GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
ThreeRiversChris
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by ThreeRiversChris »

302 came back a little after 9:00 with 4189 & 4225 dragging 104 cars. They sided it and left it at Park for the night.

Tuesday evening they brought 4017 & 2204 south with a short road freight consist. They left it at Cowling for a few hours before departing about 8:00.

This morning, the same thing. They brought 4009 south with another road freight "extra" at 5:30. They backed it into the siding and left it at Cowling.

I wonder what is up with these "extras" lately when they have a regular train each day.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Easy: its a clear-up job for whatever the road train couldnt take with them due to the road train maxing out on tonnage. Proof that the Grand Elk is successfully getting new business but has yet to establish a second road train on the South End.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

They might've been what I was hearing last night on my way home from Pavilion...the timing meshes up perfectly.

You say that Grand Elk is bringing cars down from Gearhart to Cowling and is putting them on the siding. Do they then drag them to Elkhart or do they just leave them there? It sounds like the Geeps take them to Cowling, then bug out to Gearhart again because they are needed elsewhere. I know Grand Elk got two more engines but I think there is still a power shortage when it comes to the road trains. A second train should definitely be established, but I'm not sure if the Elk has the power to establish it.

What does 302 and 303 utilize on average in terms of power? I know they almost exclusively use the SD40s on them. However, last I saw, 302 and 303 were both using 3 SDs out of the 6 total, leaving none in reserve (Please correct me if I am wrong, it has been some time since I've seen the Elk's road trains).

-NS
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Either Kalamazoo is doing roadwork or Grand Elk is doing crossing maintenance on/around the crossing next to the airport. Looks like it starts Monday "at the railroad crossing" according to the signs.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

NSSD70ACe wrote:What does 302 and 303 utilize on average in terms of power? I know they almost exclusively use the SD40s on them. However, last I saw, 302 and 303 were both using 3 SDs out of the 6 total, leaving none in reserve (Please correct me if I am wrong, it has been some time since I've seen the Elk's road trains).
GDLK's minimum power is 1HP/ton (not that they always do it). The road trains will use 2-4 units. Maybe all SD40's and maybe four axles mixed in.

ThreeRiversChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ThreeRiversChris »

The Elk brought a 303 down to Cowling this evening 6:15 and tied it down. 4190 running solo and long hood forward with 34 cars. According to the crew, they pretty much got "kicked out" of their yard tonight as it was being shut down per Amtrak. Normally the crew was on it's way to Grand Rapids but had to advance what train they had down to Cowling before the cut off time.

What type of work is Amtrak doing that they would not let the Elk move around in their yard tonight?

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

Hard to say, I know one time in Jackson they locked NS out of 4 or 5 tracks, because they were using one of the yard tracks to do training on and didnt want people to get hurt. The crew said it was a royal pain to get cars organized.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Amtrak has no control over GDLK working in Gerhart. Amtrak has been working on cutting signals and switches over from Dearborn. GDLK does need to run on soon to be Amtrak controlled track to Gerhart and be subject to a curfew.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

GDLK & CSX trackage rights battle hit Trains magazine this month. Anybody heard any new info on it? Has the STB expedited an opinion? GDLK execs. said they would have never signed 20 year lease not knowing the trackage rights weren't there. NS must have totally ignored that fine point.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Super Chief wrote:GDLK & CSX trackage rights battle hit Trains magazine this month. Anybody heard any new info on it? Has the STB expedited an opinion? GDLK execs. said they would have never signed 20 year lease not knowing the trackage rights weren't there. NS must have totally ignored that fine point.
Nothing has been filed since September 30th in this case. It looks like it is up for the board to decide now, taking their good sweet ole time, as government loves to do.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

NB Grand Elk with a Watco Unit and former SD45 at 44th
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

I was in Grand Rapids for work this week and noticed on the north side of Hugart Yard dirt being turned and graded, Mmm are they expanding the yard some. That is a nice sight to see.

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

I am speculating, but it could be for future bulk unloading. The bulk unloading
facility north of Ann St. is not getting used as much due to the CSX dispute. They
may not get much more done when the snow flies but expansion on something
at Hugart is in progress.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

The facility north of Ann isn't getting used at all. The same operator has the facility at Mart St. The last time I was past there it looked like it might be environmental cleanup.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Going by Hughart the other day it looked to me that they were expanding the unloading facility. New rail and ties and snap track going down. Had to look fast though. Already had one moron try to run us off the road...the old..lets get on southbound 131 at Leonard and come across four lanes and get off to eastbound I196....no matter what the traffic is...in the rain. Missed the idiot by mere inches and found out the anti skid brakes work as intended. Then I got the dirty look through he plastic broken out passenger side window. WTF and why I am not armed while driving....wouldn't end up good. Never armed anyway...
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Doktor No wrote:\...the old..lets get on southbound 131 at Leonard and come across four lanes and get off to eastbound I196....no matter what the traffic is...in the rain.
...while never attaining a speed greater than 55 while the current-of-traffic is 75.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

Hey Doc, I go all over the city and Kent County every day. As much as I love
trains I have to keep a sharp eye for the dumb buttoxes that are out there. When I
go by Hugart I use that service drive parallel to northbound US-131 to avoid traffic conflicts.

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

Went to Hughart yard during my lunch break yesterday and observed the following;
Two new switches were installed underneath Hall St. overpass facing south.
Two spur tracks have been laid just south of there but not connected to the
switches due to a lot of digging going on.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Something new is going on the ole GR&I, Pennsy, PC & Conrail dirt. Was there also yesterday and watched the contractor do their thing while 3531 was shuffling cars. Wonder if 7030 is going to get that electric cab heater before the storm today. They wanted to replace the hot water unit with that last I knew.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Super Chief wrote:Something new is going on the ole GR&I, Pennsy, PC & Conrail dirt. Was there also yesterday and watched the contractor do their thing while 3531 was shuffling cars. Wonder if 7030 is going to get that electric cab heater before the storm today. They wanted to replace the hot water unit with that last I knew.
Build a fire. That'll warm her up. C&O GP7's and 9's had a miserable heating system and I hesitate to even call it that. Toss in the brake exhaust air exiting into the cab....not fun at all.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.