CN Holly Sub

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

I hope so, that crossing kinda sucks. Just add it to list of many. :evil:

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

I've got a couple of nice photos lately from the south end in Detroit and Ferndale.

There is a nice parking lot off of the tracks near where the old passenger train stop used to be. The northbound signals are absolute and CN routinely pulls past them, then backs almost a mile to get into Moterm's north end.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

What are the nearest cross streets for that lot? I've been trying to get more familiar with the Ferndale area lately. I was parked on the east side of Hilton near the crossing for a while but the view wasn't so good. It looks like that vacant lot off of Wanda St. on the south side of Moterm is promising too.

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

Hey Dave try the 7-11 parking lot at 9 Mi. Rd. You may have to walk a little bit but that should get you a good view both ways, especially the yard to the south. If not maybe try parking in downtown Royal Oak and pick any of the crossings. I have seen CN Police make their presence known but that was at night time so I wouldn't think you'd have any issues. You can shop at Noir Leather while you wait!! :oops: :lol:

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

odave wrote:What are the nearest cross streets for that lot? I've been trying to get more familiar with the Ferndale area lately. I was parked on the east side of Hilton near the crossing for a while but the view wasn't so good. It looks like that vacant lot off of Wanda St. on the south side of Moterm is promising too.
Burdette Street is the first street that runs north from Nine Mile, just west of the tracks. Its between an oil change place and a CVS.

Turn onto Burdette, go north two streets to Rosewood, turn right. Area dead ends into a parking lot. Just to the south is a the platform where the commuter stop used to be.

You can also park on Hilton, just south of the crossing there.
You can park at the business on the north side of the Hilton crossing when they are not open. I've never had an issue doing it.
There is also a shopping mall right at 9 and Hilton with plenty of parking.

The grade crossings north of 9 Mile are both east west streets, Camborne and Woodward Heights. The southbound junction signals are north of Woodward Heights, sadly, and can only be seen from Royal Oak. The only southbound signal visable from there is the dwarf permissive signal from the industrial track.

Royal Oak has plenty of parking, but its too far away to view switching at Moterm.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

odave wrote:...Airport Rd would be closed at the "RR" starting 9/15
The grade crossing at Airport Rd. is open again, smooth as silk. Work on the Watkins Lake Rd crossing starts today.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

I have seen CN Police make their presence known
CN Police has an office at Moterm. I found that out through getting a business card from an officer while shooting pictures at Hilton Road. You can also park on the street there on the east side of the street.

Photos from Ferndale to give people an idea of what’s available to shoot.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 253&nseq=3
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 085&nseq=2
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 936&nseq=0

pfs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pfs »

GTW6401 wrote:
I have seen CN Police make their presence known
CN Police has an office at Moterm. I found that out through getting a business card from an officer while shooting pictures at Hilton Road. You can also park on the street there on the east side of the street.
So far I have been treated very fair by the CN police when approached. If I am with my son they immediately say 'no prob' and smile (I never exit my car when fanning with the little guy), when its just me or late I have shown them my camera and they have been quick to say 'don't get too close' and move on to look for 'real issues'.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

The Scott Lake Rd. grade crossing is finished. Now they're moving back north - Edgar Rd. is being worked on this week.