CN White Pine Sub

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
blackjack1518
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN White Pine Sub

Unread post by blackjack1518 »

I picked this up on another group.

"Unconfirmed but reliable reports indicate CN has sold the Ashland
Subdivision to Genesee & Wyoming. G&W had made an offer to buy these lines
in the past but CN set the selling price high as they waited on possible
buyers for White Pine and the development of a taconite plant. Included are
the mainline from Tomahawk (Tomahawk Railroad is a G&W property) to
Rhinelander over to Prentice then north to Ashland plus the White Pine line.
It can be assumed CN has some clause in the agreement that allows them to
reclaim the line or at the very least operate over it should major traffic
materialize (i.e. Gogebic Taconite). These lines being captive to CN also
likely helped G&W's case for a spin-off. Makes one wonder with the Empire
Mine closing how much longer the secondary lines in the UP will last under
CN ownership.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

At the very least I thought CN would sell the branch lines in the UP (except the line from Escanaba to the iron mills) with 3-5 years of acquisition. Now, I'm surprised they are selling them at all. CN's philosphy is the can operate any line more effeciently than anyone else. That's why they gobbled up so many regionals in the last 10 years. While their ability to run the lines profitabley was good some would question their quality of service.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

blackjack1518
Railroadfan...fan

blackjack1518 wrote:I picked this up on another group.

"Unconfirmed but reliable reports indicate CN has sold the Ashland
Subdivision to Genesee & Wyoming. G&W had made an offer to buy these lines
in the past but CN set the selling price high as they waited on possible
buyers for White Pine and the development of a taconite plant. Included are
the mainline from Tomahawk (Tomahawk Railroad is a G&W property) to
Rhinelander over to Prentice then north to Ashland plus the White Pine line.
It can be assumed CN has some clause in the agreement that allows them to
reclaim the line or at the very least operate over it should major traffic
materialize (i.e. Gogebic Taconite). These lines being captive to CN also
likely helped G&W's case for a spin-off. Makes one wonder with the Empire
Mine closing how much longer the secondary lines in the UP will last under
CN ownership.

This also came out today. This is the Copperwood mine which would use the White Pine Sub.

IRONWOOD (AP) -- The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality says it has approved the last major permit needed for constructing a copper and silver mine in the western Upper Peninsula.

The agency said Tuesday the permit dealing with protection of wetlands, inland lakes and streams was issued after many months of state and federal review. Officials say the permit allows Orvana Materials Corp. "to extract useful elements" and protect natural resources to the extent possible in the mine near Ironwood.

The DEQ says that Orvana made numerous changes in its original proposal to limit environmental damage in response to government and public comments. Among them are replacing culverts with bridges, adding wetland preservation tracts, and using natural design instead of ditches for channels that will divert streams around a waste rock basin.
(Copyright ©2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

AARR wrote:At the very least I thought CN would sell the branch lines in the UP (except the line from Escanaba to the iron mills) with 3-5 years of acquisition. Now, I'm surprised they are selling them at all. CN's philosphy is the can operate any line more effeciently than anyone else. That's why they gobbled up so many regionals in the last 10 years. While their ability to run the lines profitabley was good some would question their quality of service.
With G&W taking over the Ashland Sub, what other lines could possibly be "shortlined"? I scratch my head thinking with all these mines being constructed, why would CN want to sell now? I assume CN's route across the U.P. to Sault Ste. Marie would not be in "danger" due to overhead traffic, unless G&W wants a "link" to their operation on the former CP into "The Soo"?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

How much traffic crosses the border on CN at the Soo?

blackjack1518
Railroadfan...fan

CN has informed Copperwood mine that line requires a lot of upgrade work, especially in Wisconsin. As far as they know, no upgrades planned. So to me this looks like they may sell off Ashland & WP sub. CN Doesn't appear they are willing to make any upgrades to bring the line back into service. Time will tell, just have to wait see what really happens, I would imagine the mine would want to have rail access due to it's 15 year life.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

bctrainfan wrote:How much traffic crosses the border on CN at the Soo?
From what I read trains around 100 cars + are common. Usually a block of 30+ ore cars, other traffic from Algoma Steel, and the typical paper/lumber related traffic.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

AARR wrote:
From what I read trains around 100 cars + are common. Usually a block of 30+ ore cars, other traffic from Algoma Steel, and the typical paper/lumber related traffic.
The 100 car trains are not unusual on the Soo sub from my experience. A fair amount of steel products come out of Algoma Steel headed to Chicago and points beyond. The pulpwood and paper traffic used to be fairly good until the paper industry entered the long slow slide to oblivion.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Standard Railfan wrote:
AARR wrote:
The 100 car trains are not unusual on the Soo sub from my experience. A fair amount of steel products come out of Algoma Steel headed to Chicago and points beyond. The pulpwood and paper traffic used to be fairly good until the paper industry entered the long slow slide to oblivion.
I heard Algoma Steel ships 40-70 cars per day, seven days per week.

DonHarding
Manager of High Hood Locomotives

Unread post by DonHarding »

Are there any updates concerning the mines being constructed or G&W acquiring the line? I think that line is so beautiful. It parallels that lake by Bergland, Michigan for the entire North Shore of the lake. Imagine the possible photos that could be taken of these copper trains there! I tell you...there are some railroads in the UP, even near Ishpeming, that would make a hell of a place to put a dinner train; there's just no general populous near by that would drive out to ride it!