Flat Cars in Muskegon

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
A No.1
To Portland

Re: Flat Cars in Muskegon

Unread post by A No.1 »

Nice photo's Tops, Your the Man.
Mark it Zero.

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

Raildudes dad wrote:Don't think your going to see them moving soon. Weight restriction just went on in Muskegon, Kent & Montcalm Counties. The rest should follow soon :wink:
You mean if they were to be moved on the up and up. Frost laws kicked in over in Saginaw county on Thursday. Saw all sorts of iron on the road yesterday. Its the bootleggin time of year. I think our 30 ton Komatsu is going to be sitting in Ludington for a while.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

JDavis21835 wrote:You mean if they were to be moved on the up and up. Frost laws kicked in over in Saginaw county on Thursday. Saw all sorts of iron on the road yesterday. Its the bootleggin time of year. I think our 30 ton Komatsu is going to be sitting in Ludington for a while.
No weight restrictions on the state highways yet. That's why you saw lots moving on Friday. Move before the rest of the southern counties go on this week.I saw lots of big loads on 131 outside my office window also. Erickson's can put dollies on their smaller machines to get them legal and more axles under the trailer hauling the car. Worked with a comapny on Friday to get the pieces to a new asphalt plant legal so they can be delivered during restrictions.

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

Yea, the funny part is all the trucks I saw running heavy were on county roads. As for more axles, the more the better in this state. Gets to a point where it gets too difficult to try, just sit back and wait. Luckily most of our work is skid steers and mini excavators for the next month.

crohakon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by crohakon »

Noticed the other day that two or three of these flats have disappeared. I can only assume they have been moved to their new location as access bridges in the swamps. Anyone know for sure?

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big Frank »

so I was in lovely Muskegon today and saw the flats and not sure if it had been reported or not but there are only 2 left and they have Highway Guard rails welded to them on one side very strange not sure what there going to be used for.
Beating Up Foamer's and Rail Nerds Since 1981... I h8 u all!!!!

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Big Frank wrote:so I was in lovely Muskegon today and saw the flats and not sure if it had been reported or not but there are only 2 left and they have Highway Guard rails welded to them on one side very strange not sure what there going to be used for.
crohakon wrote: You guys are correct. I talked to the security guard at Mart Dock about 3 weeks ago when I went to take pictures of the flats. He told me that Consumers Power bought them and was having them modified to be used as bridges out in the swamps so they could get their trucks out to work on lines. Sometime in the near future we will see Ericson's out their with the big cranes putting them into place.
It's already been discussed :D :D
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1