CN Holly Sub

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

The tie rig is back on the Holly spur as of 16:00. The new ties are piled along the track through Davisburg as far north of Eaton Rd as I could see, and as far south as the bridge by Millpond park. I think I saw the Andersonville MOW critter headed back to Pontiac between the Airport Rd and Williams Lake Rd crossing.

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

I left the fire station at 18:00 and saw the unit tied down on the spur. Didn't see much activity around. I'm guessing it'll stay there the rest of the holiday weekend.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

I was at South Blvd in Pontiac yesterday at 7:45. Caught the local coming from Checker to the yard.

Picture to follow soon.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

The tie gons were on the spur in Holly this AM - I love the smell of creosote in the morning! On the way home tonight I saw more new ties piled alongside the tracks from the Davisburg Rd crossing to south around the curve after the Ripley Rd crossing. Caught a glimpse of something MOW-ish heading NB from Hogback Lake Rd, so maybe they'll be replacing ties all the way down to Andersonville siding.

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

I saw them on the spur yesterday as well but not sure if they're still there as of this morning. Don't know if you've noticed or not Dave but the crossing at Howard seems to be getting worse. The city filled in some of the gaps with asphalt but I'd say it's only a temporary fix.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

They're not in Holly anymore. There was a whole string of MOW critters on the siding in Andersonville (not the spur), so they may be starting that work today. The new ties are piled from just north of Hogback Lake Rd on up through Davisburg.

I haven't noticed the grade crossing getting any worse, but my struts are shot so everything seems bad :)

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

If you go by there anytime soon stop and take a look. You can see all kinds of gaps and pits along the rail and where the city (presumably) filled it in with asphalt.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

MOW was busy with the ties all through downtown Davisburg this afternoon. Too bad I couldn't stay and watch :(

SteveTJ
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by SteveTJ »

Speaking of bad crossings, went over the worst one I've seen in a long time yesterday on Lake George Rd near Imlay City. Evidently this has been an ongoing issue because the road commission has orange signs posted on both sides of the crossing telling people that the crossing is maintained by CN and also giving a 800 number to call CN and voice concerns or complaints.
My YouTube Videos
www.youtube.com/stevetj001

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Pretty bad when the road commision has to post a sign telling people it's not their fault and who to call. Obviously they're catching a ton a flak. Another one is Milford Rd. in Rose Twp. (south of Holly) south of Davisburg Rd. That one is really rough, but what makes it worse is it's on a curve. You're making the turn then hit that crossing and it sends your vehicle over to the other lane.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CN had a bad crossing on Groesbeck south of Mt. Clemens for a long time. It sunk so deep that cars had to come to a crawl to go over it. It's a major 5 lane raod and during rush hour there were long lines to get across the tracks. I'm told it took CN a while to fix it creating a major headache for many drivers.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

I know the one you're talking about Don. It's been awhile since I've had to cross it but I do remember it being pretty rough. CSX has some awful crossings in the Holly area on some of the back roads.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

odave,

They were at Andersonville this morning, and appeared ready to go to work. It was raining lightly, so I decided not to hang around and take photos.
Norm

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

On my way home I noticed the signal was green at White Lake Rd. So I took a chance and headed down Andersonville Rd. heading north hoping for a train. Sadly there was no train but I did see the MOW crew just north of Andersonville Rd. at Farley Rd. The big hi-rail leading the tie gons making their way south.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

The lead MOW units were at the Andersonville-Farley Rd. crossing this afternoon, with most of the crew working on the main through Andersonville itself. They're cranking right along...

SteveTJ
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by SteveTJ »

Was going down White Lake Rd yesterday about 4:30 in the afternoon and seen a huge backup and the crossing signals on. When I got up to the tracks, seen MOW just south of the crossing.
My YouTube Videos

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Tuesday, the tie gang made good progress. They went from South Andersonville well past White Lake Rd. As of 2:30 this afternoon, they had barely crossed Windiate Dr. 391 departed early today, and they had the track since 8:00. They didn't get started until 10:30.

Looks like they will be approaching Airport Rd. in the morning. I can stake out at Red Lava, on the south side of the tracks, and get some pictures with a clear view.
Norm

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

The hi-rail was parked just north of the Watkins Lake Rd. crossing ~15:30, and I could see the rest of the crew a ways north of Red Lava. They might be working there first thing tomorrow morning. I've never watched a tie gang move before, it does seem like they're cruising right along.

SteveTJ
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by SteveTJ »

I hope you can get some pictures Norm. The new switch that you were hoping to get pictures of being installed on the Chicago Wye in Durand is still sitting there as of last Friday.
My YouTube Videos

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

The tie gang was working the stretch along Dixie between Hatchery Rd and Watkins Lake Rd yesterday at ~16:00. For once I didn't mind being stuck at the lights :) I also saw a construction sign saying Airport Rd would be closed at the "RR" starting 9/15 - maybe they'll be working on the grade crossing.