JACKSON - LANSING RR / PART 2

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Mason, MI 4-9-11

Unread post by Larry G »

GP9s and GP15s awaiting next call at Mason today. Fresh ties also await installation. Phone cam photos sent my way.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... 88#2439388
Last edited by Larry G on Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: JACKSON - LANSING RR / PART 2

Unread post by AARR »

Just getting red X's, Larry
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

AARR wrote:Just getting red X's, Larry
Sorry about that, Hope this correctsthe X-factor! :?
"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Larry G wrote:
AARR wrote:Just getting red X's, Larry
Sorry about that, Hope this correctsthe X-factor! :?
I can see it now :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

Anyone know if the GP9s are being used much up there now, or is it mainly the 15's?

rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rail_watcher »

Clay320 wrote:Anyone know if the GP9s are being used much up there now, or is it mainly the 15's?
Does anybody have any answers for Clay320? I'm kind of curious myself.

GTWRalph
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWRalph »

I have only seen the GP-15's . I can't remember the last time I saw the GP-9's pulling freight. They do move the GP-9's once in a while but not to far. One of the GP-9's had a coupler replaced a week ago or so. Ralph

rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rail_watcher »

I wonder what their plans are with the GP9's if they are mainly using the GP15-1's?

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikekmac »

Early afternoon seems to be a good time to catch them there. This was Tuesday, Jun 7, at about noon-thirty. You can easily get good shots from the public sidewalk, even with nothing more than a lowly camera phone (which is all I had with me that day).

wawatam
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wawatam »

This morning around 5:00 I saw one of the GP15s #1419 heading north thru Mason with 10 cars. At that time both GP9s were on the siding in town along with the other GP15. This afternoon I drove thru Mason again on my way to Lansing. This time one of the GP9s #1758 was gone as well as the GP15 #1419. I came across the GP9 working at the Saginaw yard. I didn't come across the GP 15 but I would expect to see both engines to be back in Mason later today.

GTWRalph
Railroadfan...fan

This morning at about 9 am one of the GP-15's in the lead with a few box cars in the middle and at the rear a GP-9 crossed at Kipp Rd in Mason southbound.

GTWRalph
Railroadfan...fan

All 4 engines are back in town tonight. GP-15 # 1419 has 3 gondola's with scrap metal, a few coil cars, and about 6 to 8 tankers looks like they will heading to Jackson tonight. Could not get an accurate count with all the trees in the way. Any one esle hear the talk of ADBF getting an additional 4 GP-15's?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

GTWRalph wrote:Any one esle hear the talk of ADBF getting an additional 4 GP-15's?
I have heard there may be another two more somewhere for a total of four

GTWRalph
Railroadfan...fan

I just found this posted on ADBF Facebook page dated Feb 27th, 2011
Here are our new leased locomotives, GP15-1's, from LTEX. We are ordering four more of these ex-Conrail units to help out our older GP9 locomotives on our booming new line, the Jackson & Lansing Railroad.

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Pete Mayor wrote:So, on a different JAIL note, I just discovered today that the GP-15's are not orange and black as I assumed but orange and what seems to be the BN Executive dark green. That's kind of cool. Maybe.

And in regards to 1760. Yes, it is at Saginaw yard. Last week saw it switching the stub yard along the CN and the river and the GP-15's were there too. Thought it was odd all 3 were working that area.
Does that little yard along Olds Avenue have a name or other designation?

AMTK832
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AMTK832 »

mikekmac wrote:
Pete Mayor wrote:So, on a different JAIL note, I just discovered today that the GP-15's are not orange and black as I assumed but orange and what seems to be the BN Executive dark green. That's kind of cool. Maybe.

And in regards to 1760. Yes, it is at Saginaw yard. Last week saw it switching the stub yard along the CN and the river and the GP-15's were there too. Thought it was odd all 3 were working that area.
New Hollow yard.
~only the person who risks is truly free~

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

AMTK832 wrote:
mikekmac wrote:

New Hollow yard.
Thank you.

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

The NEW Hollow Yard was built in late 1972 and early 1973 as opposed to the Old Hollow Yard which was built in 1905 and was just plain Hollow Yard until 1973. Old Hollow Yard is the three double ended tracks that run from Olds Ave east to the start of the New Hollow Yard just east of West St. The Hollow name comes from the fact that it is decidedly uphill in both directions from the center of the yard. It was not uncommon for an engine to stall on this hill coming out of Olds with the normal 20-25 cars pulled each shift out of Olds. Prior to the construction of the run around track in the Olds Plant, standard procedure was to kick the set up cars up the hill towards Olds Ave, duck the engine in the clear and let the set up roll by. This operation occurred at least six times a day as you had the east end set up and a west end set up. The New Hollow Yard is quite tricky to switch as the lede is uphill but the body tracks are level. You had to kick cars hard enough that they would make it clear of the lede so they didn't roll back on you but not so hard that they wound up in the dirt at the end of the tracks. The tracks all had bumping posts at the end but they didn't last too long. One guy was killed switching here when a cut of cars rolled back on him.

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Tim wrote:The NEW Hollow Yard was built in late 1972 and early 1973 as opposed to the Old Hollow Yard which was built in 1905 and was just plain Hollow Yard until 1973. Old Hollow Yard is the three double ended tracks that run from Olds Ave east to the start of the New Hollow Yard just east of West St. The Hollow name comes from the fact that it is decidedly uphill in both directions from the center of the yard. It was not uncommon for an engine to stall on this hill coming out of Olds with the normal 20-25 cars pulled each shift out of Olds. Prior to the construction of the run around track in the Olds Plant, standard procedure was to kick the set up cars up the hill towards Olds Ave, duck the engine in the clear and let the set up roll by. This operation occurred at least six times a day as you had the east end set up and a west end set up. The New Hollow Yard is quite tricky to switch as the lede is uphill but the body tracks are level. You had to kick cars hard enough that they would make it clear of the lede so they didn't roll back on you but not so hard that they wound up in the dirt at the end of the tracks. The tracks all had bumping posts at the end but they didn't last too long. One guy was killed switching here when a cut of cars rolled back on him.
Very interesting, Tim. Thank you.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

JAIL is doing track work today between College and Holt Rd. I see they have a truck load of new ties sitting out here.