Flat Rock Yard...rebirth? sort of

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Flat Rock Yard...rebirth? sort of

Unread post by redside20 »

We've all seen the downgrading and cut backs of our beloved DTI se michigan in recent years like....sidings torn up, shortened, Diann Jct downgraded along with the demo of the tower and other things.And for awhile we all thought that Flat Rock Yard itself was not long for this world, at least in its past form. Is CN attempting to make lemonade out of lemons by attracting customers to Flat Rock with a new transload? What do they see in the yard?

https://www.cn.ca/en/news/2024/05/cn-un ... -flat-rock
Exit stage left

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Flat Rock Yard...rebirth? sort of

Unread post by Chip »

Freaking great, more wear and tear on local roads that are already falling apart 😒

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

If it means more trains then it will be worth it :P

Seriously, CN Flat Rock is way underutilized it makes sense that they try to build up business there
Chip wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 2:42 pm
Freaking great, more wear and tear on local roads that are already falling apart 😒
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

AARR wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 3:45 pm

Seriously, CN Flat Rock is way underutilized it makes sense that they try to build up business there
Chip wrote:
Try driving on them sometime. I’m pretty sure there’s better roads in war torn areas

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Chip wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 4:53 pm
AARR wrote:

Chip wrote:
Try driving on them sometime. I’m pretty sure there’s better roads in war torn areas
Dude stop crying and move to Somalia already.

What you should be crying about is that since NS doesn’t have TOFC ramp in Detroit, the daily TripleCrown train will run via truck from Toledo to Wayne on your brand new I-75.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 6:11 pm
Chip wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 4:53 pm
AARR wrote:

Dude stop crying and move to Somalia already.

What you should be crying about is that since NS doesn’t have TOFC ramp in Detroit, the daily TripleCrown train will run via truck from Toledo to Wayne on your brand new I-75.
I’m not going to stop “crying” about 2 roads I drive on literally every day, nor do I have a right to complain about a road I travel on maybe once every 3 months.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

That yard needs some rebirth and would love to see it happen. So what if people get caught by the trains working the yard in wood heaven. I just laugh at it. They are doing a job unlike most of the motorists. Rather turn my car off than fight people who don't know how to navigate through construction or see accidents. Plus if you don't like it. Move somewhere. Plenty of places to go live in Michigan where there's zero trains a day.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Is aviation fuel still transloaded at Flat Rock?

Does Buckeye Terminal on the Dearborn Sub still get rail service?

Satellite views shows the vehicle transloading ramps in the Flat Rock area with little activity yet the daily Flat Rock trains have a lot of loaded Bi and Tri levels. Ford Dearborn Assembly must account for many of the Bi’s but where are the other vehicle racks getting loaded?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

AARR wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 8:56 am
Satellite views shows the vehicle transloading ramps in the Flat Rock area with little activity yet the daily Flat Rock trains have a lot of loaded Bi and Tri levels. Ford Dearborn Assembly must account for many of the Bi’s but where are the other vehicle racks getting loaded?
Presumably at Flat Rock Assembly, home of the Mustang.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I would have thought so too but the satellite view showed only a few cars in the docks.
Steve B wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 2:07 pm
AARR wrote:

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Steve B wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 2:07 pm
AARR wrote:
Eh, not as much as you would think. That plant doesn’t produce nearly the volume it once did. Most of what they ship out is F-150s convoyed down from Dearborn that the Dearborn ramps can’t handle. Those get shipped out from the north terminal, which is the bigger one of the two.

I’ve also seen plenty of Rangers and Broncos being unloaded from train cars and loaded onto trucks for the final leg of their trip to the dealer lot over the years, that seems to have picked up some volume in the last 2 months since we reached full production of the new Ranger.

Most of the autoracks that come inbound to Flat Rock are routed back up towards Dearborn. TTX also has a repair facility there visible to the east of I-75 which also used to be a loading terminal before the land was sold to Copart. That’s a fairly recent addition.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Here are some photos of the steel transload building for Target Steel at Flat Rock:
steeltransload1.JPG
steeltransload2.JPG
Photos from David "Woody" Woodruff's LinkedIn (Assistant Vice President & Head of U.S. Public and Government Affairs for CN).

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

NS3322 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:03 pm
Here are some photos of the steel transload building for Target Steel at Flat Rock:
steeltransload1.JPG
steeltransload2.JPG
Photos from David "Woody" Woodruff's LinkedIn (Assistant Vice President & Head of U.S. Public and Government Affairs for CN).
Pretty wild that they used a pair of M-2’s to switch an industry.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

David Collins wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:55 pm
NS3322 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:03 pm
steeltransload1.JPG
steeltransload2.JPG
Pretty wild that they used a pair of M-2’s to switch an industry.
They use those to assemble trains on the south side of the yard quite frequently

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Where in the yard property is this new building/transload operation?

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:45 pm
South end of the yard, south of the Vreeland Rd. grade crossing. Hasn’t been much activity yet.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Chip wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:21 am
GP30M4216 wrote:
South end of the yard, south of the Vreeland Rd. grade crossing. Hasn’t been much activity yet.
Ahh, ok, thanks for this. I rarely get to this part of the state anymore but can picture exactly where this is. Did they construct a new spur or runaround to serve the facility? I like that it’s south of Vreeland Road….a chance for photos of the yard job when it has to go down and switch that way!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The irony is there are a pair of steel processing plants at the north end of the yard that had their spurs taken out recently. Neither received much service that I know of in the short time the spurs were there.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:18 am
Chip wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:21 am
GP30M4216 wrote:
Ahh, ok, thanks for this. I rarely get to this part of the state anymore but can picture exactly where this is. Did they construct a new spur or runaround to serve the facility? I like that it’s south of Vreeland Road….a chance for photos of the yard job when it has to go down and switch that way!
Brand new spur just on the east side.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

AARR wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:07 am
The irony is there are a pair of steel processing plants at the north end of the yard that had their spurs taken out recently. Neither received much service that I know of in the short time the spurs were there.
There’s also Target steel literally right next door that sees a good amount of truck traffic.