GLC 385

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GLC 385

Unread post by GP9R »

Loco headlights, at least the ones I'm familar with are 350W each. I also prefer them in the nose. As long as you are paying attention its not a big deal

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I had read that when the Santa Fe started moving headlights down to the nose position, there was an issue with burns - as a result they went from just placing the light assemblies "on" the nose to an inset mounting like this. http://www.panoramio.com/photo/58549672 Also of interest is that GE nose mount headlights on new units continue to be inset to this day.
YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:
JStryker722 wrote: Aren't the new Amtrak electrics getting LED lights?
The one's that have been delivered/ compleated do have LEDs. In the photo below you can see how it's got a blue hue to the light, and in the ditch lights you can see the bulbs.

http://ppcdn.500px.org/45550302/0bc363b ... 982e/4.jpg
glc395 wrote: Anybody that gets burned from standing in front of a headlight an idiot and deserves it
I would think that it would be pretty easy to brush up against a headlight when just walking across the porch for some reason, especially if you have a grip in one hand, maybe something else bulky in the other, and if there's snow making the walk slippery.. so many things could happen where one would bump into/ rub against the nose and get burned by a headlight by mistake while they are caring out operations safely. Not a [img]whole[/img] lot of room on a walk between the nose and handrails.. calling them an idiot is a little harsh, but that's just my opinion on the matter.

And yes thanks Dane for the photo. Looks good freshly painted too, at least on the nose 8)

kckorienek
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kckorienek »

This morning, 385 was the middle unit on a CSX grain train, thought I would share a little better photo of it:

Looks really good, and even better in person, props to the GLC shop forces, it looks great!
Kyle Korienek
Owosso, MI

My RP Photos - I'm Kind Of Over This Site
Flickr - I Post Here A Lot More

"I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting."

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

I prefer high headlights. As far as visibility goes, ditch lights are winner winner chicken dinner. Headlights alone, whether low or high mounted don't offer the greatest visibility. What I dislike about nose mounted headlights is not the possibility of getting burned (I've never had this problem -- you'd have to be pretty careless to get burned), but getting blinded. This would predominantly be a comfort cab issue...when you come out the front door and then turn around to close it, the headlight is right in your face. And unless you want to get your hand crushed by a 500 lb door, you better not do it with your eyes closed...

Just my personal opinion.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

Mr. Tops wrote:I prefer high headlights. As far as visibility goes, ditch lights are winner winner chicken dinner. Headlights alone, whether low or high mounted don't offer the greatest visibility. What I dislike about nose mounted headlights is not the possibility of getting burned (I've never had this problem -- you'd have to be pretty careless to get burned), but getting blinded. This would predominantly be a comfort cab issue...when you come out the front door and then turn around to close it, the headlight is right in your face. And unless you want to get your hand crushed by a 500 lb door, you better not do it with your eyes closed...

Just my personal opinion.
If those darn UP guys would turn off the headlight when they are stopped they wouldn't have that problem

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

GP9R wrote: If those darn UP guys would turn off the headlight when they are stopped they wouldn't have that problem
I was thinking the same thing. Those guys out west must be scared of the dark or something.

Practice Safe CSX

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

CSX_CO wrote:
GP9R wrote: If those darn UP guys would turn off the headlight when they are stopped they wouldn't have that problem
I was thinking the same thing. Those guys out west must be scared of the dark or something.

Practice Safe CSX
You're right. I shouldn't get out of the cab unless the headlight is extinguished. GCOR Rule 5.9.1.2, per myself.

The above comment was just my opinion. If you want to debate it, or the associated rules, here is my rebuttal...

We have rules to follow. They may be different than yours. UP doesn't dim headlights during the time between dawn and dusk, known as "day". Rule was changed long ago from "dim headlight when approaching/passing head end of train" to "dim headlight when approaching/passing head end of train at night". Turns out, some guys were forgetting to turn the headlight back on. I know it has happened on UP, but I've seen far more times CSX, BNSF and other carriers running in daylight for miles with no headlight, through grade crossings.

Every time we pass a CSX train between Chicago and Woodland during daylight, they dim their headlight, and we don't. They think we are a$$holes, but we are just complying with OUR rules. We have some managers that try and come up with their own interpretation of GCOR 5.9.1 and have disciplined engineers for dimming their headlight when stopped on the main track in daylight. I don't agree with that but they have successfully 'scared' guys into just keeping their headlight on.

I can't account for what they do elsewhere on UP. Not worried about them...

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

I'm just laughing because my N scale AA 385 doesn't have a nose light to begin with! Now it's prototypical! (sort of...) :lol:
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

Mr. Tops wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:

Practice Safe CSX
You're right. I shouldn't get out of the cab unless the headlight is extinguished. GCOR Rule 5.9.1.2, per myself.

The above comment was just my opinion. If you want to debate it, or the associated rules, here is my rebuttal...

We have rules to follow. They may be different than yours. UP doesn't dim headlights during the time between dawn and dusk, known as "day". Rule was changed long ago from "dim headlight when approaching/passing head end of train" to "dim headlight when approaching/passing head end of train at night". Turns out, some guys were forgetting to turn the headlight back on. I know it has happened on UP, but I've seen far more times CSX, BNSF and other carriers running in daylight for miles with no headlight, through grade crossings.

Every time we pass a CSX train between Chicago and Woodland during daylight, they dim their headlight, and we don't. They think we are a$$holes, but we are just complying with OUR rules. We have some managers that try and come up with their own interpretation of GCOR 5.9.1 and have disciplined engineers for dimming their headlight when stopped on the main track in daylight. I don't agree with that but they have successfully 'scared' guys into just keeping their headlight on.

I can't account for what they do elsewhere on UP. Not worried about them...
Bob, I knew the rule on UP was dim dusk to dawn only. Thats fine. I was mostly talking about when they're stopped. The NS Guys seem to be worse. They leave the headlight on dim, when stopped with no one on the train...