Plymouth Signals

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Plymouth Signals

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Just wondering if anyone has pictures of the round tri-color signals that used to protect the plymouth diamond. A few years ago I took a trip down to try and get pictures when I heard they were being replaced, but I was too late.

Also Does anyone remember the Tri-color signal that used to stand above the yard office. I don't remember it being lit, but I wonder if this was once a train order signal. Here is a picture. The signal is visible in the upper right hand corner.
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-51549

Notice the train orders being set out. My dad took this picture on one of our visits to Plymouth. They used to let us sit in the yard parking lot as long as we stayed in the car. I don't think you can do that now.

Kyle
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Re: Plymouth Signals

Unread post by Racer »

I remember that signal; they took it out in the summer of 1996 at the same time they removed the switch into the old roundhose back when CSX did car repairs in town. Also: about parking the yard office, it is STRICTLY for CSX personell only. There is a no trespassing sign into the office right before the crossing over the Southwest Wye.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

Yes, the signal you refer to atop the yard office was the train order signal. It applied only to trains going straight through Plymouth, east or west. When I dispatched in Saginaw, trains coming off the Plymouth Sub destined north or south were required to get a Clearance Form A. Trains from Rougemere going north or south at Plymouth got their clearance at Rouge Telegraph and did not require a Form A at Plymouth. Westward trains out of Rougemere destined Saginaw or Toledo had to get 2 Form A's at Rouge Telegraph; one authorized by Saginaw and one by Grand Rapids.

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the reply C&O dispatcher. I appreciate the good info.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Well I have to compliment you on the picture.... did not now they did that in the late 80's..... would have made good video.....

The Best spots for Diamond watching now (and i WOULD NOT Suggest going into the yard under any Circumstances) is the Station, 885, or Theodore... There is a small spot over off of Junction on one of the Dead end streets for good shots of 327 mowing down the diamond.... but other wise.... Thats all I can think of... No spots tot he North of the Diamond oddly enough (unless you want to get creative)

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Yeah I haven't made a trip to plymouth in a while, but I like to sit near station 885 or south of the diamond. Too bad we can't sit by the office anymore.

By the way, are they still using the cabooses on the locals in plymouth?
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Yeah 904143 (Chessie cab [Ford Dearborn Stickerd]) Runs Normally on D738 (The Valassis Printing/MYJ Job) or D715 (Livonia Switcher [also swicthes another few businesses east of Beech Daily, as there is a run of 30-40 racks sitting on track 3])....

And Y107 occasionally has one too... But lately the locals (D717 and D716) have been Using GP40 CSXT #6474 and CSXT GP30 Slug #2266....
Last edited by TrainWatcher on Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stitch
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Stitch »

Not that it matters but D738 does the Valassis switch.
Railpictures.net contributions -
Railroad Picture Archives.net - http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Ok... Bill mentioned Y205.... Got the chnage thanks....