CP TRAINS

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Re: CP TRAINS

Unread post by trnwatcher »

I still say as long as CSX is haulng coal to West Olive from the east or the west, this line will not be sold. I could see where CP would want to get trains back on the CSX Plymouth to Porter line because traffic is down on CSX and with ongoing signal and track improvements they could probably beat times to to Chicago via the NS route they take now.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

geeps
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by geeps »

After NS put all that money into the Wabash, and CP to hire and train crews, it seems uneconomical to reroute trains up to the old C&O. Even if they do move trains up there, they are still going to have delays, its still single track which ever way you go.
Also heard NS and CP got in a pissi'n match over traffic lost to CP.
Last week I spent to whole day in the park jogging, and no CP trains came by. But NS was pretty busy without CP traffic. As of the last couple days I've seen a lot of CP trains, I'm deff hopin they drop this silly business with CSX and stick with the Wabash.
We'll see.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

geeps wrote:After NS put all that money into the Wabash, and CP to hire and train crews, it seems uneconomical to reroute trains up to the old C&O. Even if they do move trains up there, they are still going to have delays, its still single track which ever way you go.
Also heard NS and CP got in a pissi'n match over traffic lost to CP.
Last week I spent to whole day in the park jogging, and no CP trains came by. But NS was pretty busy without CP traffic. As of the last couple days I've seen a lot of CP trains, I'm deff hopin they drop this silly business with CSX and stick with the Wabash.
We'll see.
Last edited by Typhoon on Fri May 08, 2009 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geeps
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by geeps »

What is the problem with Eastbounds?

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

geeps wrote:What is the problem with Eastbounds?
I should start out by saying I hate eastbounds between Chicago and GR. First it starts with Bensenville. Since the train does not run over any CP trackage, there is little to no push to get the train out in any sort of time. For the most part X500s leave the yard with the crew on duty at least 3 hours. Next you have to get the train over the Belt and the NS. As stated the CP has very little interest in the train, so they are not going to push to run it, and if deals have to be made by CSX to get traffic moving on those lines, it will be for CSX traffic, not CP traffic. Four to five hours were the norm for getting over those lines(it has gotten better with traffic down of late, but that will change). So now we have a train that is comming onto the railroad at Porter with 4 hours to work, run time from Porter to GR is 3 1/2 hours. Throw in the fact that CP LOVES to run these trains as one unit wonders, with a good size hill between Porter and GR, and you now know why eastbounds suck.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

csxdispatcher wrote:Throw in the fact that CP LOVES to run these trains as one unit wonders, with a good size hill between Porter and GR, and you now know why eastbounds suck.
I figured part of it had to do with "the hill."
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

geeps
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by geeps »

Sounds like NS is kind of slowing CP down to move their own trains.

What were the reasons for CP going to the Wabash?

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

geeps wrote:Sounds like NS is kind of slowing CP down to move their own trains.

What were the reasons for CP going to the Wabash?
There were a few such as the CP trains going into Detroit would often be "piled-up" to go into the terminal (Back when CSX had alot more traffic going in/out of Detroit) and trains were running late and also the fees CSX hammered on CP. I'm sure there were other issues, but those were some of the biggest.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

gridejq
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gridejq »

Chris-
The main reason was the "speed" issue and how long it took to get from CHi to the D....but CP thought that they could pick up and run faster on NS which lasted momentarily...CP wasnt happy with the single track CSX and saw double from Butler to Chi and their eyes lit up...fees werent the issue then..

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

One thing that REALLY contributed to that "speed" problem were layovers at Wyoming yard. Actually, this is still evident with some of CSX's own trains now. Have you guys seen how long some of the through trains sit in the yard?? I've seen X500 come in and sit for up to six or more hours before a new crew is called.
Recently, some trains, most often K356 and K357 have come into the yard to be recrewed IMMEDIATELY and then be on their way again. If CSX would have done that with the CP traffic, they may have stayed on.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

There was a certin Division Manager at the time too, that thought we didnt need the CP either, so that didnt help.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Bentrail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bentrail »

The big reason that CP left was Management wasn't treating them very well.
CP also wanted there own crews running there trains.
CSX would have to dump a lot of money in this line,
i don't see that happening right now.

anumber1
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by anumber1 »

"Pete was the main reason that the trains are gone."

Exactly. The daily CP conference call turned into CP taking to CP with DET/CHI just not being there in the conversation.

The attitude was "who cares? We certainly don't".

The CP went looking for better options.

Once GRR lost Bengston and Suave, we were doomed. The movement of the trains (and the delay thereof) really isn't a labor issue but a management issue. CSX simply could care less about bridge traffic on a line/state that is deemed "surplus".

The "Guys" all knew/know what that bridge traffic meant. So did the local mgt. CHI-JAX is/was the problem.