Don't railfan in Delray unless you have a weapon

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MagnumForce
Angry Man

Re: Don't railfan in Delray unless you have a weapon

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Norm wrote:
Pure satire.
I had no idea...

MrRail
White Creek Flat Car

Unread post by MrRail »

That neighborhood is bad. Carrying anything, unless it's a friggen grenade launcher won't help. I personally subscribe to the "If railfanning in a questionable area have someone around with a gun" but I still will try to avoid said areas. I would find somewhere else that has a good location to railfan.
Anything can be fixed with WD40 and ductape......... Right?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MrRail wrote:That neighborhood is bad. Carrying anything, unless it's a friggen grenade launcher won't help. I personally subscribe to the "If railfanning in a questionable area have someone around with a gun" but I still will try to avoid said areas. I would find somewhere else that has a good location to railfan.
A grenade launcher? Really? Jake have you ever been to Detroit???
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Wait, some of you guys will go railfaning where you HAVE to bring a gun? Seriously? You do realize even if you carry and you're skilled those are still real bullets being fired at you and one or more may hit you by accident. If you purposely put yourself in a position where you may need to use it you must really really really want that picture.

I don't feel Delray, at least during the day, is a bad railfanning spot.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AARR wrote:Wait, some of you guys will go railfaning where you HAVE to bring a gun? Seriously? You do realize even if you carry and you're skilled those are still real bullets being fired at you and one or more may hit you by accident. If you purposely put yourself in a position where you may need to use it you must really really really want that picture.

I don't feel Delray, at least during the day, is a bad railfanning spot.
Agreed. Use the sun as much as possible.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MrRail
White Creek Flat Car

Unread post by MrRail »

I have family in Detroit, but still. Some area of Detroit aren't great. And in some places it may look ok and turn ugly. I wouldn't railfan in Detroit proper, but hey, that's just me.
Anything can be fixed with WD40 and ductape......... Right?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

After whats happen with the police and unarmed civilians I would suggest a double check on your HOT railfan spots this time around. This could really be a bad summer for anyone packing cameras let alone HEAT.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

MrRail wrote:That neighborhood is bad. Carrying anything, unless it's a friggen grenade launcher won't help. I personally subscribe to the "If railfanning in a questionable area have someone around with a gun" but I still will try to avoid said areas. I would find somewhere else that has a good location to railfan.
MrRail wrote:I have family in Detroit, but still. Some area of Detroit aren't great. And in some places it may look ok and turn ugly. I wouldn't railfan in Detroit proper, but hey, that's just me.
Not being from Detroit or the surrounding suburbs or not having spent much time in Detroit can give people these types of opinions. All of the public opinion of Detroit negativity from what people see and hear in the media also does not help. If anyone analyzes the background of the crimes that occur one will find *most* crimes are with people involved in the association of a drug related crime or someone simply neglecting their own safety. Things do happen everywhere but I find it very irrational to simply avoid Detroit or bring a "grenade launcher" when someone is playing it safe. One has to always be aware of their surroundings and act accordingly. Its unfortunate when fear shadows logic and people miss out on all of the cool things but thats their opinion.

The title of this should be "Dont railfan in Delray at night unless you have a weapon and a desire to have trouble"

During the day when there's less shady activity going on and one can see their surroundings, having knowledge of where you are or where your going ( or with someone who knows ) and not breaking any laws yourself, one should expect to have a pleasant experience rail fanning Detroit.

Being mobile and not sitting at the same spot will reduce attracting attention anywhere and you will be able to see all of the trains that are running. :D

Stay safe and enjoy all of the cool stuff thats still left in Detroit.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Trains at all costs!

Thanks for the thread, guys. Lots of :lol:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

jggilmore7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jggilmore7 »

I grew up in Detroit and have railfanned Delray countless times, esp. when I was new to 'fanning. The bigger question is why bother with such a crappy spot like Delray? Sure there's usually plenty of trains, and everyone has a right to railfan where they want, but the area is bleak, the trains are slow as molasses, and photography is pretty much worthless and then there's no easy place to park. Some angles aren't that bad at certain times of the day/year (I have many pics from the 80's up to about 2006), but is any seeming benefit worth all the negative aspects mentioned above, as well as the possibility of gettin' jacked? Or dealing with the RR cops?

Move along, please, nothing to see at Delray...

JG

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

So you guys all know. Be wary of this guy. CsxNSrailfanner or whatever whomever the OP is sent me a threatening PM referencing my photography, my home right down to the address and neighborhood, my camera, photography skills and my anal cavity.

Be wary of this guy. I was very close to reporting things the police and will not hesitate to do so if he escalates things again. He is not good people and not anyone that I would feel comfortable being around myself, my family or my friends.

Threatening people and referencing their address is beyond creepy and is probably criminal if I chose to pursue it. Needless to say I live next door to the Sheriff's Department, have a home surveillance system and plenty of means to protect my home and my family if anyone is stupid enough to try anything.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MagnumForce wrote:So you guys all know. Be wary of this guy. CsxNSrailfanner or whatever whomever the OP is sent me a threatening PM referencing my photography, my home right down to the address and neighborhood, my camera, photography skills and my anal cavity.

Be wary of this guy. I was very close to reporting things the police and will not hesitate to do so if he escalates things again. He is not good people and not anyone that I would feel comfortable being around myself, my family or my friends.

Threatening people and referencing their address is beyond creepy and is probably criminal if I chose to pursue it. Needless to say I live next door to the Sheriff's Department, have a home surveillance system and plenty of means to protect my home and my family if anyone is stupid enough to try anything.
At this rate he will get the boot from the admin if he keeps this up. His phony Q335 post wasn't even up for 24 hours before admin removed it. What a joke. I think he has a youtube, Midwest Rail Video's... might as well boycott that.

We gotcha Magnum... someone who has the nerve to do that through a monitor and not to someone's face is getting no respect from me. :evil:
Last edited by MQT1223 on Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

jggilmore7 wrote:I grew up in Detroit and have railfanned Delray countless times, esp. when I was new to 'fanning. The bigger question is why bother with such a crappy spot like Delray? Sure there's usually plenty of trains, and everyone has a right to railfan where they want, but the area is bleak, the trains are slow as molasses, and photography is pretty much worthless and then there's no easy place to park. Some angles aren't that bad at certain times of the day/year (I have many pics from the 80's up to about 2006), but is any seeming benefit worth all the negative aspects mentioned above, as well as the possibility of gettin' jacked? Or dealing with the RR cops?

Move along, please, nothing to see at Delray...

JG
While I wont argue with you on delray not being photogenic, I for one found it very interesting to railfan at. Especially if you have the ability to move around and see all the local jobs working.
The first time I went there, I wont lie I drank the punch and felt very nervous about everything and everyone simply because of the reputation it has. Its unfortunate how much repuatation has with perspective. Been there numerous times since and have even ventured into the neighborhoods around there a bit. Not that scary, never had a problem wth anyone or anything... But that has all been said anyway.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

The only problem I ever had at Delray was from a CSX cop, who told me the whole area was railroad property, and I was trespassing. He was also a smartass. He stopped across the street and watched me for a few minutes. Then he turned on his overhead lights like a badass, and sped right at me broadside, stopping a foot or so from my drivers side door. He demanded my drivers license, and said he had to check his list of approved trainwatchers, and ran a computer check on me. My wife used to be a LEIN operator for the state police, so I knew what he was doing. Then he told me to leave the area, that it was all railroad property. I asked him why he was giving me such a hard time, and he said "Just get out of here, GO!". He accused me of escalating the situation, and threatened to pull me out of my van, cuff me, and arrest me. A few days earlier, an NS cop pulled up next to me and rolled down his window, and asked me what I was doing. I replied that I was watching a few trains. He said, "Well this is a good place for it. Have a nice night", and drove away. Huge difference!
That said, I don't usually hang around Delray too long. I drive over the tracks slowly, and if I don't see any trains on the hill or headlights, I just usually move on, check Pleasant st, Visger, and head on down to Oak street.

On the subject of guns, if you go looking for trouble, you can usually find it. And if you shoot someone, even if it is justified, you will almost certainly be sued by the families. And even if you win the lawsuit, you can kiss 10 grand goodbye to your lawyer. Do you really want to take your chances with a Detroit or Wayne county jury?
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MagnumForce wrote:So you guys all know. Be wary of this guy. CsxNSrailfanner or whatever whomever the OP is sent me a threatening PM referencing my photography, my home right down to the address and neighborhood, my camera, photography skills and my anal cavity.

Time for the...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Banning him won't do anything. The best way to deal with people like that is an ass kicking.
Bottom text.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Y@ wrote:Banning him won't do anything. The best way to deal with people like that is an ass kicking.
Admin breaking their own rules of the board. I LOVE IT! :D :lol: ----------------------^^^^

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

MQT1223 wrote:
Y@ wrote:Banning him won't do anything. The best way to deal with people like that is an ass kicking.
Admin breaking their own rules of the board. I LOVE IT! :D :lol: ----------------------^^^^
Except Y@ is not admin...?
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

I'll call my uncle Guido. He'll do the job. :mrgreen:
Norm

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

The good news is 85% of the shootings in the "D" go unsolved ! Which side will you be on :wink: