Genset 1301

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I don't know how many of those APU's in loco's we've used have NOT BEEN WORKING. Its at least more than half! If not MORE!
Doc: It's not winter anymore. Don't need any steenking APU's in the summer :lol:

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

#1301 stuck! Thats funny..... how in the hell did they manage that one.....

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Railfan James wrote:#1301 stuck! Thats funny..... how in the hell did they manage that one.....
Somebody has gotten reamed a new one, I'm sure. :lol:

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

yeah... thats like me hitting a plane with a lav truck....

ra1508vh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ra1508vh »

I've heard nothing but bad things about the APU's also.....engines shuting down under load, etc.....they sure sound good on paper....

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

The financial people are rejoicing while mid-management doctors up reports to make the APU numbers look good...

Seriously, I don't think I understand what APU's are. Are they remote control equipment that are attached to regular units?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Genset 1301

Unread post by J T »

Doktor No wrote:1301 was stuck in the enginehouse last nite. The firemans side front handrails came into contact with the cement platform floor and wedged itself in.
:lol: What the heck, is that loco a different dimension from other locos?
Doktor No wrote: The fun thing about this new stuff. CSX touts the "next generation" to all and sundry, gets tax writeoffs etc, etc then fails to maintain the equiplment. I don't know how many of those APU's in loco's we've used have NOT BEEN WORKING.
Yeah, but...

- EPA Tier II certified using off-road Tier III certified industrial diesel engines.

- Recognized by the California Air Resources Board as Ultra Low Emissions Locomotive

- 35-50% fuel savings

- 80% reduction in NOx and PM emissions

- N-ViroMotive locomotives feature multiple GenSets providing 700 to 2100 horsepower with 50-65% improvement in adhesion through electronic traction motor control.

- Shares loading between two or three independent diesel engine GenSets and uses stop-start idle limiting technology (N-Limit™) to combine fuel savings, ultra-low emissions and longer engine life
:wink:

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

APU Axluary Power Unit. It has a small (very) small diesel motor. When the water tempeture and lube oil tempeture reach a certen preset level, the APU tells the big motor (prime mover), to shut down, to save fuel. When the lube oil and water tempeture fall below a certen level, then the APU (small) motor kicks in and runs the water, lube oil, and fuel through it, to keep it the preset levels to keep it from freezing. The APU uses the fuel out of the fuel tank, to run. So insted of the big motor running to keep everyting warm, you have the smaller on. It also is and does charge the battries.

Now with that said. The APU installed on CSX locos, at one point, if you stopped, and the locos in you consist shut down, all you had to do was move the reverser lever, foward or revers, and it would automaticly restart all the locomotives. Well after the first six months, they found out that about 1/4 of the fleet always had dead battries, and another 1/4 was eating starter motors for brekfast lunch and dinner all the time. So now if a APU shuts down, you have to walk back and restart all the locos you need for power. And yes they are junk, had one shut down on me, just as I started to pull from the departure tracks at Stanley. Not supposed to do that. It all has to do with the Tier 2 BS and such.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

APU's are getting quite popular with Class 8 trucks too, due to the cost of fuel and anti-idle laws cropping up nationwide. While I can't speak for the reliability of the units on the locomotives - they're not going away any time soon.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

It came for only work, on the traction motor, ect. I guess later this month, there is a big to do, where head officals from CSX, the Detroit Mayor, other local officals, news media, and other will be at Rouge, for a dedacation cermony, for the new units as the City of Detroit paid for them.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

pfs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pfs »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:......for a dedacation cermony, for the new units as the City of Detroit paid for them.
The city paid for them??? CSX must like that.

I am amazed the city can afford them after their text message bills.