Storing power and cars

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Storing power and cars

Unread post by Norm »

Many of the Class I's are storing both cars an locomotives. There was a photo of a string of idled UP power posted on another forum that looked several thousand feet long.

Other than Durand, which I already know has lots of cars stored there, is CN or CSX storing cars and power here in Michigan? Seems that Battle Creek would be a good candidate for such use now that it is closed. Flat Rock, Port Huron, an a couple of other yards come to mind also; one being the now unused yard for the Orion Plant.

Anyone have any information? With the weather, and roads, being so lousy this winter I haven't had the urge to check on the yards away from Pontiac. Last time I was by Pontiac Yard a week or so ago, it was so vacant it looked like farming would be a better use.
Norm

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Storing power and cars

Unread post by CERY »

There are auto racks stored at Ensel Yard in Lansing Mi also some in Grand Ledge and Sunfield if memory serves.
Semi-retired railroader

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikerm19 »

If you want some stored auto racks, come over to West Michigan. There's more stored cars here than you can shake a stick at. And I shake a mean stick.
Mike
http://www.mitrain.net Come see us!

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Is it just me or has there been a bit of redundancy with these topics on storing cars.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Just for clarity, the cars in Durand are stored on the HESR. CN isn't storing anything in Durand.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

DR wrote:Just for clarity, the cars in Durand are stored on the HESR. CN isn't storing anything in Durand.
I thought Durand yard was shared between CN, GLC, and HESR.
Norm

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

GTW6401 wrote:Is it just me or has there been a bit of redundancy with these topics on storing cars.
Sorry if I was unaware of a previous topic on the subject.
Norm

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

The yard was leased back a number of years ago by the CM now HESR from the CN. They are responsible for maintence of track and railroad crossings signals (many days of me pulling hair out).
CN and GLC only interchange and run thru/interchange respectively
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

NS has alot of TTX flats stored in Lansings Saginaw yard

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

There are also a bunch down in the Lansing Car Assembly Yard now that it's been torn down.
Semi-retired railroader

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

Norm wrote:... one being the now unused yard for the Orion Plant.
Orion yard has quite a few cars stored there, some have been there for a year or more. Looks like there's mostly 86' auto parts boxcars in there. I didn't have the camera with me back when the circus train was parked there so I couldn't get any pics of what was stored.

I know CSX has a bunch of autoracks, 60', and 86' cars stored at the south end of Mcgrew down near where Buick City used to be.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Down here, the MAW has 60-80 Molten Sulfer service tanks parked on the SW side of the diamond in Defiance, plus 20-30 Boxcars/Paper service cars stored in the yard. For awhile, there was 21 50ft boxcars stored on the Elevator track in Okolona, but those are gone now.
Bottom text.

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

Up until a few weeks ago, Urania siding on the Ann Arbor was full of idled auto racks. Then one day, they were gone.
-Fritz Milhaupt

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

I was down in Reford this weekend, and it sure looked like the auto racks sitting over both Beech Daly and Telegraph were the same cars that were there when I was down there around Thanksgiving. My friend said that the cars hadn't moved in quite a while. Would they be storing cars there?