Michigan G&W Loco Roster News, Updates & Info Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Re: Michigan Pre-G&W Paint Lists

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

MQT3001 wrote:
amtrak1007 wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:3001, 3002 and 3003 have been/are being sold to MQT
Contract signed in august payment in full expected by end of the month.
Is the 4433 still GLLX then?
tZPR 3000 was sent over to allow mqt to not have to use the 4433. Currently it's fait is unknown as to when it's leaving the property. But it is no longer in active service and has been stored drained.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I have a question, for MQT3001. Is the list in the first post of the thread supposed to be kept up to date? For example, the wiki has updated HESR engine numbers, but the new numbers haven't been reflected in the thread, and the CMGN engines are all gone- they're all HESR units now and most have new numbers to boot. Will these changes be reflected in this thread as well, or not until they're orange?
~ Charles W.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MKT_fan11 wrote:I have a question, for MQT3001. Is the list in the first post of the thread supposed to be kept up to date? For example, the wiki has updated HESR engine numbers, but the new numbers haven't been reflected in the thread, and the CMGN engines are all gone- they're all HESR units now and most have new numbers to boot. Will these changes be reflected in this thread as well, or not until they're orange?
Yes, it is supposed to be kept up to date, and I have done everything I know of. I wasn't sure if any of the renumberings effected this thread or not, I have very little knowledge of the HESR. If someone could post the changes, or direct me to where a concise list is (HESR xxx to xxx), I can certainly update the lists.

I'm so bad at the HESR it is an embarrassment.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

MQT3001 wrote:I'm so bad at the HESR it is an embarrassment.
Those of us on this board probably have a better handle on the roster than G&W does. :mrgreen:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Standard Railfan wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:I'm so bad at the HESR it is an embarrassment.
Those of us on this board probably have a better handle on the roster than G&W does. :mrgreen:
However, I updated the MQT, MS, MMRR & GRE Pages today to be fully up-to-date on the loco roster, and a few other misc things AFAIK.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:
MKT_fan11 wrote:I have a question, for MQT3001. Is the list in the first post of the thread supposed to be kept up to date? For example, the wiki has updated HESR engine numbers, but the new numbers haven't been reflected in the thread, and the CMGN engines are all gone- they're all HESR units now and most have new numbers to boot. Will these changes be reflected in this thread as well, or not until they're orange?
Yes, it is supposed to be kept up to date, and I have done everything I know of. I wasn't sure if any of the renumberings effected this thread or not, I have very little knowledge of the HESR. If someone could post the changes, or direct me to where a concise list is (HESR xxx to xxx), I can certainly update the lists.

I'm so bad at the HESR it is an embarrassment.

The wiki is accurate, with current and former HESR numbers. There's also a database on the HESR yahoo group that Patrick's been updating as changes are made.
~ Charles W.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

MKT_fan11 wrote:The wiki is accurate, with current and former HESR numbers. There's also a database on the HESR yahoo group that Patrick's been updating as changes are made.
Cool. I wasn't sure how accurate the Wiki page was. I'll get to updating the first post right away :)

9:56 EDIT: I got the numbers changed and the list re-ordered so it again is in numerical order. If anyone sees an inaccuracy, please post or shoot me a PM :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

GLLX 3003 is gone, now MQT 3391 in fresh Pumpkin Pie. First post has been amended, and the wiki was previously edited.

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

Second Repaint by cnw8835, on Flickr

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

The orange makes those class lights really stand out

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

There still isn't two matching SD40-2s on MQT, the 3391 has different hand rail graphics than the 3389.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CAT345C wrote:There still isn't two matching SD40-2s on MQT, the 3391 has different hand rail graphics than the 3389.
You your self said they were the same!
CAT345C, on Flickr wrote:For the first time in Marquette history, two SD40-2s wear the same paint scheme and are the sole power on 105 cars.
:twisted:

Has the GLLX 4433 been retired from service on the MQT for good? I want to remove it if were calling it done.

amtrak1007

MQT3001 wrote:
CAT345C wrote:There still isn't two matching SD40-2s on MQT, the 3391 has different hand rail graphics than the 3389.
CAT345C, on Flickr wrote:For the first time in Marquette history, two SD40-2s wear the same paint scheme and are the sole power on 105 cars.

Has the GLLX 4433 been retired from service on the MQT for good? I want to remove it if were calling it done.
For all intents and purposes its done. Its sitting drained. Even if they wanted to use it, they'd have to send it to the shop to get new coolant in it.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

amtrak1007 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:

For all intents and purposes its done. Its sitting drained. Even if they wanted to use it, they'd have to send it to the shop to get new coolant in it.
Any idea of what will happen to it? It is a neat unit with a cool history (and paint scheme!), but is getting eh, elderly...hope she does not have a date with the torch!

PM1946
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PM1946 »

This may be a little off topic, but does anyone know if there are plans to repaint (or replace) Marquette Rail's fleet of box cars? If so, what sort of color scheme would they use? It strikes me that G&W is image conscious when it comes to their locos. Some of Marquette's box cars look downright war weary. Thanks.

amtrak1007

PM1946 wrote:This may be a little off topic, but does anyone know if there are plans to repaint (or replace) Marquette Rail's fleet of box cars? If so, what sort of color scheme would they use? It strikes me that G&W is image conscious when it comes to their locos. Some of Marquette's box cars look downright war weary. Thanks.
Doubt those cars would be painted... I'm not sure if G&W is going to buy those out right or what. MQT originally was leasing those cars.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

amtrak1007 wrote:
PM1946 wrote:This may be a little off topic, but does anyone know if there are plans to repaint (or replace) Marquette Rail's fleet of box cars? If so, what sort of color scheme would they use? It strikes me that G&W is image conscious when it comes to their locos. Some of Marquette's box cars look downright war weary. Thanks.
Doubt those cars would be painted... I'm not sure if G&W is going to buy those out right or what. MQT originally was leasing those cars.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but many, if not the majority of the cars are nearing their rebuild or expire date.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

The venerable GLLX 3002 has been replaced by a very fresh MQT 3390. We're down to just 24 ex RailAmerica units in Michigan or the original 32 at the takeover.

There are now 5 pumpkins in the state, however you won't find them east of Grand Rapids, with 4 on the MQT and one on the MS. How long will this last? Where will the paint crew head next? Stay tuned! :wink:

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:The venerable GLLX 3002 has been replaced by a very fresh MQT 3390. We're down to just 24 ex RailAmerica units in Michigan or the original 32 at the takeover.

There are now 5 pumpkins in the state, however you won't find them east of Grand Rapids, with 4 on the MQT and one on the MS. How long will this last? Where will the paint crew head next? Stay tuned! :wink:
Word on the street is they're headed to Bad Axe this week. With 1721 in Deckerville, and the four RA units scattered around the system, there will probably be a lot less than 24 real soon :cry: . Ironically, both of the former CORP units were on the east end of the HESR system yesterday...

BTW...does anyone have pictures of the 3 newly painted G&W SD40-2s?
~ Charles W.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

MKT_fan11 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:The venerable GLLX 3002 has been replaced by a very fresh MQT 3390. We're down to just 24 ex RailAmerica units in Michigan or the original 32 at the takeover.

Word on the street is they're headed to Bad Axe this week. With 1721 in Deckerville, and the four RA units scattered around the system, there will probably be a lot less than 24 real soon :cry: . Ironically, both of the former CORP units were on the east end of the HESR system yesterday...

BTW...does anyone have pictures of the 3 newly painted G&W SD40-2s?
See the wiki page. All three have links:

http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/M ... ive_Roster

BTW, nice shot of the 3390 at Lamoreaux, JT. My video from the same spot turned out nice, too. :)