Man Dies After Getting Hit By Train In Stevensville.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Man Dies After Getting Hit By Train In Stevensville.

Unread post by Jochs »

A 28 year old man drove into the path of CSX train L301-31 on Wednesday at a private crossing. He was taken to the hospital in St. Joseph where he later died.
https://wsbt.com/news/local/28-year-old ... r-michigan
https://www.wndu.com/2024/08/01/man-die ... vensville/
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Re: Man Dies After Getting Hit By Train In Stevensville.

Unread post by Jochs »

Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSS »

Jeff, thanks for taking the time to post these updates. I wanted you to know the information is appreciated, even if the topic garners no replies. (There isn’t anything to say—it’s a sad case at a private crossing—so the fact that people are showing restraint and not saying anything is actually a remarkable example of maturity on the internet.)

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

There are a few questions that need to be asked, but no matter what, this is a sad case where a newlywed was killed.
From other articles it sounds like he simply wasn't paying attention to what was happening as he turned into his driveway and is sadly cost him his life. Supposedly his wife was in the vehicle behind him and witnessed the accident. She will have a long road to recovery after this. Prayers to the family / friends of this young man and the train crew who sadly was involved in this.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

chapmaja wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 2:37 pm
There are a few questions that need to be asked, but no matter what, this is a sad case where a newlywed was killed.
From other articles it sounds like he simply wasn't paying attention to what was happening as he turned into his driveway and is sadly cost him his life. Supposedly his wife was in the vehicle behind him and witnessed the accident.
According to the news report, he was turning out of the driveway onto St. Joseph Rd, from what appears to be a business of some sort.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

J T wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 4:00 pm
chapmaja wrote:
From other articles it sounds like he simply wasn't paying attention to what was happening as he turned into his driveway and is sadly cost him his life. Supposedly his wife was in the vehicle behind him and witnessed the accident.
According to the news report, he was turning out of the driveway onto St. Joseph Rd, from what appears to be a business of some sort.
That seems to be different than the report I found on-line. Either way, very sad situation.

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSS »

chapmaja wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 4:13 pm
J T wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 4:00 pm
chapmaja wrote:
That seems to be different than the report I found on-line. Either way, very sad situation.
What did you find? As usual, news reports regarding rail incidents are rather unclear. But some of them mention the driveway, and the only driveways in that area that cross the tracks are private crossings. So, no matter what exactly happened, the motorist did not have the right of way.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

TSS wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 6:44 pm
no matter what exactly happened, the motorist did not have the right of way.

This is the unfortunately truth. Stop sign posted or not. Most states, including Michigan have an implied stop when you go from a private drive to a public drive to make sure it is safe to proceed. I got a ticket when I was 16 for pulling out of a gas station without coming to a complete stop before pulling out to the main road despite it being safe.
This is the location https://maps.app.goo.gl/E2T7QKwm7PCMYu3V8
The link Jeff posted states the train was headed northbound and Alex was exiting the driveway heading west.

GRHC
Useless Poll Creator

Unread post by GRHC »

It's a sad situation all around. I feel bad for the family and friends of the victim they must be absolutely heartbroken. I also feel bad for the crew of L301 knowing there was nothing they could do to change the outcome and will have to live with the memory. This is not the first time L301 has been involved in a fatal accident. A number of years ago a teenage girl was pulling out of her private dive between Zeeland and Hudsonville Michigan and was killed.

CSXT8390
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXT8390 »

For those who haven't figured it out yet, I work for CSX in Grand Rapids. I was the conductor of L30131. Yes, it was awful. Yes, his wife saw the whole thing. No, it’s not something I will forget anytime soon.

The train was heading “east” back towards Grand Rapids from Sawyer. That would be north as the actual compass works, but the CSX line is always East/West on the Grand Rapids Sub. The driver went from St. Joseph Ave. into the private drive. Slight hesitation, but didn’t stop. His wife was about 500 feet behind him in a second separate vehicle.There was absolutely nothing that could have been done. Anyone who has ever spotted L301 on a “long day” when the train works Arlington Metals at Sawyer knows that train runs very close to track speed the entire day to make it back to GR before the 12 hour mark.

Almost none of the articles I have seen are accurate, but they’re close enough for what the public wants/needs to know.
My opinions and statements are my own personal views and do not represent those of my employer or any other employee associated with my employer unless specifically stated as such.

David Collins
Train Paparazzi

Unread post by David Collins »

CSXT8390 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 3:12 am
…I was the conductor of L30131. Yes, it was awful. Yes, his wife saw the whole thing. No, it’s not something I will forget anytime soon.
Wow… that’s horrible. I’m so sorry :cry:
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

Snapchat: daveeed1k

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

CSXT8390 wrote:
Almost none of the articles I have seen are accurate, but they’re close enough for what the public wants/needs to know.
Thanks for the correction. I believe the public is trying to figure out what went wrong. Incorrect descriptions in the media do not help.

CSXT8390
Railroadfan...fan

justalurker66 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2024 12:53 pm
CSXT8390 wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I believe the public is trying to figure out what went wrong. Incorrect descriptions in the media do not help.
What went wrong is someone who lived at the end of a driveway with railroad tracks forgot the number one rule of trains — watch for them or they can and will kill you.

Zero hesitation. Didn’t even think about stopping for the crossing. Likely distracted. Almost certainly complacent from crossing that rail every day for however long he lived there.
My opinions and statements are my own personal views and do not represent those of my employer or any other employee associated with my employer unless specifically stated as such.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

CSXT 8390...that's the main reason I went into the yard at Wyoming. Next to NO CROSSING incidents. Road work was getting too weird, for many reasons.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

CSXT8390 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:02 am
justalurker66 wrote:
What went wrong is someone who lived at the end of a driveway with railroad tracks forgot the number one rule of trains — watch for them or they can and will kill you.
The media reports made it sound like he was coming out of the business driveway at the crossing, which is between the crossing gates and has no gate. Your accurate description clarifies that gates and lights were present and facing the driver. There is no excuse for driving past a gate.

CSXT8390
Railroadfan...fan

justalurker66 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2024 10:50 pm
CSXT8390 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:02 am
justalurker66 wrote:
The media reports made it sound like he was coming out of the business driveway at the crossing, which is between the crossing gates and has no gate. Your accurate description clarifies that gates and lights were present and facing the driver. There is no excuse for driving past a gate.
It’s a private crossing. There are zero lights and gates. It was the dude’s driveway.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Ok ... The photos of the nearby crossing made it look like it was further down the track. Private crossing with a stop sign.

CSXT8390
Railroadfan...fan

Doktor No wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2024 10:17 am
CSXT 8390...that's the main reason I went into the yard at Wyoming. Next to NO CROSSING incidents. Road work was getting too weird, for many reasons.
Y106 and Y297 have both been involved in crossing wrecks in the last year. Y297 has had 2 fatalities that I know of in the last 2 years. Even the yard jobs aren’t safe anymore.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Y106 goes to Elmdale and back, opening up the mathematical chances for road crossing incidents. Y297? Been gone too long. Which job is that one?
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Doktor No wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2024 4:27 pm
Y106 goes to Elmdale and back, opening up the mathematical chances for road crossing incidents. Y297? Been gone too long. Which job is that one?
West side.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/