GTW Santa Train

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GTW Santa Train

Unread post by GP9R »

You should be thankful that I even gave as much info as I did. I guess next time I'll just keep the info to myself and watch everyone speculate as to whats going on

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

GTW4633 wrote:You should be thankful that I even gave as much info as I did. I guess next time I'll just keep the info to myself and watch everyone speculate as to whats going on
I am thankful you did. If not I had no clue it was running this early unlike years before it ran the weekend before christmas.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

TSB

We had snacks, pop and/or cider and it really was a party.
The last couple years that i have went, which this year due to it being early i am not going, but they usually have pop, Pizza and other snacks. They always give out OLS and CN kids coloring books and stuff like that but last year they started giving out item's again like the GTW used to, last year was CN soccer balls curious what they will give out this year. And as you said it is a good time and a good party.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Conrail Jon wrote:
Steve B wrote:I think what gtw5812 meant was: what's the point of telling people you know the times, but then saying that you can't divulge them? It's a useless addition to the discussion, and especially when that's the only content of the post, it comes across as smug.
Well, at least he replied stating why he couldn't. If the guy had asked for the times, and no one responded at all, that'd come off as smug too, I'd think.
I agree. He was asked if he knew the times, to which he replied "yes." It's not like he just made a random post stating that he knew the times and wasn't going to tell anyone. Then I can see how people would be turned off by that type of post.

At least he answered a question honestly instead of lying and saying, "no, I don't know the times."

That being said, I wish they weren't running it so early this year. Bummer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Same here JT wish it was the weekend before Christmas like usual.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Times posted on another site:
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

I dont think they wait around much after the ending times.

GreatLakesTrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesTrains »

Does anyone know the exact location in Port Huron the Santa train will be?

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

GreatLakesTrains wrote:Does anyone know the exact location in Port Huron the Santa train will be?
More than likely a yard.

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

So, if the first stop is Flint at 6PM Friday, any guesses as the the schedule between Chicago and there. Would they leave early and get to Flint with lots of sitting time before opening, or are they planning to roll in at 5?
If the weather is decent, I'd like to chase maybe Kalamazoo to Lansing.
Maybe an obscure clue GTW4633 since you can't post specifics?
RR Pass Collector

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MP73point4 wrote: If the weather is decent, I'd like to chase maybe Kalamazoo to Lansing.
K-zoo to Lansing? Does the train go in both directions? I always thought it went through Lansing heading west only.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

J T wrote:
MP73point4 wrote: If the weather is decent, I'd like to chase maybe Kalamazoo to Lansing.
K-zoo to Lansing? Does the train go in both directions? I always thought it went through Lansing heading west only.
It was posted on the NCIR Yahoo group yesterday that both IC E units and the private cars were trailing on 116 into Michigan yesterday. Sounds as though they were set out at Battle Creek.

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

I was assuming it would originate in Chicago (Hazel Crest) where the E's are typically kept, travel east to Flint to start it's tour, then return to Chicago either late Sunday or Monday after the Battle Creek stop. I assumed it would go back through Lansing WB on Sunday on its way from Pontiac to Battle Creek.
Also, maybe I should have said I might chase Schoolcraft area to Lansing rather than Kzoo. I know GTW main doesn't go through Kzoo.
RR Pass Collector

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

It was tied down in Battle Creek last night headed east today, IC 101? leading. Back to BC Sunday afternoon.....and BTW no bickering on the Santa train thread, should be keeping the Xmas spirit :mrgreen:

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

GreatLakesTrains wrote:Does anyone know the exact location in Port Huron the Santa train will be?
Last year it was up by the yard office, was kind of hard to see from Griswold, IIRC.

This year it'll probably be even harder to see much in PH, considering the intersection at Michigan and Griswold is closed, it will be less easy than in the past if you want to watch them wye the train.
~ Charles W.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

If they dead headed the train from Markham to Battle Creek, I'm willing to bet they're going to dead head it back to Chicago on another train

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

bctrainfan wrote:It was tied down in Battle Creek last night headed east today, IC 101? leading. Back to BC Sunday afternoon.....and BTW no bickering on the Santa train thread, should be keeping the Xmas spirit :mrgreen:
Ahh, ok, so it DOES head east solo (both IC engines and passenger cars). It seems that movement just doesn't seem to garner as much fanfair as the wb movement.

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

Merry Christmas Guys.

Bless you and yours.
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Any updates ? Symbol, location ? Thanks.

crnodak1sd70m-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by crnodak1sd70m-2 »

M.D.Bentley wrote:Any updates ? Symbol, location ? Thanks.
IC 101 Santa Train passed my house on the Mt Clemens Sub, 01:06pm. Will be going thru Milwaukee Jct soon.
Chuck in Detroit / NODAK1
7 Mile & Van Dyke area, just
west of Mt, Clemens Sub.