cars a year. Far below what Trains Magazine says it takes. In fact, most shortlines operate well under the 100 cars per mile figure. Somehow they stay profitable. It must be a daily struggle...
Not really profitable. The 100 cars a day is break even for running the railroad including maintenance. When dollars go down, first thing that usually gets cut is maintenance on track, cars and locos. One really big reason most shortlines have only Class 1 or Excepted track.

NWRail
Railroadfan...fan

Yes and no

Unread post by NWRail »

Yes, for GLC. No, Petoskey/TC lines do not make money- though very little trackwork is done on those lines- just keep the rails in gauge and operable. Sand supports northern properties. Can't discontinue service to northern properties under state contract.

Rough day in TC yesterday- lots of digging, careful running through packed crossings. 389 hit a car while finally leaving TC at 6pm (way late). Luckily couple was pulled out moments before impact.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

whats your name NWrail? i know a few people there.

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

collision

I saw on the news about the collision with the car. Glad to hear that the couple made it out. It doen't look like the locomotive sustained much damage. By the way I followed the train to elmira the other day, and when they crossed main street the snow banks were so high the locomotive left huge snow boulders in the middle of the street. one was almost the size of a small car! I wish I had my camera.

Kyle
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

I hope they don't have to pull the rail but if they do I know there will be a huge effort to develope a rail trail.
As an avid bicycler of them it would be a great addition to the system. Midland or Grand Rapids to the straits and back to Alpena and Gaylord would be awesome.
Also the trails in more rural areas are not only for bicyclers but are open to snowmobiles in the winter.