In memorandum RIP MM #24

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Re: In memorandum RIP MM #24

Unread post by DLM »

Paint her with a mop and move her to Muskegon.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

What color? Dark blue? :wink: I don't think it is rusty enough for that.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

EWRice wrote:Next thing you know Ann Street will look like Ferguson, MO and an angry mob of railfans will tip the 24 over and torch it. All in the name of preservation. :shock:

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MrRail
White Creek Flat Car

Unread post by MrRail »

Well I got a good look at 24 today. It looked like it had some components removed from the brake rigging, and it looked like parts were being messed with.
Attachments
20150227_120837.jpg
Anything can be fixed with WD40 and ductape......... Right?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MrRail wrote:Well I got a good look at 24 today. It looked like it had some components removed from the brake rigging, and it looked like parts were being messed with.
Jake be careful from where you take those pictures bud, that's railroad property your on...
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MrRail
White Creek Flat Car

Unread post by MrRail »

Yea, as my understanding goes though they don't own the old factory area. Just the track shops, and a easement.
Anything can be fixed with WD40 and ductape......... Right?

PM1946
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PM1946 »

When I drove by around noon today, I noticed that she's no longer standing guard outside of the engine house.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

PM1946 wrote:When I drove by around noon today, I noticed that she's no longer standing guard outside of the engine house.
She was moved inside when the 3885 crew left. Perhaps they're preparing to fix the issue indoors.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

No repairs.

The photo was not taken from RR property

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Raildudes dad wrote:No repairs.

The photo was not taken from RR property
If its not being repaired why was it put inside?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

So people don't have to look at its ugly paint job :twisted: :lol:

Now a real reply ;) :P

People take notice when something like that doesn't move for long periods of time. If it doesn't move, it is more likely to attract vandals or scrapers looking to be disruptive or make a couple bucks. There is also this lovely Michigan weather we have been dealing with.. -30 and snow isn't good if there are still fluids in the unit (although why would they care? I don't know that's just a possibility..). Something as insignificant as a rock or can of spray paint could mean big damage to that loco, so if you have the space why not have it inside. They also could be prepping it to go away, like draining fluids, moth balling ect.. Whatever they need to do to make it "dissapear"
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:So people don't have to look at its ugly paint job :twisted: :lol:

Now a real reply ;) :P

People take notice when something like that doesn't move for long periods of time. If it doesn't move, it is more likely to attract vandals or scrapers looking to be disruptive or make a couple bucks. There is also this lovely Michigan weather we have been dealing with.. -30 and snow isn't good if there are still fluids in the unit (although why would they care? I don't know that's just a possibility..). Something as insignificant as a rock or can of spray paint could mean big damage to that loco, so if you have the space why not have it inside. They also could be prepping it to go away, like draining fluids, moth balling ect.. Whatever they need to do to make it "dissapear"
I was thinking the same thing, maybe someone tampered with it or what not. I'm surprised that it lasted that long out there without something like the horn or bell going missing from it. Plus if they are gonna sell it, a freeze damaged unit is no good. At least its back inside.

The paint is getting kinda snarly lookin tho...
Last edited by MQT1223 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

^^^ Doesn't want to see stuff get stolen, yet posts how easy it would be to do it. Logic.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SD80MAC wrote:^^^ Doesn't want to see stuff get stolen, yet posts how easy it would be to do it. Logic.
What are you saying here???

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MQT1223 wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:^^^ Doesn't want to see stuff get stolen, yet posts how easy it would be to do it. Logic.
That it is illogical to flaunt how easy such a theft would be, exactly where the unit is sitting, while also saying you don't want to see it stolen.

Nobody is saying we suspect you...don't even think that. But the details you have given out in a public forum is cause for concern. Yes all the details are true, but best to not make them wide-open public on the internet, as I have told you before on various issues.

Just keep your fingers off the darn keyboard on that kind of thing. Think "what is the point of this being posted, and what are the potential consequences".

In this case, no tangible gain for an increase in the theft potential. We've seen both GDLK and CSX horns stolen in the past year. If there is somebody who has guts to make those thefts from the inside of a major Railyard, The 24 at Fuller may as well have a "pick me" sign on the nose. No need to ADVERTISE this, K?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
That it is illogical to flaunt how easy such a theft would be, exactly where the unit is sitting, while also saying you don't want to see it stolen.

Nobody is saying we suspect you...don't even think that. But the details you have given out in a public forum is cause for concern. Yes all the details are true, but best to not make them wide-open public on the internet, as I have told you before on various issues.

Just keep your fingers off the darn keyboard on that kind of thing. Think "what is the point of this being posted, and what are the potential consequences".

In this case, no tangible gain for an increase in the theft potential. We've seen both GDLK and CSX horns stolen in the past year. If there is somebody who has guts to make those thefts from the inside of a major Railyard, The 24 at Fuller may as well have a "pick me" sign on the nose. No need to ADVERTISE this, K?
I guess I thought this was common knowledge. My bad.

PM1946
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PM1946 »

As of last night when I drove by, it was outside again as it has been for the last several days.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

PM1946 wrote:As of last night when I drove by, it was outside again as it has been for the last several days.
If I were to walk over one day (keyword IF) when the G&W crews were on site and ask them what's wrong with 24 and what will happen to it do you think I would get an answer or get booted off the property?

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Reported to have a bad blower and a weak air compressor. Most likely won't operate again on the GRE. Disposition is not decided yet according to a reliable source.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Fear not followers of the 24. Sources indicate she will live on pulling trains. Sounds like she is giving up the city life and planning a move to the lakeshore. Apparently the dedicated crews rallied together and convinced the powers that be to keep her around. GRE fans probably shouldn't get to attached to 3885 either. Gonna be some power swaps soon.