Your favorite railroad book

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

The little train that could

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

Actually I have a few

A few SP annuals
The UP locomotive books from Strack/ Withers
Last edited by esprrfan on Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I had no idea that the PM had this passenger train that went from GR to Detroit. Made me sad that I missed out on that time period.
My first train ride was with my dad and my mother's father from GR to Detroit to go to a Tigers ballgame. It was about 1956 +/-. On the way home we ate in the dining car with white linen, real silverware and a waiter. As a little kid was in awe of the whole thing. The next year when we rode, the dining car was gone. My dad took us kids to a ballgame every year from then on by train until the passenger service ended (67?)

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Katy the Caboose. It's a children's book that I loved to read to my children when they were young. I appreciated it because it seems to me whoever wrote it actually new something about prototype railroading.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

esprrfan wrote:The little train that could
:lol: How could I forget that! :D
Raildudes dad wrote:
My first train ride was with my dad and my mother's father from GR to Detroit to go to a Tigers ballgame. It was about 1956 +/-. On the way home we ate in the dining car with white linen, real silverware and a waiter. As a little kid was in awe of the whole thing. The next year when we rode, the dining car was gone. My dad took us kids to a ballgame every year from then on by train until the passenger service ended (67?)
Figures it would end the year I was born. :x I'm fond of your memories, Tom. :)

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Don Simon wrote:Katy the Caboose. It's a children's book that I loved to read to my children when they were young. I appreciated it because it seems to me whoever wrote it actually new something about prototype railroading.
Another one of my favorites! I agree, he drew the trains more like they actually look in real life (as opposed to smokebox faces like Thomas).
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Gary Losey
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Your favorite railroad book

Unread post by Gary Losey »

An American colossus : a small town, a river and a railroad yard.Publication info: Niles, MI (P.O. Box 35, Niles 49120) : Niles Railroad Historical Assoc., c1995.
Physical details: xiv, 352 p. : ill., maps ; 29 cm.
OCLC: ocm34958502
Notes
"An historic outline of the Michigan Central Railroad and the Train Classification yards in Niles, Michigan and, a collection of short stories and anecdotes in the lives of a railroad family during times of depression and war."

msurailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by msurailfan »

This is probably gonna be a lame answer, but my favorite is and will always be 'Train Song' by Diane Siebert. My mom used to read that to me when I was young and it is one of the reasons for my love of trains. I'll never forget that book.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

Wreck of the Penn Central.

Amtrakguy365
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Amtrakguy365 »

The Thomas the Tank engine Railway series books by Rev. Awdry
or
Rails around the thumb by T.J Gaffney.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Holy old thread bump, Batman!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Yeah this thread is so old I forgot I posted to it 7 years ago!!!!

And I change my answer to an old favorite that my parents had laying around the house when I was a kid

TRAIN WRECKS A Pictorial History of Accidents on the Main Line Hardcover – January 1, 1968
by Robert C Reed (Author), 250 Photos and Engravings (Illustrator)

And it is still available on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/TRAIN-WRECKS-Pict ... ZWWVC0STEC

Almost the entire book is steam wrecks, only a few first generation diesels. Man now I have to go find it and read it.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BamaSubdivision94 »

Amtrakguy365 wrote:The Thomas the Tank engine Railway series books by Rev. Awdry
or
Rails around the thumb by T.J Gaffney.
Got the Complete Collection of the Railway Series back in 1996 or 1997 when it was first released and it is amazing, something every Thomas fan, young railfan, or simple train lover should own.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I don't think I posted the first tike around...

The Spirit of Railroading, a collection of one of the Danneman's photos, from across the IS and Canada. I used to love looking at those pictures, and still do.
~ Charles W.