First ever load for Cherryland Electric in Grawn today

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NWRail
Railroadfan...fan

First ever load for Cherryland Electric in Grawn today

Unread post by NWRail »

Did you all see our latest odd move in Traverse City? Cherryland Electric in Grawn received their first rail load today, QTTX 130965, currently sitting in front of their Grawn facility just down from Cherry Growers. Now, you can see the 14 ex-Metro cars and the oversize load in Grawn. 3rd trip to Traverse City this week. Also another load for NorPac in Bates. Trackwork in Williamsburg also. Look for increased business there, folks...

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Unread post by TrainNut85 »

Question: Whats the deal with all the ex-Metra cars stored there?

NWRail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NWRail »

Just storage for parent Federated Railways (lease fleet, though needing work inside). Most cab cars are up in Grawn, as it's on a major highway and woods/swamp on the other side= no vandals.

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Any hints to what the increased business in williamsburg might be might be?
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

i havent heard what business in williamsburgs is going to start hauling but i have known that for a few weeks about the new business.

NWRail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NWRail »

GLC God, and what have you heard a few weeks ago, that us employees just learned last week?

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

You did not say in your post but I ASSume Cherryland Electric received a transformer?

NWRail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NWRail »

Yes, Cherryland Electric is the customer for that transformer on the 6-axle, 3 section flat car.

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Unread post by TrainNut85 »

So thats where it headed to. I was a bit surprised to see it go thru Clare, but I was wondering where it was gonna go.

J T
Hates Supper

Re: First ever load for Cherryland Electric in Grawn today

Unread post by J T »

NWRail wrote:Did you all see our latest odd move in Traverse City? Cherryland Electric in Grawn received their first rail load today, QTTX 130965, currently sitting in front of their Grawn facility just down from Cherry Growers.
Is this business west or east of CG?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

West of CG. Thanks for the updates NWRail! :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NWRail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NWRail »

East of Cherry Growers, right in "downtown" Grawn, where we have the run around siding. Spotted the car on the main instead of the siding so the cran can set up on the shoulder of US 31. Should be a sight to see this thing get unloaded. My bet is passerbys will think the crane is putting a rail car back on the tracks, LOL.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Very cool, NW. I wish I could find a way up there to see that.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

East of Cherry Growers, right in "downtown" Grawn, where we have the run around siding. Spotted the car on the main instead of the siding so the cran can set up on the shoulder of US 31. Should be a sight to see this thing get unloaded. My bet is passerbys will think the crane is putting a rail car back on the tracks, LOL.
Thanks for correcting me, NWRail. I read your message to fast :oops: :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NWRail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NWRail »

Don, you have to lay off a bit on the Jack Daniels so early in the morning, then you'll be able to read slower, LOL. :twisted:

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Don, you have to lay off a bit on the Jack Daniels so early in the morning, then you'll be able to read slower, LOL.
:lol:

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

Not knowing where Grawn was, I searched for it on Mapquest. As I manipulated the varying levels I saw where the RR appears to go about 10 miles north into TC, to get around a lake and backtrack on the west side to Grawn. There appears to be only 1/4 to 1/2 mile between tracks in Grawn with a stream in between.
Would it be worth the expense to buy the ROW and connect the two?
We can't let NWrail have all those scenic rides while pretending to work can we? :lol:

NWRail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NWRail »

That stream is a river (Boardman River). Almost 10 years ago, plans were drawn up to connect the two near where they first get close to each other. There was going to be a wye there (near Beitner Crossing, or South Traverse City on our timetable). We would then keep the C&O track into Traverse City and through to Williamsburg. Plus south to Grawn. That is why the ex-PRR track was never rebuild past MP16 to 40mph lfor the last few limes into Traverse City- that section would hace been abandoned. The cost for the bridge (river, river valleym and wetlands to cross) was too expensive, and now mush of the land is no longer vacant. Plus, it's a scenic ride!

leo28150
Deactivated

Unread post by leo28150 »

maybe if a tunnel was built there at that location.....

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Hey NW Rail, I hope your wheel report wasn't off b/c of the depressed center flat seeing as how it's an 8 axle flat.