Michigan Rail business news redux

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Michigan Rail business news redux

Unread post by Man o' War »

It appears that the Chrysler warehouse facility on the CN Mount Clemens sub at MP 22.5 has been shut down. It was being switched daily by L515 out of Pontiac, but has not seen any activity since late April and the tracks into the plant are heavily rusted. Not sure of any future plans. L515 only (rarely) comes to Mount Clemens anymore unless they need to run around their train after switching GLR in Fraser. L533 still comes down from Port Huron a few times a week to switch Chesterfield, but the middle of the division is largely void of local activity these days. Fortunately, still have 4-6 manifests each day.

Man o' War

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 8:39 am
redside20 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 8:41 pm
Well there goes the georgia pacific boxboard plant in milan.

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/20 ... oyees.html
Dang, another blow for the Milan NS local. Hopefully, another corrugated board maker sees potential in that plant and location and picks it up….and continues to use rail!

I don’t know about anyone else, but I always end up looking at boxes that arrive in the mail/from Amazon/etc. to see where they were made (and if I know if they use rail). In West Michigan, we get a lot of boxes from PCA in Grandville (served by CSXT), but I’ve seen boxes from Georgia-Pacific in Milan too and I’m like “hey they use rail too!” Bummer.
RIP 🪦
IMG_5290.jpeg

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for the update.
Man o' War wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:19 pm
It appears that the Chrysler warehouse facility on the CN Mount Clemens sub at MP 22.5 has been shut down. It was being switched daily by L515 out of Pontiac but has not seen any activity since late April and the tracks into the plant are heavily rusted. Not sure of any future plans. L515 only (rarely) comes to Mount Clemens anymore unless they need to run around their train after switching GLR in Fraser. L533 still comes down from Port Huron a few times a week to switch Chesterfield, but the middle of the division is largely void of local activity these days. Fortunately, still have 4-6 manifests each day.

Man o' War
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Meanwhile, in the eastern UP, From back in April:

“The new manufacturing facility will be suitable for up to three tenants, including Maple Transport, Inc., which has committed to creating 10 new jobs in addition to five retained jobs for its expanding operations. The project also includes infrastructure enhancements with the construction of a railroad spur, extension of municipal water, parking and driveway access from W. Kincheloe Street, and an on-site sewer system.”

This is in the Kincheloe industrial park and would be served by CN.

https://www.michiganbusiness.org/press- ... -facility/
Last edited by GP30M4216 on Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Not Chysler anymore--- first it was:
DAIMLER- CHRYSLER. then
FIAT- CHRYSLER. now it's
STELLANTIS. Next it will be
G O N E.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

joeyuboats wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:52 pm
Not Chysler anymore--- first it was:
DAIMLER- CHRYSLER. then
FIAT- CHRYSLER. now it's
STELLANTIS. Next it will be
G O N E.
You can thank my dad for Daimler/Chrysler split in 2007.

He helped orchestrate it.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Lo and behold, it seems Chrysler in Mount Clemens is back in business and being switched by CN as I write. Figures that as soon as I posted it as being shut down it would come back to life. Good to see anyway.

Man o' War

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Used to work for them, 2 nights a week while going to college. My dad retired from Warren Truck in 1974, after 39 years . The Chrysler of old was way better and cooler than this Stellantis crap of today. I give them about 5 to 10 years tops, then they will be gone.

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

joeyuboats wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:20 pm
Used to work for them, 2 nights a week while going to college. My dad retired from Warren Truck in 1974, after 39 years . The Chrysler of old was way better and cooler than this Stellantis crap of today. I give them about 5 to 10 years tops, then they will be gone.
Nothing would surprise me anymore. I think Jeep helps to keep them above water today, although I honestly know little about their modern day operations. My dad owned a 1947 Town and Country convertible which was classier and superior to anything Stellantis builds today - or anybody else for that matter. The wood on the doors alone weighed as much as most cars todays. The only thing I'm interested in regarding Chrysler is the business made available to CN. C'est tout!

Man o' War

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

And--- lots of people do not know that before he got involved with the auto businesses, that he was in railroading, and at one time, used to work for ALCO .

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Those might be some cars that got lost and have been crisscrossing the country and finally are getting delivered two months late.
😉
Man o' War wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:48 pm
Lo and behold, it seems Chrysler in Mount Clemens is back in business and being switched by CN as I write. Figures that as soon as I posted it as being shut down it would come back to life. Good to see anyway.

Man o' War
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...