Ann Arbor-Detroit Commuter Rail

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Ann Arbor-Detroit Commuter Rail

Unread post by Shorthaul »

Who would have guessed?
http://www.annarbor.com/news/ann-arbor- ... e-delayed/
This was only waiting to happen in southeast michigan, which is the very spitting image of car culture. I have a feeling this will not go anywhere until gas prices go back up. What else could we expect from the MOTOR CITY?

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

bnsfMAN93 wrote:Who would have guessed?
This was only waiting to happen in southeast michigan, which is the very spitting image of car culture. I have a feeling this will not go anywhere until gas prices go back up. What else could we expect from the MOTOR CITY?
"indefinitely delayed" = ain't gonna happen.

Notice the poll results? :
AnnArbor.com wrote: Do you think the delay of the Detroit to Ann Arbor rail spells trouble for the future of the project?

Yes, I don't think it will ever happen. 56%
No, it's a delay but will eventually get up and running. 25%
Don't know - we'll just have to wait and see. 18%

Created on Mar 19, 2010
Total Votes: 712
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

MDH wrote:
bnsfMAN93 wrote:Who would have guessed?
"indefinitely delayed" = ain't gonna happen.

Notice the poll results? :
AnnArbor.com wrote: Do you think the delay of the Detroit to Ann Arbor rail spells trouble for the future of the project?

Yes, I don't think it will ever happen. 56%
No, it's a delay but will eventually get up and running. 25%
Don't know - we'll just have to wait and see. 18%

Created on Mar 19, 2010
Total Votes: 712
See in - Future; New Third Ann Arbor Station on U-M Property at Concerns Voiced Over Fuller Road Station...
Last edited by OwlCaboose2853 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

RRTTF
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RRTTF »

Well, guys (and gals), REALITY finally arrives. It was all some foolish dream... and a waste of millions of dollars of OUR tax dollars one more time.

Detroit-Ann Arbor commuter service ain't here like it was promised and so many of you believed.

But, I do have it on good word that the new 200 mile per hour Mag Lev is going to be in service between Detroit and Chicago starting April 1st. It has all been kept hush hush and has been being secretly built. Can't wait!

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

RRTTF wrote:Well, guys (and gals), REALITY finally arrives. It was all some foolish dream... and a waste of millions of dollars of OUR tax dollars one more time.

Detroit-Ann Arbor commuter service ain't here like it was promised and so many of you believed.

But, I do have it on good word that the new 200 mile per hour Mag Lev is going to be in service between Detroit and Chicago starting April 1st. It has all been kept hush hush and has been being secretly built. Can't wait!
Where do I get in line? 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

RRTTF wrote:
In Baltimore-Washington DC Maglev Trains http://news.discovery.com/videos/tech-m ... rains.html :wink:

Transrapid Test Facility Emsland - TVE(German Maglev Train) http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-hUATDt ... lev_train/
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit eventually gets commuter rail, seeing how many other cities are, but by the time it acquires its first used P42, the whole rest of the country will be maglev.

John Ryan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by John Ryan »

RRTTF wrote:Well, guys (and gals), REALITY finally arrives. It was all some foolish dream... and a waste of millions of dollars of OUR tax dollars one more time.

Keep in mind, the waste of tax dollars is ongoing, because SEMCOG and MDOT have entered or are about to enter into 36-month leases for the locomotives and cars. Cart before the horse.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

GLC is still preparing the shops for rebuilding/working on those cars in the car shop using contractors to do the work and put the car shop on the River bank track, which is being extended right now, saw them Wednesday working on it. There has been several meetings about it........

Mackinac Mac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mackinac Mac »

Id rather see tax dollars go(wasted) to a deserving railroad than politicians or private interests. :lol:

John Ryan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by John Ryan »

GLC 392 wrote:GLC is still preparing the shops for rebuilding/working on those cars in the car shop using contractors to do the work and put the car shop on the River bank track, which is being extended right now, saw them Wednesday working on it. There has been several meetings about it........
Does this mean they haven't actually started the work on the cars themselves? According to the project timetables I saw, several cars are supposed to be delivered to MDOT / SEMCOG for testing shortly. Of course this is pointless, as they have no operating agreements in place yet, but I thought I would ask.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

They have got 3 or 4 cars ready i believe the ones that have been done for a while, but none of the others have even been touched yet. One of them was taken to Alma to be scraped after being damaged in a wreck on CSX while on delivery a while back.

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Mayor Hieftje says he's still 'gung-ho' about Ann Arbor-to-Detroit rail line http://www.annarbor.com/news/mayor-hief ... rail-line/
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

I was bored one night while reskining stuff for Trainz I came up with this:
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/Pe ... OG_P42.jpg

I'm working on some matching Bombardier Bilevels.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

msurailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by msurailfan »

Man it would be awesome to see those roaming the rails of southeast Michigan someday. That looks really sharp!

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

msurailfan wrote:Man it would be awesome to see those roaming the rails of southeast Michigan someday. That looks really sharp!
Maybe I should send it off the MDOT. :mrgreen:

peter
American Trainz Group

Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

OwlCaboose2853 wrote:Mayor Hieftje says he's still 'gung-ho' about Ann Arbor-to-Detroit rail line http://www.annarbor.com/news/mayor-hief ... rail-line/
Is there any reason that the SEMCOG couldn't lease/rent some equipment, even for just a few runs, to get an idea of the level of ridership that could be expected? Maybe it wouldn't work out with commuters, but if they marketed a train to a Tigers, Wings or Lions :roll: game, than couldn't they get a general estimate of people who would potentially ride?

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Im still hung on a major problem. Trackage! I see problems running 10 Amtraks (5 Wolverines both ways), B34, and from what I have read up to 12 SEMCOG trains Between CP YPSI and Ann Arbor. Does that make sence? Its single track from CP YPSI to Depot Town, and then through the Huron River area, and then it opens back up at the old interchange yard with the AA west of the current Amtrak station. Not to mention, we see what happened with the Waterloo wreck, the possibility of REROUTEs on the Michigan Line on critical trains. Also its not just West of Wayne. East of Wayne there are several sections of single track thru Inkster and Dearborn until you get closer to CP MORT. So your now thinking of 60T, 20V, 38E (when applicable), 39E (when applicable), also whatever else runs there now. Wont happen until NS re-lays the rail Conrail pulled up in the 80's. You look on old Emery Goulash video which shows it was 99% double track back in the 70's and early 80's.

Also another point, CREWS and MAINTENANCE. You'd need a relatively good sized maintenance facility for all the P42's and cars to go down for their FRA inspections, reworks, and replacements. And where to put it? Unless you want to buy some land and build a maintenance facility like out near Willow Run, or where there's open space, thats even more $$$, also track crews, train crews, adminastrative people, station rehab (Depot Town station is going to need a LOT of work if its to be utilized, as well as a new drive-up and parking lot.)

Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

TrainWatcher wrote:Im still hung on a major problem. Trackage! I see problems running 10 Amtraks (5 Wolverines both ways), B34, and from what I have read up to 12 SEMCOG trains Between CP YPSI and Ann Arbor. Does that make sense? Its single track from CP YPSI to Depot Town, and then through the Huron River area, and then it opens back up at the old interchange yard with the AA west of the current Amtrak station...
...Also another point, CREWS and MAINTENANCE. You'd need a relatively good sized maintenance facility for all the P42's and cars to go down for their FRA inspections, reworks, and replacements. And where to put it?
FIrst of all, it's only three amtrak trains each way daily. Second of all, it is an extremely small ordeal to switch B34 to a night job. Run it west after Amtrak 353 or 355, and run it back west after 354. No biggie. I would also imagine that most of these trains would be run in rather small time windows during the commuter rush hours, so the only real meet to worry about would be with Amtrak 351 in the morning. In the afternoon, you would have to contend with 352 and possibly 355, although it would not be a huge problem. East of CP ypsi is a different story. I really don't have much of an idea about the amount of single track there, but it seems like that may pose a larger ordeal, although once again, it is quite easy to re-schedule the freight trains around the commuter trains.
The maintenance facility could be a problem, although (I belive) that there is not really an issue in sending the cars elsewhere for reworks (rebuilds?) and replacements. I would like to know what small railroads like the Grand Elk do for their locomotive shops/facilities. I belive that they don't have too much, but I may be mistaken.
I do see a "light at the end of the tunnel" for this problem if (and I hope it happens) a shortline buys the michigan line west of wayne. This line would need facilities, and the SEMCOG could provide funds for extra capacity at these shops. These shops could be placed in numerous locations, there is land availible in places like Willow Run.
Regardless of commuter service, I would be thrilled if somebody comes along and buys the Michigan Line from NS. NS is simply too big to care about the individual customers on the line, and they are not maintaining the route very well to boot.

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

there is talk about upgrading some of the single track sections to double track.

and for those interested: some passenger cars for my loco:
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/Pe ... 8_0004.jpg

peter
American Trainz Group