CNR to rejuvenate its ore car fleet

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

This was posted on Boatnerd.com on Saturday.

10/11 - Duluth - The Canadian National Railway announced Thursday its intentions to rejuvenate the aging fleet of ore cars it uses to serve taconite plants on the Iron Range. The railroad said it will purchase 232 rapid-discharge ore cars and will refurbish 500 cars now in service as part of a long-range plan. New cars should begin arriving in January 2009, enabling CN to retire some of its oldest cars.

The railroad already has begun to retrofit some of its ore cars with new wheel assemblies (called trucks), couplers and brakes. Outlet gates on these older cars also are undergoing repairs.

CN currently operates a fleet of about 2,200 ore cars. The company aims to place additional orders for new ore cars in the coming three to five years, enabling it to retire more old cars in the future. The railroad also intends to refurbish another 500 cars next year.

CN purchased the Duluth Missabe & Iron Range Railway Co. in 2004 as part of a $380 million deal that also included the purchase of the Great Lakes Fleet.

From the Duluth News Tribune

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

We shall see, this was suppost to happen last Spring and never did. The CN has so much ore at the Empire that should have been in Escanaba last winter.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Chris, CN isn't investing money on it's tri-level auto racks so maybe they'll have the money for the ore fleet this year :) (referencing the vehicle contract CN has lost around Detroit :wink:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

:shock: WOW :!: I heard that Flint is gaining a bit tho

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Rumor is the auto biz CN lost went to CSX. Unconfirmed though. All that's known is it's not on CN.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...