Jackson-Lansing Railroad

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Jackson-Lansing Railroad

Unread post by chapmaja »

Clay320 wrote:
AARR wrote:I believe ADBF has a few spare GP9's somewhere on its ADBF line. Came from east coast IIRC.
There are 5 GP9s on the A&B line, although they probably can't do with less than 3 there. And 2 isnt going to be enough for the J&L line. I might be wrong but I don't think there are any other ADBF locos anywhere else that aren't being used.

I thought they had more than that on the line. I thought they had gotten 5 or 6 of the New Hampshire Northern units when they came in, plus they had two units on their own.

The roster I see shows 6 GP9's on the roster, 4 from the NHN and two that were the original ADBF units, plus the 44 tonner assigned to the Charlotte Southern.

The question is how many NHN units were there and did they sell any off or use some for scrap. I can't find the pictures I had from when they were all in Blissfield, but I thought there was more than 4.

Either way I expect some bigger power to be leased/purchased for this line because if the steel to Holt picks up again that will be a lot of tonnage for a few GP9's.

RRTTF
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RRTTF »

I have it from a reliable confidential well placed source that they are buying a couple of Berkshires to handle the heavy freight.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

RRTTF wrote:I have it from a reliable confidential well placed source that they are buying a couple of Berkshires to handle the heavy freight.

The steam engines?????

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

The pics I have show 4 NHN units 1755,1758,1759,1760, plus the ADBF 1751,1752.
My question on this is why hasnt anything been posted on the STB for a filing?

RRTTF
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RRTTF »

ScooterB is the smartest one here, as I share his observation. Lots or rumors. Lots of speculation. Its been reported here that Watco was going to do this. Then it was reported that RailAmerica was. Then it was reported that Pioneer Rail was. Then somewhere I think I also read that Marquette Rail was. I forget whom I read was taking this over on April 1 (April Fools Day). So many rumors, innuendos and speculation, but zero fact. Just like the newspapers. Always in a rush to have a "scoop," they just make it up and put it in print! If it was really happening, we would be reading about it first on the STB web site. And, since I have not read about it on the STB web site, I know one fact for certain!

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

That is also what you guys said about the GDLK deal too. But IIRC it flew under the radar, until the deal had already happened, and was not found on the STB site until after the actual start date. Just because you cant find it yet dont mean it is not going to happen.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman45 »

Clay320 wrote:Anyone know what power they are going to use on the line?
9's from Blissfield

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman45 »

RRTTF wrote:ScooterB is the smartest one here, as I share his observation. Lots or rumors. Lots of speculation. Its been reported here that Watco was going to do this. Then it was reported that RailAmerica was. Then it was reported that Pioneer Rail was. Then somewhere I think I also read that Marquette Rail was. I forget whom I read was taking this over on April 1 (April Fools Day). So many rumors, innuendos and speculation, but zero fact. Just like the newspapers. Always in a rush to have a "scoop," they just make it up and put it in print! If it was really happening, we would be reading about it first on the STB web site. And, since I have not read about it on the STB web site, I know one fact for certain!
IT WILL HAPPEN!!

tyler_phillips
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tyler_phillips »

jukeman45 wrote:
Clay320 wrote:Anyone know what power they are going to use on the line?
9's from Blissfield
Well, seeing that they use 4 of the 6 GP-9's in Blissfield, also in ADBF paint, I seriously doubt they are going to jut shut down the ADBF line and move all of it's power up to Jackson & Lansing. Especially with ADBF having the MAC Elevator and Ethanol Plant in Blissfield. Just an educated guess...

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

I would send two to the Jackson-Lansing line. Then when you get some revenue coming in. Invest in some more power. If it does go through. It will still a risk that service will take off. A smart busniess person wouldn't invest more capital that is need to get by in this situation.

Just looking at this from a business point of view.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

IIRC the 2 "original" ADBF GP9's are ex-GTW. Don't recall the #'s off the top of my head. One was painted in a Lionel scheme for a while but I don't think it is anymore. They may have had a 3rd ex-GTW unit at one time too.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

AARR wrote:One was painted in a Lionel scheme for a while but I don't think it is anymore.
Correct. The Lionel Lines has been painted over, unfortunately.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

CamasChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CamasChris »

IIRC the 2 "original" ADBF GP9's are ex-GTW. Don't recall the #'s off the top of my head. One was painted in a Lionel scheme for a while but I don't think it is anymore. They may have had a 3rd ex-GTW unit at one time too.
The "original" Geeps were GTW 1751 (4545) and 1752 (4554). The 4 NHN locos 1755, 1758, 1759, 1760 were all ex PRR but Im not sure what the original numbers are. When I worked there we used 51, 52, and 60 plus the SW that DCON has now. We seemed to do just fine with three running geeps. I think either 55 or 59 was not in the best of running order, not junk just not running that good. If they could get 3 in Adrian and 3 in Lansing they could get by just fine.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CamasChris wrote:
The "original" Geeps were GTW 1751 (4545) and 1752 (4554). The 4 NHN locos 1755, 1758, 1759, 1760 were all ex PRR but Im not sure what the original numbers are. When I worked there we used 51, 52, and 60 plus the SW that DCON has now. We seemed to do just fine with three running geeps. I think either 55 or 59 was not in the best of running order, not junk just not running that good. If they could get 3 in Adrian and 3 in Lansing they could get by just fine.
Now I may be wrong cause I'm going by memory but I seem to recall that ADBF had ex-GTW 413? for a short period of time. I'd even bet someone a beer that I'm right :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

RRTTF wrote:ScooterB is the smartest one here, as I share his observation. Lots or rumors. Lots of speculation. Its been reported here that Watco was going to do this. Then it was reported that RailAmerica was. Then it was reported that Pioneer Rail was. Then somewhere I think I also read that Marquette Rail was. I forget whom I read was taking this over on April 1 (April Fools Day). So many rumors, innuendos and speculation, but zero fact. Just like the newspapers. Always in a rush to have a "scoop," they just make it up and put it in print! If it was really happening, we would be reading about it first on the STB web site. And, since I have not read about it on the STB web site, I know one fact for certain!
Ken B is in the know and respected and credible and not your average typical railfan rumor monger. He has access to info that the vast majority of us don't. And he does not seem to be the type of person who'd post something just to get his jollies by watching a bunch of foamers go into a frenzy.

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

ScooterB is the smartest one here
I dont think so.
I do respect Ken B's post and obsevations,and suspect something is up with this line as there was a rumor that July 1st there was going to be an announcement also some comments heard on the scanner recently. Also wonder if some of the upgrades on the branches from Jackson has something to do with this. As the great Doc say VEE SHALL SEE.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Scott,

I respect everyone's posts but I'm a bit of a skeptic. Rumor and speculation abound, but I await some concrete information. I guess I will take my usual 'wait and see' perspective.
Norm

CamasChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CamasChris »

Now I may be wrong cause I'm going by memory but I seem to recall that ADBF had ex-GTW 413? for a short period of time. I'd even bet someone a beer that I'm right
No other locos except for a few centercabs, I would love to take you up on the beer but it would be warm by the time you got to Idaho...lol

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CamasChris wrote:I would love to take you up on the beer but it would be warm by the time you got to Idaho...lol
I'd love to railfan your line. I've been following it from afar since the days when BN/UP jointly operated it.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Actually the GLC bought it.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e