CN Holly Sub

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SteveTJ
Railroadfan...fan

CN Holly Sub

Unread post by SteveTJ »

Was passing through Davisburg this morning. When looking west down the tracks, I saw what looked to be a slow order sign right before the eaton road crossing. Has anyone seen any work going on up the line today?
My YouTube Videos
www.youtube.com/stevetj001

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

I think there was a meet at Holly Siding this AM. The SB signals at the diamond in Holly were green over red at ~6:30, indicating something was cleared down from Durand, but everything I saw SB on down to Pontiac was red. Then I got to Scott Lake Rd, where I saw a train heading NB out of the yard, probably 7:00-7:10ish. Unfortunately I couldn't drag my feet too much getting to work this morning, so I missed the action. :(

Edit: Oh wait, you said a sign. I didn't notice anything there this morning, but there were a couple of CN trucks at the Airport Rd crossing near Red Lava.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

According to one of my CN contacts, you can't get any information from the intermediate signals. They have a default setting, and are useless. Only the 'home signals' count. That's the way the boss wants them set. Take your chances.
Norm

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

Yup, the only time you know something is up is when they are not showing the default. The trick is figuring out what the default is. For example, the NB intermediate signal in Davisburg is usually green. If you see it red, then either a SB may be on its way or you may have just missed a NB. And as you said, the only way to know for sure is to find an absolute signal at a siding or at the Holly diamond.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Holly and Andersonville are the ruling home signals. North of that would be the pass at Gaines, and it ain't that long.
Norm

SteveTJ
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by SteveTJ »

Its definitely been awhile since I've seen those Davisburg signals not display their default settings. I guess I keep stopping by at the wrong times, although occasionally I'll get lucky. I also cruised by the siding at andersonville this morning but all signals were red so I decided to head home. Does traffic on the Holly seem to be picking up any or is it about the same as it was over the winter? I grew up in Waterford and miss those days when the line had more traffic.
My YouTube Videos

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

It seems like traffic's about the same, though there have been a few more SB trains in the morning, like today. I should have parked my butt in Holly when I saw that green over red, but waiting would probably have made me late for work.

The AM times appear to have shifted lately, too. I was seeing E251 almost every day between 7:00 and 8:00 in the spring, but I think they're running about an hour later now. There's also a NB mixed freight that runs in the 5:30-6:30 range, but that's a little early for me.

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

I don't know if you've noticed recently Dave, but seems to me the coal traffic has picked up somewhat. I used to see it 2-3 times a week then it sorta died off. Now it seems to be coming back, including yesterdays' WB run as the wife and I were walking the dogs after 6:00 p.m. I was too far away for numbers but I know the white/green BNSF had the lead with probably 120 empties.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

That was probably the MTY train I saw parked in Pontiac yesterday morning.

This morning E251 was making up in the yard at ~7:30, with a green signal on the bridge between Scott Lake and Watkins Lake. So it seems they are running a bit on the later side these days.

I also got to see a mixed freight going over the M59 overpass SB with bluebird GTW 5936 in the lead. Pretty cool looking in the morning light - the camera was at home, of course.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

On Tuesday watched a meet by Pontiac's Amtrak station around 3pm. Southbound had a pair of SD70's and 100+ cars of mixed freight. Northbound had a SD40-2W and IC SD40-2 and 100+ cars too.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

BTW Dave your pic of that EB on 6/3/08 the single engine CN C-44-9-WL from rrpicturearchives.net if you cross the tracks heading north that's my house on the left near the pond.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

SteveTJ wrote:...Has anyone seen any work going on up the line today?
Looks like there's some kind of work going on up here. The spur in Holly had some MOW equipment parked on it this morning: a ballast regulator (CN 62544) and a Plasser Roadmaster 2000, which is a wire-liner / tamper (thanks to Google).
firemedic54 wrote:BTW Dave your pic of that EB on 6/3/08 the single engine CN C-44-9-WL from rrpicturearchives.net if you cross the tracks heading north that's my house on the left near the pond.
I figured you were in that one or the one across the street. I live south of town in the Forest Hills sub. Not a front row seat like yours, but I can hear trains blowing crossings from Fenton to Linden.

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

I guess I've never looked at it as front row seating but I like that!! Having never lived that close to tracks took a little getting used to at first but now I wish there was more traffic. :wink: :wink:

SteveTJ
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by SteveTJ »

Stopped by Davisburg today to grab some lunch from the party store. The MOW work being done in Holly explains why the sign (which I believe indicates slow order) is still in place just before the Eaton road crossing facing the north/west bound trains. Firemedic54, what a great location you have.
Last edited by SteveTJ on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube Videos

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Not sure what they were doing because I couldn't get close enough, but there was a slow order in Davisburg, and a stop order northbound at Ratalee Lake Rd. Another stop order sign southbound in Holly. Around noon there was a clear signal for a northbound. He was running slow through Holly, so I guess the MOW crew stepped aside for him.

Maintenance in the way. :wink:
Norm

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

At ~4:00pm yesterday the tamper was parked at the Andersonville spur, no sign of the ballast regulator.

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks Steve...I can't tell you the countless amounts of pennies the kids have had smashed right there. We usually hear them from a distance either direction. Since the tornado took out most of the trees in town and in our backyard, we can really hear them coming from Linden much better.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

Looks like some more MOW work is going on in the northern Holly. A white semi-truck with gonds & crane (like this one) was parked on the spur in Holly, and there was something else parked on the Andersonville spur but I couldn't get a clear enough view to see what it was.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

odave wrote:Looks like some more MOW work is going on in the northern Holly. A white semi-truck with gonds & crane (like this one) was parked on the spur in Holly, and there was something else parked on the Andersonville spur but I couldn't get a clear enough view to see what it was.
And this morning that rig was in Davisburg unloading new ties just north of Eaton Rd.
Norm

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

They must be doing work in either Springfield or Independence Twps. I haven't seen a thing up our way Dave. Unless they're extending the Andersonville siding?? Or maybe the siding in Holly??