Michigan State University Coal Power Plant

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Michigan State University Coal Power Plant

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

A little more on the 1225 and the old power plant spur.

Before they extended Trowbridge Rd East of Harrison in the early 2000's there was another street slightly to the North. (the red line on the map) & Red Cedar Rd was a dead end South of Wilson. The C&O spur (the yellow line) paralleled the GTW until it curved North across campus.

I don't know if it is still visible but in the '90s you could still see the ROW behind the Landscape Architecture building N of Wilson Rd.

My understanding is that if you go back farther, this spur continued N of the power plant and crossed the river near where the current Administration building is.

In the early '80s C&O planned to remove the spur, and the 1225 group moved the engine for a short time off campus to a spot across the GTW from the Amtrak depot http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2858037 and then up to Owosso.

A couple more shots of 1225 on Campus

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

MQT1223 wrote:I love the comment on the pic and those clean CSX hoppers behind it. Looks ugly but it's better then Notre Dame's switcher. It is common anymore to have universities or colleges that have rail access to their own power plants?
The little switcher Notre Dame had was far from the ugliest thing on that wretched campus...but you're aware that they truck their coal in and have done so for years, right? The removal of the line to the power plant followed many years of the equipment sitting unused, or slightly used at best. Years ago I heard a rumor that the railroad was similar to the fire department in that it was a pet project of one of the people who ran the place. When they guy died, so did the railroad, for the most part.
~ Charles W.

adams_aj
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by adams_aj »

Awesome thread! Loved the archived story about the 1225 on the MSU campus!

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Dan Cluley wrote:A little more on the 1225 and the old power plant spur.

Before they extended Trowbridge Rd East of Harrison in the early 2000's there was another street slightly to the North. (the red line on the map) & Red Cedar Rd was a dead end South of Wilson. The C&O spur (the yellow line) paralleled the GTW until it curved North across campus.

I don't know if it is still visible but in the '90s you could still see the ROW behind the Landscape Architecture building N of Wilson Rd.

My understanding is that if you go back farther, this spur continued N of the power plant and crossed the river near where the current Administration building is.

In the early '80s C&O planned to remove the spur, and the 1225 group moved the engine for a short time off campus to a spot across the GTW from the Amtrak depot http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2858037 and then up to Owosso.

A couple more shots of 1225 on Campus

Fantastic pictures of 1225! Those have to be some rare gems if its before the work had started to bring her back.
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:I love the comment on the pic and those clean CSX hoppers behind it. Looks ugly but it's better then Notre Dame's switcher. It is common anymore to have universities or colleges that have rail access to their own power plants?
The little switcher Notre Dame had was far from the ugliest thing on that wretched campus...but you're aware that they truck their coal in and have done so for years, right? The removal of the line to the power plant followed many years of the equipment sitting unused, or slightly used at best. Years ago I heard a rumor that the railroad was similar to the fire department in that it was a pet project of one of the people who ran the place. When they guy died, so did the railroad, for the most part.
Didn't the Notre Dame switcher get donated recently? I thought I saw something about some switcher being donated from a college campus but it had to be trucked out.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Yeah, the ND unit went to Hoosier Valley Railway Museum down in North Judson, Indiana.
~ Charles W.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Max, get the book "Pere Marquette 1225" by TJ Gaffney and Dean Pyers. Half the book is pictures of the restoration on the MSU grounds. It only came out a couple of months ago so it should be easy to find.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SD80MAC wrote:Max, get the book "Pere Marquette 1225" by TJ Gaffney and Dean Pyers. Half the book is pictures of the restoration on the MSU grounds. It only came out a couple of months ago so it should be easy to find.
Yeah I heard. next time i'm at SRI I should get one since I bet they would have it. One think I noticed in the 1225 pics above is how she is displayed. Look at 1223 as well. The rods are displayed in the exact position albeit on the opposite sides.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)