Ann Arbor Railway - Rail America

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Ann Arbor Railway - Rail America

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I wonder if they wouldn't merge the AA and the I&O together, effectively making the interchange tracks at Diann an important component of the new system. If eventually the GLC were acquired, I wonder if main RA road trains would come up from someplace on the I&O, turn north at Diann, and then proceed up to Owosso or Durand. Toledo might only be an interchange point and require switching of the Chrysler plants there, so the Diann-Toledo portion, at least in RA's mind, may become a stub branch, while the I&O mainline and AA north of Diann might become a new mainline. Just an idea.

As for the AA-NS connection at N. Main Street in Ann Arbor, I was just over in that area today. It's a neat little place where history has generally left things the way they were. The curve really is not all that tight....certainly not main line grade, but for an interchange track, not too bad. The grade and grade crossing would be the biggest sticking points. I could see in being rebuilt for WALLY, in which case I could see freight using it again, if needed. For Freight only, though, I doubt it. AA (RA) and NS have other places to interchange.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

The interesting question will be what does RA really gain from this move. If they get the AA and GLC eventually it creates a seemless connection from the Ohio River to Northern and Central Michigan. If they don't get the GLC it seems like it is a move just to purchase the AA for it's Toledo area business and likely will not change business much.

I do think there will be some sort of deal with the GLC for either the Pitt Jct - Ann Arbor trackage or trackage rights, if not the entire GLC.

The GLC might be the railroad in position to lose with this deal going through.

There is a lot to play out in this entire situation the next couple of years.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Saw the fewest number of 86' hi-cubes at Saline plant ever. Hope that's not an indication of future traffic from here :(
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

how many were there?
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

ns8401 wrote:how many were there?
I wasn't able to count them but from where i was at it looked like only a handful on the main whereas I'm accustomed to seeing both the main and passing siding filled. Maybe it's a good sign that they're needed in revenue service but the rumor is the new owner is going to trucks :(
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

AARR wrote:
I wasn't able to count them but from where i was at it looked like only a handful on the main whereas I'm accustomed to seeing both the main and passing siding filled. Maybe it's a good sign that they're needed in revenue service but the rumor is the new owner is going to trucks :(
Annie has starting lost services the Fingerle Lumbers yard, Ferry Yard, Saline Plant, Holcim Inc. (Dundee Cement Plant). :(
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

OwlCaboose2853 wrote:
AARR wrote:
Annie has starting lost services the Fingerle Lumbers yard, Ferry Yard, Saline Plant, Holcim Inc. (Dundee Cement Plant). :(
Yes, and in all cases it's not bad service causing the lost business but factors beyond their control :( . They have provided very good service to their customers.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Speaking of the annie they made a daylight run to osmer today. i wasn't able to see them though.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

On the upside, Chrysler has announced that they are investing even more money into the GEMA plant in Dundee. Not sure if that translates into more carloads or not, but a few years ago that plant was likely going to be closed, so this is a real good sign....

And DANGIT, I missed the Annie AND I&O today in the daylight.....ugh.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

GP30M4216 wrote:On the upside, Chrysler has announced that they are investing even more money into the GEMA plant in Dundee. Not sure if that translates into more carloads or not, but a few years ago that plant was likely going to be closed, so this is a real good sign....
From what I've read some of the engines will go to Mexico and those have a chance to go by box car.

I think they load a box car now and then but I can't confirm it and don't know where it would be heading :?

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

isn't there another plastics plant in Dundee that AARR switches? and the grain elevator? i understand they don't see rail service.
Exit stage left

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

redside20 wrote:isn't there another plastics plant in Dundee that AARR switches? and the grain elevator? i understand they don't see rail service.
Yes, CleanTech receives scrap plastic. Most of it goes to a local bottled water plant but some goes by rail. If it all went by rail it would amount to around 870 cars a year (87,000 tons processed). But from what I've read only a few cars a month are shipped by rail.

The elevator is one of several in the area operated by John Marion. One of his is on NS in Britton and that's where the load unit trains. His other ones do not ship by rail.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

AARR wrote: Yes, and in all cases it's not bad service causing the lost business but factors beyond their control :( . They have provided very good service to their customers.

The AA has been winning service awards for years from the companies they serve. Service by the AA themsevles is not an issue.

With the Saline plant I wonder if NS undercut the costs with transportation from Milan without the AA involved. I've seen a bunch of Hi-Cubes in the Milan "yard" on the NS tracks in recent trips. Those didn't start arriving until after I stopped seeing the AA with an engine at Pittsfield Jct. It could be the parts are trucked to Milan and loaded at Milan with a one railroad trip to KC or two railraods to St. Paul. Without the AA involved NS gets more of the money and can charge a lower rate.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

I concur that the parts may simply be trucked to the Milan plant for an NS routing out of Michigan (See Saline Branch thread)

The AA does, however, bring auto parts boxcars up for NS interchange at Milan where the cars go east to Detroit, so not all of the boxcars in Milan Yard stay in Milan....similarly, outbound cars also are interchanged back to the AA to go south. Depends on which track the cars are on in the AA Milan Yard.

It's unfortunate AA's on-line customer base continues to erode. Hopefully not all traffic to Saline has stopped. From what I've seen, the AA has stopped to switch GEMA on almost every northbound run I've seen, usually just a car or two inbound or outbound, but they often have several boxcars on-site there at any one time.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

OK just to take care of anyone still thinking GLC is going to RA you can forget about it i have confirmed it from several people on both ends and it is not going anywhere for a while atleast RA wise but you will hear the rest tomorrow when RA makes their announcement.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

GLC 392 wrote:OK just to take care of anyone still thinking GLC is going to RA you can forget about it i have confirmed it from several people on both ends and it is not going anywhere for a while atleast RA wise but you will hear the rest tomorrow when RA makes their announcement.
Thanks for the follow up GLC. Looking forward to the announcement.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

SOOOOOOO, It's the end of the first week of November WHATZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

RRTTF
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RRTTF »

This is a web site for aspiring authors of fiction novels.... that is what happened!

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

RRTTF wrote:This is a web site for aspiring authors of fiction novels.... that is what happened!
You're in a position where you could be helpful but instead you're just an ass.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Don't remember anyone saying it was 100% going to happen today.