Where to train watch in Bay City

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Alan
Railroadfan...fan

Where to train watch in Bay City

Unread post by Alan »

I was going to go to Bay City this weekend and was wondering where a good place to train watch was. I looked on google maps and there appears to be three different set of tracks that run through town. I've never been there so any restaurant suggestions would be appreciated too.

Alan

GTW6401
how bout no

Re: Where to train watch in Bay City

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Well there likely wont be much running around Bay City but the Huron and Eastern train to Durand. They usually leave before 9am on the weekend. Most of the other HESR and LSRC jobs really aren't running on weekends.

With restaurant suggestions youre best bet would be roam down Wilder Road near the mall, which is where most of the chain places are like Applebees, Buffalo Wild Wings, Red Lobster, etc.......

Alan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Alan »

When is the best time to catch trains in Bay City?

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Monday thru Friday or Weekends? The weekends are basically dead around Bay City.

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

About the only thing you will be able to see moving is HSER. As stated already. Defoe park is a good spot, or down around midland street is a good option to, close quarters, and a few nice curves to the north of Midland street. Other than that, about the only other weekend action may be a late evening coal move by HSER or LSRC. LSRC usually moves late sunday night with coal. Most of that is through the swamp land from Saginaw to Bay City, so its hard to really watch. There is a bridge crossing they make that is right next to M13, But until they are in Bay City there are not many good views of that run.

Alan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Alan »

Thanks for info you guys. Think I'll go to Durand this weekend and save Bay City for another time. :)

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

Bay City has a lot of good places, however like mentioned above pretty dead on weekends, Durand is better for a weekend watch, however some places to note during the week when activity is running, first note is that almost all the trains come alive in the morning, you can catch both HESR trains (740-702) departing Wenona Yard between 8 AM and 10AM, however this can fluctuate. Wenona Yard is located just off of M-13 about half mile north of Wilder Rd. Also at Wenona Yard you can catch both the LSRC runs as well, this would be train 301. SBS Z126 comes into town about the same time but on the other side of the river. Some spots to catch the HESR trains are pretty much all along the mainline through town, Vets Park offers two pedestrian crossings and at the southend of the Park is JFK Drive where you can catch them coming up a small grade. Further south is Salzburg and if you like hornage I would seggest parking right by S. Chilson St. and Salzburg, there is a small parking lot to the right, here you can catch lots of hornage from the numerous grade crossings. Further south about 1 mile or so is Stone Island Rd. this location is nice too because this is where they begin to speed up out of town, makes for nice videos if you like video. Simply take Salzburge to Euclid (M-13) take Euclid all the way south you will cross the tracks and then cross Hotchkiss Rd. about 3/4 mile south is Stone Island Rd.

SBS Line offers some good hornage too as well as some watching spots in the south end of town, the line runs just east of M-13 Broadway Ave. then turns east. To follow the line take Lafeyette St. whice comes across the river from Salzburg east into 22nd st. this follows the line further east. Good for those morning views.

LSRC 301 comes from North Yard accessble off of Wilder Rd. To get there follow Wilder Rd east until you start turning southward, just after the road starts its turn there will be a light, turn left there and follow the road all the way down to the set of tracks, LSRCs yard will be on your left. You can usually catch some activity over here around noon or so but that fluctuates as well.

And if you find yourself here during the week at night you can catch HESRs Death Train to and from Midland, they depart Bay City usually around 10PM and return into town around 2 or 3AM, plus SBS might have coal trains running to essexville about that time as well.

Dead on weekends but during the week it is almost like the trains never stop, hope this helps for when you decide to come to Bay City, have any questions about anything PM me as I am pretty good at navigating the town.
My train pictures can now be found at:
http://trainman86.rrpicturearchives.net

And my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/trainman1986

My website, dedicated to my layout, "The Fast Lane" (still under construction)
www.trainman86.webs.com

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

Harvey's out on Wilder is a good place to eat. It is on the south side of the road across from Bay City Mall. Good food and usually served quickly. I had a really good Philly steak and also like the mac and cheese.