MQT - Ludington and Manistee - Rolling Stock Photo Question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
pfs
Railroadfan...fan

MQT - Ludington and Manistee - Rolling Stock Photo Question

Unread post by pfs »

I will be in the great north in the next week and really want to get stuff like this in my crosshairs:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=552959

Any help in where I should go and what I should avoid, would/is greatly appreciated.

lee45174
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lee45174 »

Manistee, Walhalla, Baldwin, Manistee sends trains south in the mid afternoon. I do not know when the drop is made in Walhalla for the Manistee/Ludington cars

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

Operations currently are Sun, Mon, Wed, Fri. Day train (is supposed to) depart Baldwin west bound around 10-11am. When they get to Walhalla, approx 30 min run, they leave Ludington cars on the main east of the Wye. They take cars for Manistee and Filler City north, on the recently upgraded mainline to Manistee. Trip north is approx. 2 hours, at least it was with the 10 mph track. Track is supposed to be 30 now. Stop is made at Martin Marietta to drop off lime. Then the trip around the horn into Manistee. The company is pretty railfan friendly, so as long as your not in the way or acting suspicious, I don't foresee you having problems up north.

After they pick up Manistee, the trip is reversed. Stop at MM for empties south. When they get to Walhalla again, they leave this train north of the wye, and pickup the Ludington cut and head west. Ludingon yard is accessible from a few locations, and again, prolly won't have too much problem as long as common sense is key in decision making. If you make it to Ludington, there is a string of wooden cars in the western part of the yard. (still there guys?) Nice catch if your there. Then the train heads east to Walhalla again, to pick up the other cut with what they picked up in Ludville, and head to Baldwin.

Did I miss anything...Bill or Dave??
Just a Fat Guy

pfs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pfs »

Good info...thanks.

Where will my best odds of finding sitting MQT boxcars be??

If I can get within 10 or 20 yards that would be a bouns.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Where will my best odds of finding sitting MQT boxcars be??
I would think in Manistee Yard or perhaps by the PCA plant in Filer City but I'd start at the yard. I think the MQT box cars are simply restenciled cars from some other railroad, nothing fancy, yet :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Don Simon wrote:I think the MQT box cars are simply restenciled cars from some other railroad, nothing fancy, yet :)
What do you mean nothin fancy? Avery has this one in his collection...wonder if he stencils the full size ones too.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Avery does awesome weathering :!: I hope I can get to that level someday :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Railwidow
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Railwidow »

Just a little tip Avery didn't do that we have a friend who did it for him. At the time that one was done Avery was working alot and didn't have the time. Our friend Dean did the work and weathering. Dean and another friend Jim have a little side business on ebay. Look under 0atman the 0 is a zero.
Vanessa

thomas
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by thomas »

ride with me next time i pick- up rolls at filer city you'll see lots of MQT box cars, there is sometimes 15 sitting around that complex.

pfs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pfs »

So based on the PCA info I come up with this:

(I am assuming its the plant with Mee St. running between it (on the map))

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1

Is this the correct location?

Where will I find Boxes sitting?

Is there anywere I can get shots without issue/law bending?

Thank you one and all for the assistance!

pfs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pfs »

railroadfan wrote:
Don Simon wrote:I think the MQT box cars are simply restenciled cars from some other railroad, nothing fancy, yet :)
What do you mean nothin fancy? Avery has this one in his collection...wonder if he stencils the full size ones too.
I think I have seen this car posted elsewhere...or perhaps found it here via an image search in the past.

Good looking stuff.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

pfs wrote:I think I have seen this car posted elsewhere...or perhaps found it here via an image search in the past.

Good looking stuff.
I think you've seen it linked to here from somewhere else, as long of those MQT model railroad photos have high pageviews compared to lots of other pics in the gallery.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

paperman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by paperman »

If anyone wants MQT pics in the PCA mill let me know. If its on my shift I can let you in and walk you to them. Maybe even stage a few on the run around a the south end of the mill.

leo28150
Deactivated

Unread post by leo28150 »

There was a string of them with all sorts previous heritages on the track next to the coal tower in Baldwin last week when I was up there visiting, just stop in at the office to get permission to be on the property.

pfs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pfs »

paperman wrote:If anyone wants MQT pics in the PCA mill let me know. If its on my shift I can let you in and walk you to them. Maybe even stage a few on the run around a the south end of the mill.
You can still get pretty good shots outside the fence

But inside would be nice.

pfs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pfs »

And yes Manistee is very railfan friendly...I found what I was looking for..

...and

Even stuff I was not looking for.

All of that (and more) in less than 3 hours. I cannot complain.
Never made it to Ludington or Sagnasty but I found much of what I wanted in Manistee. Thanks for all the help!!!

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big Frank »

I saw this gem with a few others Rolling through Wyoming Yard.