Another GLC question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Another GLC question

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Does any one know what this structure is?
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-52704

It is located at the north end of the the northern yard in Cadillac. I have never seen it in use.

Kyle
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: Another GLC question

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Potash loadout for the mine in Hersey. Built by the railroad, used very little when the mine first opened. Hasn't been used in some time. The little secret about the Hersey mine is it produces more salt than potash.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

is the mine still open??

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Yup, everything trucked out.

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Thanks for the Info.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

thomas
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by thomas »

the salt mine has hardly dented the amount of salt, the seam is 5000 ft thick, several miles wide and close to 50 miles long(alot is'nt worth mining), everything is trucked out on flatbeds or covered trailers, early this year when i pulled loads out of there they were loading 30 -40 trucks aday.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Based on a tour I took there a number of years ago, it is an injection well mine. Hot water is pumped underground, the salt and potash is dissolved, pumped to the surface and evaporated under pressure. The dried evaporated material is ground to various gradations, primarily sidewalk salt, water softener salt and food grade salt and agricultural grade potash. Their market is a 400 mile radius from Hersey MI.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

so why did they build the loading dock if they are just trucking it out??

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

It's my understanding the RR built the facility, most likely to try and get a piece of the business. The manager of the mine told our group that toured the facility "the smaller the package, the higher the profit and we are going for profit". That told me the 100 ton bulk business wasn't the market they were targeting. He also told us their market was a 400 mile radius - that's not rail's strong point either.

Look back at the the history leading up to the construction. It was called a proposed potash mine for years. In reality, IIRC, they get 2 tons of salt for every ton of potash.

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

I had the %#((&^% thing built on their word that they would ship large amounts of potash by rail.
(Salt by truck to local markets.) It was originally intended for Clare but, at their insistence, moved
to Cadillac. The salt content of the potash was too high and in loading the railcars through the
spout (they insisted on the design) covered new cars in an adjacent dealer's lot with salt.

$280,000 shot to he!!. Thanks for reminding me.

Raildudes dad: You are right on the 2 to 1 proportion, but I was very happy with the "1". They were
"embarrassed" (their word) about how dirty the potash was. They wouldn't answer my phone calls
for months.
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

so it is not used anymore, alright.

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

right.

RR is more fun

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Whenever a rail fan hears that a company switched from rail to truck we usually believe the railroad must have screwed up. As we can see it's the customer that screws up sometimes...and leaves the railroad holding the check :x
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

Thanks guys. I myself wondered about that building and why it wasn't used anymore.
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

We spent about the same amount for the potash facility and the initial layout of
Poly Pavilion (I can't help it, I remember Lew Alcindor and the Wizard of Westwood.)
in Clare. One flew, one blew. Taken together, its still a good return.

RR is more fun

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Poly Pavilion has turned into a nice operation for GLC. The CEO said they do about 1,200-1,300 cars a year from PP.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...