CSX Locomotive Retirements

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Re: CSX Locomotive Retirements

Unread post by Racer »

Aside from CSX, Norfolk Southern has to have the most variety in power, too. I mean with NS you have SD70's, SD60s, GEVOs, SD60Is, C40-8s, C40-8Ws, C40-9Ws, SD70M-2s, GP38-2s, GP60s, GP40-2s, GP50s, SD40-2s, MP15ACs, SD40Es, Gensets, and other neat one-of-a-kind rebuilds.

When with CSX you have SD40-2s, ES44DC, ES44AC, ES40DC (If you want to count that), C40-8s, C40-8Ws, SD50s, SD50-2s, SD50-3s, GP38-2s, GP39-2s, GP40-2s, Mother + Slug sets, SD60s, SD70macs, SD70ACes, SD60Ms, SD60Is, AC4400CWs, AC6000CWs, SD45-2s (Either the last 2 or the last one maybe in storage), GP15-1s, Gensets, MP15DCs, and even an SD40. *These are just off the top of my head, not accurate or fully studied*.

The point I am trying to get across: the eastern Class 1 railroads have alot more variety in power than the western railroads do. With CSX, you can have all these weird last-ups on road trains (Especially on inter-divisional road trains) and NS aswell (Depending where you are), but with BNSF and UP, it's either SD70Ms, GEVOs, Dash 9s, or SD70ACes, with the exception for yard and industrial switch jobs . I was out west this past summer and even the locals were using GEVOs and Dash 9s. Meh!

Unfortunatly, CP Rail is heading towards the same fate as BNSF and UP has. I mean look at all the SD40-2s that are dropping like flies on their system. I'm suprised that the Cowl units are still around (As far as I know of) and all the other SD40-2s have been sidelined from road trains for AC4400CWs, GEVOs, and the occasional SOO SD60 that can be seen.

Also, CN is a good railroad for variety of power (For now atleast), but that's mostly from the stuff they have acquired from god knows how many railroads they bought. :lol: But it is all shrinking as far as the "good" power and includes the variety of paint schemes from railroads CN bought. Look at the EJE, as soon as CN took over, all of their SWs and SD-Ms were all gone and it's only a matter of time for the EJE SD38s and most of the IC SD40-2s for that matter.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Well, since it was my comment, here it goes - The "novelty" (as it was) of the SD40-2's and SD50's wore off for me about the the time they traded in their Chessie, SBD, Family Lines etc. paint schemes for CSX. After crossing my viewfinder for the last 25 years or so, they're my railfanning equivalent to a McDonalds lunch - they'll do, but they're nothing special. (Although I have seen a couple of the SD50 rebuilds that CSX is turning out - and If I can get some of those while they're still clean I'd make an effort for that) Keep in mind if, I want to see SD40-2's and SD50's all I have to do do is go over to Stanley yard and watch em' drill cars with the 2400 series units.
As for what I get to see every day, I'm fortunate in that CSX's Toledo sub borders my back yard. I get a good variety, the manifests could have anything from a single GEVO to a lashup of GP38-2's or spartan cab EMD six motors, The Ore Trains usually get AC44's or SD70MAC's, and the local/yard job usually has GP38-2's but I have seen a MP15T and GP15T's on it.
CSXTSD40-2 wrote:And I will stir the pot further.

I agree, the B's were ugly things, but I am a bit bummed to see them go because they were so unique.

I dont agree with the "SD40/SD50's being boring as a fencepost" though. Dude, its not 1998 anymore! Granted I dont live on the CSX, and its my favorite Class 1, but I drive all over the place for those things around here. You just dont get SD40-2's or SD50's on the point like you used to, and CSX is a pretty sweet railroad in that department because they still can put together wacky consists. The BNSF is as boring as....well, to take a page from you, a fencepost. CSX definately has the most variety bar none as of now! But if your "wasting frames" on SD40-2's and SD50's, please tell me what more interesting engines your seeing on a daily basis, because it has to be good!

Alec

CSXTSD40-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXTSD40-2 »

I can also understand if you've been around them for the last few decades, and like I said I dont live on the CSX either. Im just a 17 year old kid who bores of new power or really just about any widecab GE. So, since I wasn't taking alot of shots until about 2005, I haven't ever gone through that phase. When I started shooting they were already considered old.

Speaking of SD50's, heres a shot I took about 10 and a half hours ago.
http://wctransfer.rrpicturearchives.net ... id=1895452
http://wctransfer.rrpicturearchives.net ... id=1895454

Alec (Content for a few days :) )

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Nice catch Alec. That second unit is a former CR SD60, indicated by the marker lights.
Bottom text.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

SD40-2 & SD50's are still junk. Just ride one. I was really excited to have ones that had the horn relocated, but after the first 5 miles I rember why I hate them. Ride just like the B's, beating the crap out of you back, head, everything else.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!