Cranes

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Cranes

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Do cranes have their own power in them or do they need a locomotive to move them :?:

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Cranes

Unread post by KenB »

locomotive cranes are self-propelled and can pull one or two cars.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Here is a crane on the shared assets at Delray.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

I believe they call these Burrow Cranes. Is there any that still run on CSX? I am referring to the 2-axle ones that are usually in a yellow paint scheme that I saw many times in the 1990s carrying 2-3 gondolas and hoppers up Middle River and East Yard here in Plymouth.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Burrow cranes are two axle jobs, used to be one in Saginaw, that went out on the main all the time. One in Walbridge, but havent seen it move. The ex-CR ones, and still CR ones, are American cranes. They are a four wheel two truck type, like the photo. One at Stanley yard, one in Toledo on the NS here, and maney more.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Do they actually still run any of them Matt? I haven't seen one go through here in years.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

thebaron
Railroadfan...fan

Stanley yard crane

Unread post by thebaron »

The crane in Stanley yard is used mainly to pick up scrap and other metal debris that fall out of the gons in "the bowl" in K-yard.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

The crane at the National New York Central Museum in Elkhart (Indiana) has two six axle trucks. One axle on each truck is/was powered, which allowed crews on the museum grounds to shuffle the museum's equipment around for maintenance and display purposes. I believe the axles were connected via a chain drive to the crane's internal diesel motor. However it's connected, the crane has/had enough power to move several cars at once, as well as the occasional GG1 or steam locomotive. I remember riding in the cab of a certain steamer as it was pushed by that crane through the museum grounds...it was quite an experience. :wink:
~ Charles W.

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikerm19 »

C&M has both.

The ex-C&O 250-Ton Brownhoist #101003 crane we have can move on it's own (probably similar to above). You should see this thing move. If it doesn't instill at least some fear into you, nothing will (you thought tracks moved and made noise under normal load...). The crane weighs a little over 250 tons.

We have a smaller crane that can't move on it's own, but still requires a boom tender car.

Then we have a little tie crane, that does move on it's own (chain driven), and it's awesome to operate.
Mike
http://www.mitrain.net Come see us!

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

That one at the National NYC Museum is one of the New York Central's 250 ton Industrial Brownhoist cranes, similar to the C&M's C&O of the same type. Built in Bay City, MI, actually. The one at the NNYC Museum is from the donated Selkirk wrecker train the Museum acquired in the late 90s. Funny thing, the 250 tonner from the Elkhart Yard is actually at the Railroader's Museum of Altoona in Pennsylvania! The NYC Museum also has a older 150 tonner on the property which is not operable that i know if.

As for those American Cranes from the Conrail, I've seen one often parked at Livernois Yard at the east end yard office. I remember seeing one around Kalamazoo in the past too, but unsure of where it came from. I also recall seeing them doing work on Conrail lines around Delray, and on the Junction 2ndary near Dix and Oakwood.

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Thats what it is (C&M's yellow crane), it's an American. Thanks, I forgot.
Mike

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

Mike, the American (Yellow) crane used to be self propelled, but one of our past volunteers exceeded the mechanical speed limit and burned out the traction motors. You missed this past weekend, we actually used it to do some lifting. I'll tell you about it when I see you next. Happy railfanning!
Just a Fat Guy

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

the American (Yellow) crane used to be self propelled, but one of our past volunteers exceeded the mechanical speed limit and burned out the traction motors.
It was hauled "dead in tow" at a speed the motors should have been cut out for. The motors literally exploded. It was a handy little machine up to that point.

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Oh yeah, I heard all about what happened.. lol
Mike

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

I occasionally see one of CN's cranes on the Holly. It's self propelled, ugly, black, and moves slow enough a snail could outrun it.

IIRC, it has a sticker on the outside saying something like the maximum speed is 20 MPH. 10 is about the fastest I've ever seen it move.
Norm