GDLK Customers

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GR Ron
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GDLK Customers

Unread post by GR Ron »

Raildudes dad wrote:
GR Ron wrote:
AARR wrote:I went through the old threads and came up with this:

I had it my head they were Americhem but you're correct,they were Chemcentral. It's now owned by Univar. Talked to the facility manager at the last LEPC lunch a year ago (see you this year? ). He said they had the siding fixed up in anticipation of using rail again. (Americhem used to be down behind Woodland International? or was that Chemcentral - I remember the run down building and tanks )
That's why the Chemcentral dude doesn't answer my calls anymore? Hmm. Hard to keep up with all the changing going on - thats one good reason I keep checking in here (at least my excuse :? ) You are right it was Americhem, or whas it Chemcentral :oops: . Anyway - not sure about LEPC so much anymore - my hazmat responsibilities have been reduced significantly, I've been given Safety on a much broader scope. Just getting my feet into it, so we will see how much I can justify some of my "old ways" :wink: . Still respond to hazmats when called, however....... :D
GR Ron

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

The 501 also switches the Farm Bureau Co-op in Schoolcraft with lots of tank cars in season unless it was mentioned and I missed it.

I keep hoping they will bend a siding off in Schoolcraft to connect to the bulk cement place that CN used to serve. I think GDLK would give good service, which CN apparently didn't.

The LC Howard building on East Michigan Avenue in no longer switched by NS. NS has hasn't been to Kalamazoo in a year or more.

canpac08
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by canpac08 »

the farms bureau in Schoolcraft is called Co-Alliance.
He who wanders with purpose, has no purpose to wander

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

GAP wrote: I keep hoping they will bend a siding off in Schoolcraft to connect to the bulk cement place that CN used to serve. I think GDLK would give good service, which CN apparently didn't.
I think it had more to do with transit time from Bowmanville ON, than local service. The GR terminal did not use much rail due to overall transit time. That was according to the manager here before it was closed and the product is now run thru the terminal in Ferrysburg. The cars would get to Green Bay WI quicker than GR :( .

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

Gap...

The cement plant in Schoolcraft is closed and a for sale sign is posted at the drive way and the switch to the plant off the eastbound GTW had been removed.

GTW

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I wasn't aware that CN was no longer serving the cement place nor that they had shut right down and pulled the switch. Huh. I forgot about the Schoolcraft Farm Bureau south of town along 131. Thanks for adding that in GAP!

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

GTW wrote:Gap...

The cement plant in Schoolcraft is closed and a for sale sign is posted at the drive way and the switch to the plant off the eastbound GTW had been removed.

GTW
IIRC they're using a terminal in Grand Haven or Muskegon now. The terminal in Schoolcraft was bought or they bouth or someone bought the other which gave them access to the shoreline terminal.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

AARR wrote:
GTW wrote:Gap...

GTW
IIRC they're using a terminal in Grand Haven or Muskegon now. The terminal in Schoolcraft was bought or they bouth or someone bought the other which gave them access to the shoreline terminal.
Schoolcraft and GR were both St Mary's (terminals are identical), then Blue Circle, then back to St Mary's. The original St Mary's made cement in Detroit along I-75. They closed that kiln but still bagged cement there. St Mary's was bought by Blue Circle. Blue Circle also owned the Ferrysburg terminal (can't remember the orignal name). When Blue Circle was sold to some company the old St Mary's plus Ferrysburg was spun off and sold to comply with anti trust laws. I'm pretty sure there were more companies / names involved but this is the short version :)