Snow Emergency (What is it?)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TCP
Railroadfan...fan

Snow Emergency (What is it?)

Unread post by TCP »

I was listening to the scanner Saturday afternoon and heard radio traffic from Wyoming Yard about a 'Snow Emergency', what is a 'Snow Emergency'?
TCP
GR MI.
Home of the NMRA National Convention in 2012
www.gr2012.org

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Re: Snow Emergency (What is it?)

Unread post by conrailmike »

When a city issues a snow emergency, that means that you are not allowed to park your car on the street so that the plows can come through and do their job.

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

During a snow emergency on CSX, MOW crews have priority over any other operations in an effort to keep the track clear.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

conrailmike wrote:When a city issues a snow emergency, that means that you are not allowed to park your car on the street so that the plows can come through and do their job.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

I just realized that he said it was heard over the scanner....DOH!! :lol:

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Is it a emergency in the snow? :mrgreen:
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I wish scoccer moms would realize that snow emergencys mean your prolly shouldn't be out driving or parked on your road. I hate doing subs, and have to go around parked cars.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

You don't have to go around them. Just a "gentle" nudge into the snow bank. I saw one of those on my way up to visit my wife when she was in school at NMU. Just east of Seney it was snowing and blowing with zero visibility. I don't think the plow driver ever saw the car. The plow had some damage, the truck was fine, the Cavalier was about half of its former self.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I can't do that i'm in a pickup truck. All i'm aloud to hit is garabage cans its in the contract!

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Gov. Crappo »

id pile up shopping carts with my 928 and a 16' pusher.....funny seeing a 35' tall pile of snow with carts sticking out of it all over.... :mrgreen:
i hate the interstate and the infernal combustion engine
nothing is sweeter then the smell of coalsmoke in the morning
"hey are you waiting for a train too?"

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

928? Come on, get a 966 out there! or a 950! or a L90. I don't get the guys that use pickups to do large lots like that. I don't know how they can afford it.

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

Mike Tabone wrote:928? Come on, get a 966 out there! or a 950! or a L90. I don't get the guys that use pickups to do large lots like that. I don't know how they can afford it.
lol...i did 115 acres of parking lot (Northland Mall) with a Cat IT28 w/a 16' sno dawg and 2 PU's doing tucks...plus having to load salt trucks...6" snow be done in 5 hours...the IBM building at 9 mile and southfield had barely 30 acres and the 950 there with 2 PU's would take 7 hours+....less then 4 or 5 " i wouldnt even put the blade on the Cat....id just belly blade the lot and have my PU's do tucks...on a salt run id go thru in my truck prolly 50 tons on all my sites.....the company would go thru about 700-900 tons a night....

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

darn. I've got my Madonalds down to about 20 minutes. Not bad for my first year. More than 6" takes me about a full hour. Need wings and a deflector for my blade.

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

my plow truck was a IHC 2560 single axle dump...with the Dirt Turtle 466E :? ...old county truck..took the hopper salter out and put a 11" auger trough salter....i goosed the hydralics and can shoot salt across 8 aisles of parking :wink: ...the company i work for puts prolly 200 trucks on the road...granted 160 or so are subs but still thats alotta contracts..... :shock: ...we plow from Jackson to the Eastside of Detroit

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

boy this went off topic fast!

my one remark; is if you ever find yourself plowing the Emergency room @ UofM during the day; to swing by the valet booth and we'll move the cars out of the way.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

doesnt u of m have there own plow trucks?

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Yes most universities here have their own grounds and maintenance departments that take care of the plowing.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

GTW6401 wrote:Yes most universities here have their own grounds and maintenance departments that take care of the plowing.
Purdue had a fleet of tractors with 'brushes' on the front. The Students called them 'ice polishers'. The brushes would move snow, but would compact (and heat because of the friction) the snow next to the sidewalk. They only put salt on the roads on campus, not the sidewalks. So, what does snow turn into when heated? Water. What does water do when its cold? Freeze. So what does snow become when heated and immediately re-freezes? Ice. So instead of snow you could be walking through, you were on ice that you couldn't stand on.

Engineering School with a lot of brilliant and forward thinking minds, and they used brushes to clear the sidewalks.

Of course snow in central Indiana isn't a regular occurance.

When I went to Atlanta for Engineer Training it was snowing outside of Nashville, TN. It would be called a 'dusting' in Michigan, but traffic on I-65 was going 20 mph. It was like the end of the world down there. I'll never forget it. They must have thought I had a death wish going 55 in my all wheel drive Blazer. I was more worried about the semi's blowing through the stuff going 65 mph then the snow.

Practice Safe CSX

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Mike Tabone wrote:darn. I've got my Madonalds down to about 20 minutes. Not bad for my first year. More than 6" takes me about a full hour. Need wings and a deflector for my blade.
20?? A Mickey D's should only take 15 minutes. Slacker! Are you sure you aren't wasting some of that time in the drive-thru waiting for some chicken 'nuggets? :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

J T wrote:
Mike Tabone wrote:darn. I've got my Madonalds down to about 20 minutes. Not bad for my first year. More than 6" takes me about a full hour. Need wings and a deflector for my blade.
20?? A Mickey D's should only take 15 minutes. Slacker! Are you sure you aren't wasting some of that time in the drive-thru waiting for some chicken 'nuggets? :lol:
today I was down to about 15 mins, only about 3inches of snow, no idea why I was called out for it. Oh well 6 hours in my pocket towards my new boss plow :mrgreen: