Marquette Rail and PM 1225

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Marquette Rail and PM 1225

Unread post by pudgy »

Per a source I cannot disclose, initial talks have begun between Marquette Rail and the SRI to bring the PM Berk to their rails for a Customer Appreciation Special some time in late 2008. Learning from past mistakes, they have apparently even included CSX in the discussion. Tentative plan would have the steamer ferried to GR at Wyoming Yard (with a pilot diesel but under its own power) and then be handed off to the Marquette through a light power move from Baldwin. Along with the 1225, cars from the Bluewater Chapter are being considered for the special, as Marquette doesn't own any passenger equipment. Other considerations included leasing a few Amtrak dining cars along with a P42 for HEP.

There is no definitive date for this PRIVATE excursion, but details will be released publicly when/if final arrangements have been made. Stay tuned!
Just a Fat Guy

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Well, that'll certainly be AWESOME if it does indeed happen. Keep us posted......
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

How could they get onto CSX? The only way I can see is through Howell, but they would need to reverse all the way down the GLC to Ann Pere because of how the Wye is set-up.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

or they can can do like they did in the late 80s and run over to plymouth to turn the engine, i know if this happends someones going to miss some school for sure :)

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

This probably best left off the internet until MQT wants to announce it publicly. Shades of 1225 / Polar Express visit to GR :(

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

Related to the PM 1225 coming to our very own Mighty Marquette, also from an undisclosed source, Marquette Rail will be leasing two SD70ace’s for their new bulk train service. This train will be operating under their alternate CSX marking of Z152, and will be running daylight runs between Baldwin and Grand Rapids. This train will consist of a mixture of smaller bulk trains for Michigan Rail, Newago, Manistee, and Ludington. Each of the signed customers this far has pledged to run between 15 – 30 cars every other day on this train. To wine and dine these clients plus any perspective clients for both this new bulk service, and also their regular service the railroad is looking to get the PM berk and leased cars to the property sometime this late this fall during the color season. All in all this should be a good photo op and the anticipation of more trains to see over here on Michigan’s west side.

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

This probably best left off the internet until MQT wants to announce it publicly. Shades of 1225 / Polar Express visit to GR
There is a difference this time tho. CSX has been in on the discussion since the plans inception. They have apparently already taken an interest in the event, even going as far as to prepare a parking place in Wyoming with equipment access (Dump truck and Front End loader for Coal, Tanker for water). I was told things are going smoothly, and that being a railfan friendly Railroad, it would not be unacceptable to clue the people in. At the same time, I do have to say, It's NOT a for sure thing, YET. Your right, things could end up like before, but at the same time, they have learned from past mistakes.
Just a Fat Guy

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

April fools joke maybe??? :)

EJE Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJE Dispatcher »

Sounds like an April Fools joke to me.... First off CSX doesn't like the idea of a steam locomotive tearing up their rails, so it running on its own power is out of the question...Second, when was the last time the 1225 had an FRA inspection for class 1 RR running?.... Don't count all your chicken before they hatch, it would be nice but don't see it happening..

---------------------
GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

I don't think this is an April Fool's joke, just from some other rumblings I've heard. Besides, there's one thing I noticed about the original message:
Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Of course, he could just be doing it as an early joke, but I believe it.
Also, the CSX people in Grand Rapids are supportive of 1225. IIRC, When they were going to run the PE trip in 2004, there was a crew out of Wyoming yard that was going to volunteer an engine to ferry the 1225 over. The reason it was shot down was because Risk Management in Jacksonville found out later.

cmgnnut
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cmgnnut »

Was posted on another site and is a joke for APRIL FOOLS DAY
Just like Rail America repainting the engines

Bluewaterfan
Pullman Fan

Re: Marquette Rail and PM 1225

Unread post by Bluewaterfan »

pudgy wrote: Along with the 1225, cars from the Bluewater Chapter are being considered for the special, as Marquette doesn't own any passenger equipment.
Definite joke

I have heard nothing about our cars being used for this
One can make a mistake and own up to it, but still feel guilty.
~~anonymous

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Who posts an April Fool's joke on March 31st? Is someone's calendar broken? :lol:

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

Come on JT, gimme a lil creativity credit. Almost anything posted ON April 1st is Second Guessed...besides, I work 2nd shift, and it would have been too late to fool you all.

Yes, as far as I know this is all just a joke. Would be amazing, but I don't see it happening too soon. Give it a couple years I suppose. Quite good joke if I do say so myself tho...hahaha

HAPPY APRIL FOOLS!!!
Just a Fat Guy

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

Again thanks to everyone who played our lil game. Back to your regularly scheduled railfaning. And remember where ever the Marquette goes there's a Wesco.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

darn that was a good one....
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

It sure was a good one; You had me fooled! :D
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

EJE Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJE Dispatcher »

Didn't fool me because I know the story of this sh**, but HAHAHAHA good one...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

pudgy wrote:Come on JT, gimme a lil creativity credit. Almost anything posted ON April 1st is Second Guessed...besides, I work 2nd shift, and it would have been too late to fool you all.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

Gregg Pullano wrote:I don't think this is an April Fool's joke, just from some other rumblings I've heard. Besides, there's one thing I noticed about the original message:
Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Of course, he could just be doing it as an early joke, but I believe it.
Also, the CSX people in Grand Rapids are supportive of 1225. IIRC, When they were going to run the PE trip in 2004, there was a crew out of Wyoming yard that was going to volunteer an engine to ferry the 1225 over. The reason it was shot down was because Risk Management in Jacksonville found out later.
Not the "real" reason Greg. I won't divulge the real reason on here but if you would like to know dispite the fact that it discredits someone formerly in our organization, then contact me off board.
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!