Kelloggs-Battle Creek

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Kelloggs-Battle Creek

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Does Kelloggs still ship boxcars out :?: NS B57 reports I read do not have boxcars in the consists. CN battle creek yard is the only other one that can handle the boxcars but with the yard on the brink of closure I wonder how and if Kelloggs ships out boxcars. I know the old conrail YDBC handled hi cube boxcars as pictures showed them in Hinman Yard. Today the only one if not NS is CN.
Last edited by ConrailDetr​oit on Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I was told that the box cars in Kellogg's yard haven't moved in a long time, years maybe.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Kelloggs had their own ex penn central boxcars. Its sad they dont ship boxcars of cornflakes. :( Another one for trucks :cry:

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

milineamtrak wrote:Kelloggs had their own ex penn central boxcars. Its sad they dont ship boxcars of cornflakes. :( Another one for trucks :cry:
Those are still running around, somewhere. I've seen them in Elkhart a couple times... Not sure where they run to or from though.
~ Charles W.

amtrakjackson
Deactivated

Unread post by amtrakjackson »

Beside the former Conrail, nee Penn Central X79 cars (which were built for Kellogg service) KELX also has some ex-GTW boxcars of two different types. Waffle-side 60' double-plug door, and some Pullman-Standard 60' boxes.

They used to ship boxcars to a warehouse in Lancaster, PA. Dunno if they still do. In late Conrail days they'd go via JAEL or DREL to ELPI B then on PILA to Dillerville, PA.

Here is an ex-GTW waffle-sided car, built for dedicated Kellogg's service, shot in Altoona (courtesy of the railcar photos.com site):

And an ex-GTW P-S box. IIRC these are exx-L&N:

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

I'd forgotten about those Kellogg owned cars, I'm going to have to paint/decal a few up for my soon to be built HO layout. IIRC, I think they had some GTW blue ones too.

Todd

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Kellogg's used to warehouse product in the building at the SE corner of 44th & Clay in GR. The building owner had the siding renovated 5-6 years ago but I don't think they ever ran a car into the building. Sprinter Services division of Columbian Distribution, did the warehousing and all the yard switching of the trailers. The lot was always stuffed with trailers waiting to be loaded. All gone and the building empty today :( . There used to be KELX cars in Hughart Yard from time to time. Not sure if they loaded them locally or they were just stored here.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

As an aside, cars of corn meal come out of Indianapolis from the Illinois Cereal plant on the west side of downtown and are shipped to Battle Creek. Not sure of the routing after they leave CSX, but they are routed to Transfer Yard (not far from the plant) and interchanged with the NS at Muncie, IN. I'd imagine they make their way to Elkhart for forwarding to Battle Creek. Cars are usually IMCX, which is owned by ADM IIRC.

So even if you don't model a Kellog's plant, you could conceivably run hoppers of 'meal' bound for the Corn Flake Factories off your pike.

Practice Safe CSX

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

I do model battle creek so thats why im asking. That was great info CSX CO.

When CN/GTW did switch Kelloggs what part would they switch :?: The corn meal or Boxcars. I think the boxcars

elliot98SS
Railroadfan...fan

KLEX

Unread post by elliot98SS »

Rail Model Journal had an article on the ex PC now Kellogg's box cars around 2002 or 2003. Good reference for modeling. Sadly, I don't have that one in my collection.
--Elliot
visit me on e bay, seller list wnovess99

amtrakjackson
Deactivated

Unread post by amtrakjackson »

Rail Yard Models makes a kit for the X79 ex-CR cars. They also make decals separately. The former GTW cars aren't available, but the Athearn Genesis PS 60' box is a good stand-in for the rib-side car if you can live with two full plug doors instead of a door and a half. The PCRRHS makes PC green in a spray can for those so inclined. Microscale has a Jade Green trim film set as well. I did one this way and it eBayed for over $150 a few years back. :)

I've seen those ICMX hoppers at Ralston before.

thomas
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by thomas »

i was at the shipping office last friday , delivering box's to kelloggs, the 2 tracks going inside were pretty rust covered, i'll have to ask them if they are shipping in box cars anymore.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

milineamtrak wrote:I do model battle creek so thats why im asking. That was great info CSX CO.

When CN/GTW did switch Kelloggs what part would they switch :?: The corn meal or Boxcars. I think the boxcars
Just so you know, it only amounts to maybe 3-5 cars a day on the "Muncie Flyer" so I'm sure they get corn meal from other places too. But, if you have even just a small mill on your layout, you could justify having a contract with Kelloggs.

Practice Safe CSX

pfs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pfs »

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Last I heard other Kellogg's plants ship out product by rail and still do significant rail business in and out. For whatever the reason Battle Creek seems way down from what I'm reading.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...