Sheldon Road Bridge

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

the track will be put back as it was before the bridge. csx isn't paying the bill on this project and i'm sure that csx wouldn't let this project happen if the track was not the same or better. the old signal at Sheldon road might disapear. there is no real need for it after the road is gone. you could pull your train down to mp 25 signal to do the plymount setout.

Rob

geeps
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by geeps »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:
Try telling that to Conrail back in the 1980s on the Michigan Line. :roll: If they kept those sidings that they removed in the 1980s, CP would be hauling their trains through there right now!
Actully Chris, the Penn Central was double tracked to begin with. CR single track. In the late 80s I believe. There were no sidings to be removed.
Thats why you gotta learn your RR history further back than 1980.
As far Canadian Pacific goes, on top of having a single track mainline, you got a little something called Amtrak that runs 5-6 train through there a day. and they own a section of the line passed Kazoo. AND there is a bridge clearance issue in Detroit to worry about as well. Its not about CP just not having enough track. However capacity is a big part of it.

Typhoon
Rock you like a Hurricane

Unread post by Typhoon »

rob wrote:the track will be put back as it was before the bridge. csx isn't paying the bill on this project and i'm sure that csx wouldn't let this project happen if the track was not the same or better. the old signal at Sheldon road might disapear. there is no real need for it after the road is gone. you could pull your train down to mp 25 signal to do the plymount setout.

Rob
Correct. I am not sure where these wild rumors come from. With the exception of the signal at sheldon road, which wasn't needed anyway, and of course the new bridge, it will be the same layout as before.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Good to hear they will maintain the doubletrack in this segment. I believe that eastbound signal is already gone, for trains coming down Salem hill into town. I also believe they will leave in place the signal for westbounds on the mainline, which was located just east of the old crossing.

I made an effort back in spring of 2006 to get a good photo of that three face signal for eastbounds when the first serious rumblings of a new bridge were discussed... because I figured it would disappear. Below is my efforts, with westbound grain train G028-14 storming around the wye and getting ready to assult Salem Hill!! 5-16-2006

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Update on the Sheldon Road underpass construction project today. Sheldon Road has half of the south-end paved and the workers were excavating the sides to place grass/ foliage. To my suprise I saw Q327 actually using the bridge which means the bridge itself is complete and working. Should only be a few weeks until it is open for the public.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

How come no construction pictures? You guys shoot everything that moves and then some but no bridge construction photos :(

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Ive got construction pictures up the butt of that project, I'm just to lazy. Last night at 1am, there was a B&V 320C looks like they were indeed grading the edges for foilage. CSX tamper and regulator were parked over the bridge. A 420 and a few 950s were on the south side, along with some hypac smooth drum compactors, and some little "toy" excavators the paving company had. B&V had a huge John Deere Excavator on the north side last week, looked to be the equivilent to a CAT 365.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

Mike Tabone wrote:...I'm just to lazy.
Yeah, that pretty much explains me, too Raildudes Dad. :lol:
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Yeah, that pretty much explains me, too Raildudes Dad.
I don't needs lots of photo's, just a few now and then would do 8)

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

I drove by M-14 at Sheldon Road this morning (Halloween), and the shoo-fly track has already been pulled up and gone.

GaRRy K

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

Here's a "rough" pic of the bridge/ work site as of today:

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I see a 315, a 420, another 315, and possible 928 way in the background.

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I may not be an awesome photographer, but that is way over exposed.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Mike Tabone wrote:I see a 315, a 420, another 315, and possible 928 way in the background.
Looks like a 420 or whatever the backhoe units are called and a 928 or 92G? in the distance...
~ Charles W.

GTW6401
how bout no

Re: Sheldon Road Bridge

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Road is supposed to be opened up on Friday with a 2PM opening ceremony

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Re:

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:
Railfan James wrote:Its stupid to go from double to single to double again..... The cost of putting in switches = the cost of keeping double track..... Not to mention I have read many places that the railroads try to have less switches due to expense....
Chrisracer8903 wrote:[quote="Railfan James"Try telling that to Conrail back in the 1980s on the Michigan Line. :roll: If they kept those sidings that they removed in the 1980s, CP would be hauling their trains through there right now!

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

oh man i hope they run CP on the NS michigan line!

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Its amazing.... I canno wait to see it open.....

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

JANGAJONGA: What does CP runnning on the Michigan Central have to do with the Sheldon Road bridge on the C&O? Since CP uses their own crews, how would they run on the Michigan Central since they are not qualified?
KenB