COE Question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Stitch
Railroadfan...fan

COE Question

Unread post by Stitch »

Since they are shipping the Alco out to an unknown fate what are they using to move freight to what customers they have?

Also any idea when the Alco will be shipped out?
Last edited by Stitch on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Railpictures.net contributions -
Railroad Picture Archives.net - http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

What does this have to do with the GRE?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

They usually run the EL F7 and GTW SW1200 around the line 95% of the time. I personally never saw that Alco S2 ever run. Everytime I passing through at Walled Lake Station, that Alco was sitting on the siding behind the station between the bumper and CSX and Coe Rail MOW cars. CSX did store some MOW stuff in Walled Lake for some point in time. So far, they still haven't sold their major power. They always ran the GTW SW1200, then EL F7 to the interchange, unhook the engines, put the SW1200 on their "Main" track between the Wye and the bumper where the diamond once was and went to South Lyon. The F7 would get the cars on the wye, then pull them back past the switch, then the SW1200 would hook to the other end and then head back to Walled Lake to the Plastic Toy Company and Lumber Mart, then reverse the process when dropping off cars to CSX. As far as my knowledge, Coe Rail ran a freight train last Wednesday and probably will still until they have sold all their power or otherwise. I think the only thing that is completely done is the Star Clipper Dinner Train. Even if they sell one or the other of the two locomotives, they got those F7s (Ex-Metro North? ) sitting on the east-end of their "Yard" in Walled like that I have never seen move in addition with the Alco S2.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Coe Rail ran a freight train last Wednesday and probably will still until they have sold all their power or otherwise
I'm pretty sure they are legally obligated to provide service until the STB rules that they can discontinue service. That requires notice to the customers and opportunity for the customers to protest the discontinuance.

RRTTF
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RRTTF »

No requirement from STB that they provide the dinner train. And, since they are BROKE, when they stop running they will stop running. The dinner train has been "done" for a while, there was a web site where they were getting really bad reviews. I know a couple people that called it the Star Puker, because the food was that bad.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

No requirement from STB that they provide the dinner train. And, since they are BROKE, when they stop running they will stop running. The dinner train has been "done" for a while, there was a web site where they were getting really bad reviews. I know a couple people that called it the Star Puker, because the food was that bad.
The discussion was about freight service, not the dinner train. Even if your broke, I believe you still need permission to discontinue service.

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

RRTTF wrote:No requirement from STB that they provide the dinner train. And, since they are BROKE, when they stop running they will stop running. The dinner train has been "done" for a while, there was a web site where they were getting really bad reviews. I know a couple people that called it the Star Puker, because the food was that bad.

I ate on the Star Clipper about a dozen times between 1992 and 2001 and thought the food was excellent. I always took the musical option. Things may have changed since my last trip and that would be sad. I am sorry to see its demise. :cry:

RRTTF
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RRTTF »

Here is a like to a web site with patron comments. Looks like they were not up to snuff in more recent years.

[url]http://www.touristrailways.com/namerica ... s/246.html[/url]

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

RRTTF wrote:No requirement from STB that they provide the dinner train. And, since they are BROKE, when they stop running they will stop running. The dinner train has been "done" for a while, there was a web site where they were getting really bad reviews. I know a couple people that called it the Star Puker, because the food was that bad.
Yeah, the trip wasn't that great. The food wasn't good, our table was on-top of the dining car's trucks so we felt every single bump on that crappy track. The waitress kept talking to my mother about how her son lives in her basement! :shock: I thought it was alright because the fact I took a train ride, but that was it. Ride was fair, food was bad, entertainment was not that great. 2 out of 5 in my rating.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

RRTTF wrote:Here is a like to a web site with patron comments. Looks like they were not up to snuff in more recent years.

http://www.touristrailways.com/namerica ... s/246.html
My gf and I rode the train last year. The "prime rib" tasted like it came on a cheap, catered dinner that you'd get at an average wedding reception.

The dinner and entertainment did NOT live up to the price we paid to ride.

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

:? It's sad things went that way as my experiences years ago were pleasant and enjoyable.
Evidently a dinner train business is hard to do. I took the Grand Traverse Dinner train back in 98 and enjoyed it. I think the real problem is that you have to pay $80 for a $20 meal and $60 for the train ride and there just aren't enough people(railfans) who will pay the extra dollars.

One memerable moment on the star clipper was seeing an owl about 5 feet out the window on an oak tree limb covered with snow. It happened s :D omewhere in the vicinity of Woodpecker Lake.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:They usually run the EL F7 and GTW SW1200 around the line 95% of the time. I personally never saw that Alco S2 ever run. Everytime I passing through at Walled Lake Station, that Alco was sitting on the siding behind the station between the bumper and CSX and Coe Rail MOW cars. CSX did store some MOW stuff in Walled Lake for some point in time. So far, they still haven't sold their major power. They always ran the GTW SW1200, then EL F7 to the interchange, unhook the engines, put the SW1200 on their "Main" track between the Wye and the bumper where the diamond once was and went to South Lyon. The F7 would get the cars on the wye, then pull them back past the switch, then the SW1200 would hook to the other end and then head back to Walled Lake to the Plastic Toy Company and Lumber Mart, then reverse the process when dropping off cars to CSX. As far as my knowledge, Coe Rail ran a freight train last Wednesday and probably will still until they have sold all their power or otherwise. I think the only thing that is completely done is the Star Clipper Dinner Train. Even if they sell one or the other of the two locomotives, they got those F7s (Ex-Metro North? ) sitting on the east-end of their "Yard" in Walled like that I have never seen move in addition with the Alco S2.
When has CSX ever gone down that line past Wixom Rd or onto the old Main for that matter?
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

Not sure Mike, I was suprised to see that CSX MOW stuff in Walled Lake, but this was a good 3 years ago.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Are you talking about the track equipment that was parked by 52? I had always thought that that belonged to them.

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

Mike Tabone wrote:Are you talking about the track equipment that was parked by 52? I had always thought that that belonged to them.
Yeah it was behind Coe Rail #52. On the siding you had the switch, CSX MOW equipment, un-marked MOW equipment, Coe Rail #52, and the bumper.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

If that was the tamper that was in Wixom at the loading dock for a few days, then that wasn't CSX it was a lease companies. They parked it in S. Lyon, then took it to Wixom, maybe coe leased it

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

Mike Tabone wrote:If that was the tamper that was in Wixom at the loading dock for a few days, then that wasn't CSX it was a lease companies. They parked it in S. Lyon, then took it to Wixom, maybe coe leased it
Probably. It said CSXT on the side.

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big Frank »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:
Mike Tabone wrote:If that was the tamper that was in Wixom at the loading dock for a few days, then that wasn't CSX it was a lease companies. They parked it in S. Lyon, then took it to Wixom, maybe coe leased it
Probably. It said CSXT on the side.

What if I have a pic of an NS engine with a CSXT plate stamped on the cab does that mean its a CSX engine??
Beating Up Foamer's and Rail Nerds Since 1981... I h8 u all!!!!

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Which engine are you referring to?

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I don' t even know anymore.