New Grand Rapids Amtrak Station - Vern J Ehlers

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: New Grand Rapids AMTK Station Construction Finally Under

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SD80MAC wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
J T wrote:Heard over the weekend that Century St. is going to be closed for two weeks at the RR tracks. I'm assuming this closure is for the completion of the project.
I went over the overpass on 131 that crosses the railroad tracks and there was a TON of activity going on. Full on track crew working to get this thing done. Any clue when this whole thing will finally be done? I want to catch the first train coming down those rails and into the station. Farthest in a passenger train has gone into GR in probably 40 years. What will happen to the old siding that the Pere Marquette has parked on for so many years? Will it get removed? It looks to be in pretty rough shape anyway and I speculate it will have no use once the Pere Marquette gets the station to park in overnight.
You speculate wrong, the "old siding" they park on currently is the CSX and Grand Elk interchange with the Grand Rapids Eastern. It's in fine shape. This will make interchanging easier, Amtrak won't be in the way at night anymore and the railroads won't have to leave room for the train to park.
Well I am not normally down there so I didn't know that it was a valuable asset to the interchange. I must have another siding in the area confused with it cause I thought there was a siding down that direction with really wavy rail.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Photo showing the connected spur and the new signal mast. Lookin spiffy!

http://flic.kr/p/phXivi
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

According to Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari the new Grand Rapids and Dearborn Amtrak stations are to open in the next six weeks.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l ... /17242603/

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

There is a guy doing some work on the switch to the spur right now. Probably some electrical work to get it online. Has an umbrella set up so he can keep dry in this pouring rain. Lots of street flooding around the area.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

latest rumor has the station opening on the 27OCT.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Took some shots today. There's a sign on the platform that says "Track 1." :lol:

Last edited by J T on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

CSX_CO wrote:
J T wrote: I'm curious though, what is the purpose of the concrete pad under the bridge?
I have no inside information, so this is just a WAG. My guess is that it is for parking the engine on. EPA has some pretty stringent standards on catching "engine feces" any place power is routinely parked. If a railroad 'routinely' parks power in a specific location, they want some sort of 'spill prevention' type measures in place. CSX puts down 'track mats' which catch sand, oil, grease, etc and keep it from seeping into the ballast and then further into the ground. This looks like a more 'long term' solution to that problem. Bring a 'sucker truck' in once in awhile to clean up what drops off the engine, and you keep the EPA folks happy. Of course, I could be entirely wrong and there is some other logical answer, but that is what that pad looks like to me.
Well, with this view from above, it's now obvious to me what that logical answer is. :)

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

It says "Track 1" because there will eventually be 2 tracks.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SD80MAC wrote:It says "Track 1" because there will eventually be 2 tracks.
Dumb question, but why do they need two tracks? Last I checked there is only one Pere Marquette, unless that proposed Detroit-Holland service is being kept in mind for the future.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

MQT1223 wrote:
Dumb question, but why do they need two tracks? Last I checked there is only one Pere Marquette, unless that proposed Detroit-Holland service is being kept in mind for the future.
There is only one track now, but basically it is all set for #2 whenever they want to...just have to add track really. Hence track 1, and not posted track 2

amtrak1007

MQT1223 wrote:
PV storage, special consists like the 40th anniversary train could park on the 2nd track etc...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

amtrak1007 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
PV storage, special consists like the 40th anniversary train could park on the 2nd track etc...
That would be cool. Maybe get some private cars on the PM. :D Have any private cars been on the PM? I think the Blue Water and Wolverine have had a few.

amtrak1007

MQT1223 wrote: That would be cool. Maybe get some private cars on the PM. :D Have any private cars been on the PM? I think the Blue Water and Wolverine have had a few.
NAVY 118 was based at coopersville for about 7 years, Babling brook was up there for almost 2?. A pair of Charter Wire cars made a yearly trip to GR, and Dan Akroids PV's have been here in the last 6 months...

Really the only reason Navy left is the new station, and the extra grand it would cost to get from CPMY to the station on or about the 27th.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

amtrak1007 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote: That would be cool. Maybe get some private cars on the PM. :D Have any private cars been on the PM? I think the Blue Water and Wolverine have had a few.
NAVY 118 was based at coopersville for about 7 years, Babling brook was up there for almost 2?. A pair of Charter Wire cars made a yearly trip to GR, and Dan Akroids PV's have been here in the last 6 months...

Really the only reason Navy left is the new station, and the extra grand it would cost to get from CPMY to the station on or about the 27th.
I see. Could the second track be used for display purposes if say a steam excursion (far fetched but an idea) came to town or if CSX wanted to display something to the public to make the access easy? That track is technically CSX trackage even though Amtrak will be really the only user right?

amtrak1007

MQT1223 wrote: I see. Could the second track be used for display purposes if say a steam excursion (far fetched but an idea) came to town or if CSX wanted to display something to the public to make the access easy? That track is technically CSX trackage even though Amtrak will be really the only user right?

RDD prolly has faster access to the building spec, but IIRC it wasn't built by CSX, only the switch and signal. The rest was built by the city/Amtrak using a third party track company.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

amtrak1007 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote: I see. Could the second track be used for display purposes if say a steam excursion (far fetched but an idea) came to town or if CSX wanted to display something to the public to make the access easy? That track is technically CSX trackage even though Amtrak will be really the only user right?

RDD prolly has faster access to the building spec, but IIRC it wasn't built by CSX, only the switch and signal. The rest was built by the city/Amtrak using a third party track company.
Is that why basically panel track was laid down? Do they even build track from scratch on site anymore? Like lay the ballast then ties and put the rail down? Only for large projects where jointed rail is not favorable?

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Future pipe dream making the Track 1 sign unnecessary at this time. :P

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

MQT1223 wrote:
amtrak1007 wrote:

Is that why basically panel track was laid down? Do they even build track from scratch on site anymore? Like lay the ballast then ties and put the rail down? Only for large projects where jointed rail is not favorable?
CSX used a three- piece pre-built turnout and three pieces of panel track to complete their end. I'm sure for short stretches it is a lot faster than "traditional" building. Most crossing fixes and such tend to just be panels...easy in east out, tie up the track less and get the freight moving. That has been my observation, anyway...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
I have stood at that platform, and it makes me wonder, how many superliners will be able to be at the platform at one time with a cabbage on the rear?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

MQT1223 wrote:
J T wrote:
I have stood at that platform, and it makes me wonder, how many superliners will be able to be at the platform at one time with a cabbage on the rear?
Well I have not measured it, but I'd wager to say at least two including a unit on the end. They don't need to board the whole train in GR...especially like on the PM now, where they board two (not completely filling either) at GR. When I rode it last they then filled the same two at Holland, can't remember where the two pickups from Bangor went, and then the third car with just SJM. No clue if that is standard, but I've always seen them load at least two in GR