What is your favorite Michigan short line operator useless opinion poll

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.

What is your favorite Michigan short line operator

Poll ended at Tue Sep 10, 2024 10:00 pm

Genesee and Wyoming
12%
Watco
15%
Hamilton Hartford
15%
Adrian and Blissfield
12%
Federated
12%
Mr. Larkin/ELS
6%
Mineral Range Inc.
3%
Transtar
No votes
Other
26%

Total votes: 34

GRHC
Useless Poll Creator

What is your favorite Michigan short line operator useless opinion poll

Unread post by GRHC »

Hello everybody I think it's time again for a useless opinion poll. The question for this poll will be what is your favorite Michigan short line operator.
I have listed the Genesee and Wyoming Watco Hamilton Hartford and the Adrian and Blissfield.
I've also included Federated Railways which I believe still owns the Great Lakes Central.
The Escanaba and Lake Superior Railroad which if I am correct is owned by Mr. Larkin.
The Mineral Range Railroad which is owned by Mineral Range Incorporated.
Delray Connecting Railroad which is owned by Transtar.
Other for any that I may have missed such as Patriot Rail which operates the Michigan Southern. Others would include the Indiana and Northeastern LSI etc. etc. etc.

I have set this poll to run for five days and you will have one choice that is changeable.
Remember polls are fun even useless ones.

I have chosen the Hamilton and Hartford corporation as my favorite for two reasons. The first reason is that they are kicking ass and taking no prisoners. My second reason is because they operate the Hamilton Northwestern which is my favorite local hometown short line railroad.
Last edited by GRHC on Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

brianpwestgate
Railroadfan...fan

Re: What is your favorite Michigan short line operator useless opinion poll

Unread post by brianpwestgate »

Michigan Southern is owned by Patriot Rail. Transtar is involved with steel operations.

GRHC
Useless Poll Creator

Unread post by GRHC »

brianpwestgate wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 7:59 am
Michigan Southern is owned by Patriot Rail. Transtar is involved with steel operations.
Yes you are correct I miss read when I was looking at the wiki page and I apologize for any confusion this may have caused. I have changed Michigan Southern to the Delray Connecting Railroad.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Please add Patriot Rail to the options to vote for
GRHC wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:42 am
brianpwestgate wrote:
Yes you are correct I miss read when I was looking at the wiki page and I apologize for any confusion this may have caused. I have changed Michigan Southern to the Delray Connecting Railroad.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GRHC
Useless Poll Creator

Unread post by GRHC »

AARR wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:47 am
Please add Patriot Rail to the options to vote for
GRHC wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:42 am
brianpwestgate wrote:
I'm sorry I do not have the ability to alter the poll without erasing all the previous votes. If patriot rail is your favorite then you'll have to vote other.
For those of you who vote other feel free to post what your favorite operator is in this section.

Delray
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Delray »

Lake State

GRHC
Useless Poll Creator

Unread post by GRHC »

Delray wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 10:18 am
Lake State
I can't believe I did not give Lake State its own selection. Thank you for posting Delray.

Note: when I created this poll
I was tired after a long day of work and maybe I had a few too many puffs on the pipe.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

It was difficult for me to choose between my “favorite” and what I believe is the “best managed”. Up until last Spring my favorite was being managed poorly. Thankfully they seem to have turned it around.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jggilmore7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jggilmore7 »

What, no CSX in the poll? Heck, once they finally get rid of everything west of Plymouth they'll pretty much be down to shortline mileage...

JG

OldBastard
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OldBastard »

Indiana Northeastern has to go under other as well.

GRHC
Useless Poll Creator

Unread post by GRHC »

OldBastard wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 7:11 pm
Indiana Northeastern has to go under other as well.
Yes sir you are correct along with the Michigan Southern Lake State and a few others. At this point in the polling other has 30% of the votes 6 in total. Lake State Railroad in my opinion is probably responsible for most of those 6 votes.

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Lake State-- for keeping things going along the old D&M-- and doing good in general, and having a classy paint scheme, and Indiana Northeastern-- for the same reasons.

Conrail Quality
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Conrail Quality »

WATCO, specifically the Grand Elk. Why, because that is the rail line that runs through my town of Three Rivers. WATCO seem interested in continuing to build business with industries along this line. Unlike NS who really didn't seem interested in continuing what CR had when it operated this route. Would be cool if they could somehow get a connection back in with American Axle, however, from what I have read over the years AM wants very little to do with railroads. So that will probably never happen.

P.S., with the battery plant, Ford Connect, going in at the old Wyoming GM Stamping site and still having tracks into the site, I wonder if WATCO can get some new business there?

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

You mentioned AMERICAN AXLE--- Used to deliver to them in Hamtramck,and at one time they were surrounded by GTW tracks. Today, all the tracks-- except the GT/,CN mainline, are all gone.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Also were serviced by CR. They were unhappy with both railroads because of unpredictable service. Sometimes their cars would be delivered in a week and other times several weeks. They spent a lot of money to remove all the tracks in their plant were happy to get rid of railroad service. But they moved all their manufacturing out of Detroit later so the railroads would have lost the business anyway.
joeyuboats wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2024 6:33 pm
You mentioned AMERICAN AXLE--- Used to deliver to them in Hamtramck,and at one time they were surrounded by GTW tracks. Today, all the tracks-- except the GT/,CN mainline, are all gone.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Lake State Railway and Lake Superior and Ishpeming for me. LSRC just keeps growing and I love the paint scheme and motive power. LS&I has the coolest shots in my personal opinion

GRHC
Useless Poll Creator

Unread post by GRHC »

joeyuboats wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2024 2:01 pm
Lake State-- for keeping things going along the old D&M-- and doing good in general, and having a classy paint scheme, and Indiana Northeastern-- for the same reasons.
Lake State Railway seems to be a railfan favorite. At this point in the polling other has 29% of the votes 9 in total. Lake State Railroad in my opinion is probably responsible for most of those 9 votes. Genesee and Wyoming Watco Hamilton Hartford and the Adrian and Blissfield are all tied for second and have 13% of the votes with 4 votes each.

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

Indiana Northeastern without a doubt. Grown up with them for all my life, and they run a mile from my house.
Attachments
DSC_2700.JPG

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

The one in Carson City.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

:) The Sweet Line
DLM wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2024 10:31 am
The one in Carson City.