Detroit's old Michigan Central Train Station

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GTW6401
how bout no

Re: Detroit's old Michigan Central Train Station

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Leaders are meeting this morning to determine possible future uses, which are all governmental related. A few of things mentioned on the news were a State Police forensic lab, and uses for the border and customs service.

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

As much as I love old buildings, RR stations especially, I think that structure is way beyond salvage. It would probably cost more to try to re-hab it (If even possible), than it would to build a perfect replica from the ground up. The station has been vacant for close to 25 years. In the first few years all the glass was broken out of it. Weather has been getting inside the structure for at least 20 years. In Michigan, that is NOT a good thing. Think freeze-thaw cycles. I seriously doubt that the "bones" of the structure are even safe at this point. GoogleMap it and you can plainly see from the aerial photos that it is just a crumbling shell. Go to webring urban exploration detroit and see the utter destruction on the inside. It is a real shame, that was such a beautiful structure. The time to preserve it has long since passed though I'm afraid. There are so many factors to blame here, the owner, the city, the vandals, the culture, the economy, I could go on...

Sadly submitted,
Todd

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

My guess is that it will come down, sooner or later. I agree it's too far gone to save. Sad, but true. I think they are just posturing, to make it appear they have exhausted all the possibilities. The city is broke! The state is broke!
Detroit saves nothing! If it ain't black history, it's got to go! These old buildings, like the depot, the Monroe block, Briggs Stadium, and Hudsons, are just reminders of what Detroit once was, and never will be again!
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".