CSX Farm Lane Shoo-Fly Constructiion Update

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX Farm Lane Shoo-Fly Constructiion Update

Unread post by mikekmac »

Yes, the CN bridge is in place and in use. I stopped by Lot 101 one night last week and was rather startled to see a service vehicle trundling east across the bridge. Belatedly realized that it was on the tracks, and that the shooflys had been cut just west of Lot 101. (I tried to go back there today, but access to 101 from Bogue St. was blocked by a bulldozed pile of snow on Service Road--the only way to get there would be to go the wrong way in the eastbound lanes, and I opted not to do that. But you can get a pretty good view from the north if you follow the signs from Wilson Road down Farm Lane to Plant Toxicology. I took a few photos, but it was so grey today that there's no point in posting them.)

The CSX bridge beams are in place, but the bridge isn't ready for use--it's covered over with a temporary shelter made of lumber and plastic, presumably so the snow doesn't stop work. The decorative concrete pillars on the west end seem further advanced than on the east.

The side bridge beams are quite tall. They've going to hide the lower third (or more) of an engine, is my guess. I'm not sure there will be any good photo angles at Farm Lane when they're all done.