Wixom/ Novi Industries Question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Wixom/ Novi Industries Question

Unread post by Racer »

I know D739 goes up to Wixom and back almost everyday to drop-off/ pick-up cars in Lincoln Yard. My question is if D739 or a Yard Job switch-out at the lumber yard in Milford, Coe Rail Interchange and the cement plant across from it (That has a GE 80 Tonner), or the CVS Pharmacy Distribution Center near Novi Road?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Stitch
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Stitch »

CVS does not get any rail shipments. They do get some intermodal trailers trucked in. The spur for all intents and purposes has not been used in atleast 4 years.
Railpictures.net contributions -
Railroad Picture Archives.net - http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Thats not an 80 tonner, looks morel like a 25 tonner if its a GE
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Does CSX still have the bulk material transload yard in Wixom? Consumers Energy had a pole yard there? There was a warehouse west of Wixom Rd. that got 86' box cars of toys from China at one time. There was once a window place west of Wixom Rd. that got SOO box cars from time to time.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

That pole yard is owned by The Detroit Edison Company and still gets rail shipment of wood poles.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks KenB. I haven't been by there in years so I'm just throwing out what I think I remember :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Is the CVS place you guys refer to the business along the Novi siding between I-96 and 12 Mile Road?

The Wixom area is really interesting what with lots of signals and passing tracks, etc, it's just too bad there aren't more trains up that way.

Stitch
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Stitch »

Just south of the siding.
Railpictures.net contributions -
Railroad Picture Archives.net - http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Alright then what's the place to the east of the tracks just north of the I-96 bridge that has a spur going into it? I parked in their lot once to watch Q322 go north and get some photos of the Cantilever signal right behind. Do they get active rail service?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

The spur you can see from the I96 overpass goes to a place that builds plastic injector equipment. To the best of my knowledge they've never used their spur.

On the opposite side of the overpass, just out of view, is another spur that goes to a plastics plant. I don't know if they get service anymore.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

What was the business on the south side of I-96 that once had a spur visible from the eastbound lanes, just west of Novi Rd? The spur was between the building and the highway, and if the image in my mind is correct, it came through the building and then out of the north side of the building, and then split into three (or vice versa). I want to say the building is still there, but it actually may have been replaced. I remember seeing this spur in the 70's and have no recollection of when it was removed. The current building nearby that area is the big Novi convention/events center (can't remember the name of it right now).

Does this explanation ring a bell for anyone?

Here is where I think I remember it being:

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Whats bizare to me is that from 12 mile rd at the north end of the Novi Pass, you can see rr crossing signs from the road in that place. Its Called Husky
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

J T wrote:What was the business on the south side of I-96 that once had a spur visible from the eastbound lanes, just west of Novi Rd? The spur was between the building and the highway, and if the image in my mind is correct, it came through the building and then out of the north side of the building, and then split into three (or vice versa). I want to say the building is still there, but it actually may have been replaced. I remember seeing this spur in the 70's and have no recollection of when it was removed. The current building nearby that area is the big Novi convention/events center (can't remember the name of it right now).

Does this explanation ring a bell for anyone?

Here is where I think I remember it being:

There used to be quite a few tracks that were in there. The remnants of the spur at the top of the photo just before the bridge used to go to the back of the building of what used to be the Novi Expo Center, not sure what it was before that but I know they loaded tank cars. The grade actually sat higher than the tracks that came out of the north end of the other building where there is now a parking lot. So you are right JT, there used to be a spur there or two on that side of the building because I remember seeing quite a few tracks going into that building from the south side.
Last edited by conrailmike on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

There used to be quite a few tracks that were in there. The remnants of the spur at the top of the photo just before the bridge used to go to the back of the building of what used to be the Novi Expo Center, not sure what it was before that but I know they loaded tank cars. The grade actually sat higher than the tracks that came out of the north end of the other building where there is now a parking lot.
Oh - that spur. I completely forgot about that one. I don't know what the building closest to the tracks shipped but I was told the company previous to NEC manufactured something related to alcohol. In addition to tank cars they also received refrigerator cars.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

At one time that spur went into the PARAGON plant that built and maintained autoracks. They folded. The spur that went up the hill to the Novi Expo center went to a whiskey company, Mohawk Liquor. They moved out of Detroit. Received tankcars of wiskey to be blended. After only a few years they were bought out and operations moved out of state.
Novi Expo center built, track removed.

That place north of I-96 has a spur. Think they build big machines but truck everything. Think frog for switch is removed.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Mohawk Liquor
That's it. Thanks KenB. Someone told me they also received refrigerator cars but perhaps they were mistaken...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

conrailmike wrote: So you are right JT, there used to be a spur there or two on that side of the building because I remember seeing quite a few tracks going into that building from the south side.
Thanks! All I have is this image in my mind from when I was a kid. I have an aunt in Farmington Hills that we used to go visit a lot when I was young, and I always used to look for a train on that spur but never saw one. As the years go by and things change, with no evidence of tracks ever being there, I start to question if I ever actually saw it or just imagined it. :lol: