John Engler Locomotive

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Re: John Engler Locomotive

Unread post by EWRice »

It will come to die in Coopersville. The journal bearings are shot, the boiler is shot, almost every accessory, valve or piping is gone. Missing couplers? And it MUST have the canopy put back over it or it will look like a sunken ship within 3 years. I can't find it right now, but there is a good history of this unit online with the story of how they moved it, and almost didn't make it, from it's original home. :(

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

EWRice wrote:It will come to die in Coopersville. The journal bearings are shot, the boiler is shot, almost every accessory, valve or piping is gone. Missing couplers? And it MUST have the canopy put back over it or it will look like a sunken ship within 3 years. I can't find it right now, but there is a good history of this unit online with the story of how they moved it, and almost didn't make it, from it's original home. :(
So basically the tower track will soon be a casket? Where will the PawPaw car go?
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

They have slid it from under the canopy, and have a crane out.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

lightning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lightning »

j32885 wrote:Questions...

- Since when did the previous Michigan Gov. get a locomotive named after him?
- Where is located?
- What does it look like?

:?: :?: :?:
If ya type in John Engler Locomotive inyo Google images you'll see pictures of it.... :mrgreen:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

MQT3001 wrote:They have slid it from under the canopy, and have a crane out.
Engine is on a flatbed? looks like, tender is out from the canopy, crew with crane beginning to dismantle the canopy.

rsinoms
Human Moose Elephant

Unread post by rsinoms »

MQT3001 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:They have slid it from under the canopy, and have a crane out.
Engine is on a flatbed? looks like, tender is out from the canopy, crew with crane beginning to dismantle the canopy.
They were dismantling the whole thing today when I saw it... The boiler was separated from the drivers and what not. (not a steam person sorry if I named things wrong)
You say trestle... I say Trussell!!!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

The train engine and tender car, the John Engler, have a new home Wednesday morning.
Geez, that sounds so amateurish. How about, "The classic steam locomotive and tender car..."
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

I love 13's video. There's the tender, must have forgot to tie down the loco and it blew away on the way to C'ville.

I went and saw her tonight, wish I had my camera with me. Without the boiler on, you can see all the spring rigging and equalizer beams perfectly. I need that for my locos pilot truck! Maybe this Saturday I will remember my camera.

PM1946
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PM1946 »

Our Saturday meanderings took us through Coopersville where we spotted parts of the John Engler. The tender and the drivers and frame appeared from the car to be sitting on the engine house track West of the engine house itself. Where the boiler and cab were, who knows. I have several questions that may have been answered earlier (I've been known to nod off occasionally and miss things). Why did the management at the Grand Central Station warehouse want to get rid of the Engler? Why did the Coopersville & Marne acquire it? Do they have any plans for it other than a static display? I'd be surprised if they did as it appeared in pics posted earlier to be in rough shape. By the way, as of last night, the caboose was still in place at the GCS warehouse with an"available" real estate sign posted near it.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The Union Station property did not want it any longer and donated the engine, canopy, and caboose to the C&M free of charge. It will be displayed in Coopersville next to the old Greenville GTW/C&O interlocking tower. Engine is in rough shape so it'll be nothing more than a static display.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

PM1946
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PM1946 »

Thanks SD80MAC for filling in the blanks for me.

BRgroat
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BRgroat »

I had noticed its absence on Saturday. I had been very muddled about its wherabouts. It's nice to know what became of it.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

Looking to be installed next season.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

Firemedic Mike
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Firemedic Mike »

Well, the thing is almost completely re-assembled in Coppersville. Time will tell what happens to it now.
I save lives. What do you do?