MMRR Muskegon Quickie

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

MMRR Muskegon Quickie

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Thought I'd post a little update. Was heading home last night around 1945 and saw reflective tape crossing in front of me in the dark. Turned out to be the mill job returning to North Yard. These are usually done by atleast 1600/1700 at the latest. And to top it off, they had 24 cars! Heck, that's bigger than most Z627's! Usually, you can count all the cars from the mill on both hands. They had 18 boxcars (including CN, BCOL, SLGG, CSX, RBOX, and ALAB (in SP colors)) and 6 tanks (all Omya). Would've liked to see the Z627 leave but the mill job outlaws at 2000, so they died shortly after I saw them, and weren't recrew by the 627 crew until after 2100. The 627 crew then had to drag the train the rest of the way to North Yard and assemble and do an test on the 627 train; which was pretty big from the sounds of it on the scanner...took up the whole main, so probably about 45-50 cars. MMRR 3836 was on the mill job and 3839 lead the the 627 out along with 3836. They left after I went to bed (2300). MMRR 179 is on the morning job. Sitting outside running just about every morning on my way to work up at Henry Street. MMRR 180 is inside the engine house, and MS 73 has been sitting outside for about a month now, and is not being used!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Thanks for the update, Bob. Good to see you posting. :)

Tlout
WZZM's "train expert"

Unread post by Tlout »

Almost got to see a daylight run of MMRR out of Holland this AM - they went by Riley St. heading north at 6:40 AM...

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

Not entirely related to MMRR but it is...

This past Sunday night, a buddy and I chased N912-29 from Wyoming to West Olive, and then in turn followed Z627 from West Olive to Waverly. We followed the tracks up from the road west of the rails, 132nd/West Olive I believe. But the crossing just south of the switch has been guard-railed off. But the lights are still there. Kind of a weird situation. Does anyone know why they took the crossing out/When and why they didn't pull the lights and bells down with it? Thanks.

BTW, Those Geeps put on quite a show when they are pulling a set of loaded sand cars. Only the second time I've ever seen a freight on the line south of West Olive. Last time was D727 back in 2002.
Just a Fat Guy

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

pudgy wrote:Not entirely related to MMRR but it is...

This past Sunday night, a buddy and I chased N912-29 from Wyoming to West Olive, and then in turn followed Z627 from West Olive to Waverly. We followed the tracks up from the road west of the rails, 132nd/West Olive I believe. But the crossing just south of the switch has been guard-railed off. But the lights are still there. Kind of a weird situation. Does anyone know why they took the crossing out/When and why they didn't pull the lights and bells down with it? Thanks.
Pudge, that crossing was removed a year or two ago, IIRC. I have no idea why they bothered to leave the crossing signal there after they shut down the crossing, but it does look a little odd the first time you see it. Ran out of money for labor? Lazy? They just don't care? :lol:

By the way, has anyone ever noticed that little siding just south of that former crossing (West Olive Rd)? What was it ever used for? The tracks end just north of Croswell but don't appear to be connected to the mainline.

lemscate
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lemscate »

By the way, has anyone ever noticed that little siding just south of that former crossing (West Olive Rd)? What was it ever used for? The tracks end just north of Croswell but don't appear to be connected to the mainline.
I'm assuming you're talking about the short little one on the east side of the main, about 200 feet or so long. Some years ago (late '90's?) I saw a few CSX ballast cars parked on it. That's all I've seen it used for. Probably some old team track or something.

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

I was always told the short track just south of the switch was for setting out bad order cars. Never did make much sense to me, because there aren't any Defect Detectors north of Waverly to detect supposed cars, and your so close to the plant, that it really doesn't make sense to set them out there anyways.

One thought I had was that when the line to the plant was first put in, it was a pocket track for locomotives, either the plant switcher or CSX (Chessie). The trains would pull up past the switch northbound, the pocket track locos would snag the rear of the train and pull it clear, then push the entire train into the plant. Prolly nowhere near the real reason, but thoughts abounded with the possibility of less trackage when the plant was new, so hey, anything is possible.
Just a Fat Guy

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

West Olive Siding

Unread post by DLM »

Over the last 25 years, I have seen the short siding used to unload covered hoppers, parking MOW equipment, and even parking locomotives.

Old Hogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Old Hogger »

Yep Doc, you are right again. Business is booming on the MS, kind of keeps the wolves away from the MMRR door.