1st Autoracks for Gaylord

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
dalek ling
Railroadfan...fan

Re: 1st Autoracks for Gaylord

Unread post by dalek ling »

TC Man wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:09 am
dalek ling wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:00 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:09 pm

GLC could never pull off something like this. They couldn’t even get the unit intermodal trains or A2TC off the ground. LSRC is light years ahead of them.
Since when did GLC wanted to do unit intermodal? Never heard of this proposal before
Maybe the empty containers that were going to be shipped via rail to Britten's new facility in Traverse City. They graded for the new siding when the new building was built last year and finished just recently and then apparently the new manager at GLC lost that opportunity. So it's dead in the water.
That’s a shame if it’s true, nothing can go right with GLC, maybe they need WATCO to put them out of there misery :lol:

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

GLC never promoted A2TC in any way shape or form, they are a freight hauler, not passenger trains. If ANYONE thinks A2TC is going to happen, then they don't have ANY railroad knowledge of what it cost to bring track to class 4 or 5 standards. Look how much money MDOT is sinking into passenger project when they took ownership of the NS line in southern Michigan!! that line was in good shape and MDOT still sunk about two and a half to three million a mile to bring the line to class 6 and higher standards!!! Remember, Lake State had to partner up with a large money firm to do what there doing, GLC is doing everything on there own without someone else's deep pockets!!!

Editor Note: Edited the above to remove insults and name calling.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

GP-35 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:05 pm
Remember, Lake State had to partner up with a large money firm to do what there doing, GLC is doing everything on there own without someone else's deep pockets!!!
Is it true that GLC is partnered up with MDOT's deep pockets? How much of the trackage that GLC operates on do they not own and not pay for maintenance?

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

GLC leases a large portion of thier property from the State of Michigan. I don't know the terms of the lease, but I am pretty sure track maintainance is required to be done by and paid for by GLC. The state does pitch in with helping with grant money for some projects, such as the bridge reconstruction coming up in the next couple years.

It is not uncommon for railroads to get federal or state assistance with railroad maintainance projects though through grant programs and similar methods.

Also LSRC also operates state owned lines as well, as the Gaylord to Pinconning section that LSRC operates is state owned and managed. Also operating on state owned tracks are the Huron and Eastern and Indiana Northeastern.

GRHC
Useless Poll Creator

Unread post by GRHC »

Has anybody seen the 1st empty outbound autoracks from Gaylord heading south?

Note: I remember way back when I first started this thread it included a really cool opinion poll. It was then with prejudice and great malice brutally butchered and combined with another much less popular thread about the same topic which was about the 1st Autoracks to Gaylord Michigan. How the GLC AT2C and other things came in to play I’m not quite sure.
With that being said I formally request an administrator or Z himself to lock this thread and put it out of its misery.

I have created a fun opinion poll in the Chit Chat Babble Room regarding this matter.
If you would like to take this poll click on the link below.
viewtopic.php?t=39925
If you would like to take this poll and are not a registered user you can become one by clicking on the link provided below.
ucp.php?mode=register

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

Before this thread gets locked, I would like to offer a positive perspective that I hope we can all agree. Lake State has created new business. How long that business lasts, how profitable it may be, how sustainable, is anyone’s guess, and that to me is secondary. What is primary is the here and now, which is new business. New business offers hope for the future in an ever changing world. It challenges the status quo and it helps to stimulate growth. It also helps to secure a future for the very thing we all enjoy - the enjoyment and appreciation of our collective hobby - the love of the railroad!

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Plannerdad »

David Lang wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:07 pm
Before this thread gets locked, I would like to offer a positive perspective that I hope we can all agree. Lake State has created new business. How long that business lasts, how profitable it may be, how sustainable, is anyone’s guess, and that to me is secondary. What is primary is the here and now, which is new business. New business offers hope for the future in an ever changing world. It challenges the status quo and it helps to stimulate growth. It also helps to secure a future for the very thing we all enjoy - the enjoyment and appreciation of our collective hobby - the love of the railroad!
Agreed.

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

Plannerdad wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:21 pm
David Lang wrote:
Agreed.
Likewise.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Seems kind of like overkill to worry about the winter weather. They will be doing it on a smaller scale, and , I am sure that there are locations in Canada that get worse weather, and more vehicles to move.

GRHC
Useless Poll Creator

Unread post by GRHC »

Jim_c wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:32 pm
Plannerdad wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:21 pm
David Lang wrote:
Agreed.
Likewise.
Ditto.

Typhoon
Rock you like a Hurricane

Unread post by Typhoon »

GP-35 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2024 1:43 pm
Your right, the only thing this is doing is keeping car haulers in check with rates. Thats why Ford is backing this move, the next thing you know they will be storing lumber on the parking lot and the LP gas dealer will be storing gas loads on the two stub tracks. Also wait till winter rolls around, things are moving along good right now, but Flint and Detroit doesn't get any were near the snow fall, and don't forget Gaylord is right in the bullseye of heavy lake effect snow. Trying to unload new car and trucks in a all-out lake effect snow storm and slipping and sliding on a frozen steel ramp isn't all what its cut out to be. It will be a flash in the pan!!!
And yet they are able to unload cars in Buffalo......

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

...and New Boston, and Chicago, and the Twin Cities etc. You guys are trying to make an issue out of nothing.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

dalek ling
Railroadfan...fan

SD80MAC wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:31 am
...and New Boston, and Chicago, and the Twin Cities etc. You guys are trying to make an issue out of nothing.
There are just people that never want Northern Michigan to have any rail action and stick with there failing 1 train a week service

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

dalek ling wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:07 pm
There are just people that never want Northern Michigan to have any rail action and stick with (their) failing 1 train a week service
No, people just don't want money wasted on a stupid passenger train pipe dream.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Ok can some of you guys do me a favor and stop trying to bring up that rediculous AT2 passenger train study. I just want to scream whenever its mentioned. please stop
Exit stage left

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

redside20 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:11 pm
Ok can some of you guys do me a favor and stop trying to bring up that rediculous AT2 passenger train study. I just want to scream whenever its mentioned. please stop
A2TC! A2TC!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

dalek ling
Railroadfan...fan

redside20 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:11 pm
The passenger line that shall not be named

LansingRailFan
Pabst Peddler

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

GP-35 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:05 pm
GLC never promoted A2TC in any way shape or form, they are a freight hauler, not passenger trains. If ANYONE thinks A2TC is going to happen, then they don't have ANY railroad knowledge of what it cost to bring track to class 4 or 5 standards. Look how much money MDOT is sinking into passenger project when they took ownership of the NS line in southern Michigan!! that line was in good shape and MDOT still sunk about two and a half to three million a mile to bring the line to class 6 and higher standards!!! Remember, Lake State had to partner up with a large money firm to do what there doing, GLC is doing everything on there own without someone else's deep pockets!!!

Editor Note: Edited the above to remove insults and name calling.
Can’t even get intermodal to TC going. No wonder the state sees more viability in turning everything north of Cadillac into Wheels on Rails.

Meanwhile LSRC has moved about a dozen autoracks to the arctic tundra of the frozen north.

Which blue railroad you putting your money on?