CN Ore Sub Operations Update

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN Ore Sub Operations Update

Unread post by GAP »

There are several grades of pellets varying by percentages of iron ore, percentage of limestone, etc. Therefore the pellets that fall between the rails get all mixed together. Think of Wheaties, Corn Flakes and Cheerios all mixed in the same bowl. The steel mills are reluctant to buy what is not their preferred "recipe." I know of one case where the reclaimed pellets were sold to China. Back in 2006 I saw them being loaded into large hoppers near Eagle Mills yard for shipment to the West Coast. Of course they could only be partially full due to weight capacity of the cars, similar to the way the all-rail shipments are made to the Canadian Sault.

Tom Train
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN Ore Sub Operations Update

Unread post by Tom Train »

Taconite pellets are very slippery. They look like ball bearings and act like them. On dirt they are not bad, but on ties or another hard surface like the ore dock they are very slippery. I was up there once with a motor car trip.
No sign of any new engine shed at Euclid Yard. I think they return to Humboldt after their trip to Euclid yard.
Track speed on the entire sub from Euclid yard to Baraga is 10mph. Theoretically, the new Humboldt spur should be higher.