Progress of the Michigan Line M/W (Part 3)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Progress of the Michigan Line M/W (Part 3)

Unread post by JStryker722 »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:They had a broken rail at mp12.3 yesterday, good for walking speed. There were also 2 activation failures. East of wayne
That may have been the reason why my crossing was down. I believe MP 12+ is Gulley Rd or somewhere close to it
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

Yesterday a broken switch in Battle Creek delayed 350 by 45 minutes. But when traveling past Wayne I noticed they've started regrading the second main, right now they have the area between I think Venoy and Merriman (it might have been Howe to Venoy) cleared of snow and a full team of dump trucks and graders working it all, it looked real neat and straight anyway. Last week they were doing the same in downtown Dearborn between Mason and Monroe streets.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Believe it or not...it looks like the North Pass has been removed. Out by Gearhart today and there is no evidence that the track is still there. I thought they were replacing it, not taking it out completely.

:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

59caddy
bag of holding

Unread post by 59caddy »

I saw a big reel of orange cable (or whatever it is) sitting on the south side of Superior Road west of the tracks in Ypsilanti earlier today while driving through there.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

59caddy wrote:I saw a big reel of orange cable (or whatever it is) sitting on the south side of Superior Road west of the tracks in Ypsilanti earlier today while driving through there.
Same one that is in the very first post of the thread caddy, they have been moving it around since summer. On the south and east side of the crossing currently. It is conduit for the new signal relay boxes I believe. Been in the current location for about 4 months now.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

Now that the snow has mostly melted it has revealed a neatly graded second mainline stretching all the way between Wayne and Dearborn. Today, Amtrak crews were working at various points along the whole route. A great deal of supplies has been piled up, including new cement crossing pieces at every road between Wayne and Dearborn, a large pile of ballast beside the Dearborn station, and at Wayne there is now a literal mountain of new ties, complimented by at least 50 long pieces of new, freshly welded rail. All the materials seem to be in place to begin laying the second main, whenever Amtrak crews finish grading.

As a side note, there is also a short section of new track lying beside the Leforge Rd. crossing in Ypsi, anyone know what this is for? Amtraks have been slowing down at this curve for the past couple months, and I thought this was just because they were laying cable, but maybe there's a section of bad track?

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

30.6 or something like that has only been good for 30mph all winter. May have to put new rail down on the curve. Guess I will try and check that out today. I did note the mountains of supplies last time I was in wayne as well. exciting times on the MC now. We will soon have the 20+ miles of double track back in service between towline and Ypsi.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

New signal base was installed at 31.13 today, far enough away from the main so they can keep their driving path and potentially install a second main in the future (plan may or may not have called for such)
Attachments
Signal base 31.13
Signal base 31.13
Mainline 31.13
Mainline 31.13

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Heh...is that right by your house?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Yep, right in view. Looks like I have a new prop :lol: I am wondering if they will call it signal "31.13" or "31". I am assuming the resignaling will allow more exact signal numbering that won't be close to a mile away from their actual location

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Oh 31 is my bet. Don't be surprised if you hear 30 at all though!

Watching your NPCU video, I see that you once ended up with the current 30 in your shot, looking down the track. You should try to zoom in down there and get her before she's gone.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

MQT3001 wrote:Oh 31 is my bet. Don't be surprised if you hear 30 at all though!

Watching your NPCU video, I see that you once ended up with the current 30 in your shot, looking down the track. You should try to zoom in down there and get her before she's gone.
It ain't much to see. Standard type A Signal
ImageNYC signal mast by Conrailman5, on Flickr
ImageNYC signal mast Signal Mast by Conrailman5, on Flickr
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Stopped at Jackson this past weekend, and there are two switches on the ground (the other one is visible in the distance on the right side of the picture). Just the one track machine and maybe 6 or 7 ballast cars at the ballast dump. Also a large cantilever signal mast going up across from the depot (barely visible behind the scrub trees).

Didn't notice whether the second turnout was left or right hand. Maybe relocating one of the crossovers?

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Ypsi, that isn't for an intermediate signal; they have been putting up radio-type towers at the crossings.....thinkin' it's for ITCS or PTC stuff.

Starting to see ties laid out for the 'new' main btw Wayne and Mort...

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Alright thanks buster. Thats interesting, and not quite as cool as a signal I guess, but good progress.

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

What are the switches for? What exactly are they adding at Jackson?

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Howe Rd crossing in Wayne will be closed starting April 27th. I'm guessing by the fact that at either side of the crossing, they have laid out ties and strips of welded rail on the new ballast,that the long-waited reinstallion of the #2 main is just weeks away.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Ben Higdon wrote:Stopped at Jackson this past weekend, and there are two switches on the ground (the other one is visible in the distance on the right side of the picture). Just the one track machine and maybe 6 or 7 ballast cars at the ballast dump. Also a large cantilever signal mast going up across from the depot (barely visible behind the scrub trees).

Didn't notice whether the second turnout was left or right hand. Maybe relocating one of the crossovers?

The signal mast was set in the fall, the switches come in over the winter some time. The ballast cars have been in and out several times over the past year. Track machines have been there maybe a month. I think they will be replacing the crossover at the station and maybe the yard lead switch.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Ties are down at least near signal 15 in wayne, photo from TrainWatcher

https://www.flickr.com/photos/csxt1534/17238455811/

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

Ypsi wrote:Ties are down at least near signal 15 in wayne, photo from TrainWatcher

https://www.flickr.com/photos/csxt1534/17238455811/
Ties and rails are laid out like this from 2nd St. in Wayne all the way to Merriman Rd., and at a brief section between Military St. and Mason St. in Dearborn, as of last Sunday.