New Buffalo/Union Pier area

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
mrconductor55
Railroadfan...fan

New Buffalo/Union Pier area

Unread post by mrconductor55 »

Hey Everyone,

My name is Frank, and I'm new to the board. I live in Chicago,but am at my family's place in Union Pier pretty regularly. Up until today, I thought that all you saw through the area was CSX manifests, BNSF Coal trains, and Amtrak. Well I found out that I'll be spending Spring Break up there, and want to do some railfanning.

I was hoping to catch some 4 axle power, and thought that none ever passed through. I'm willing to chase a night job, as I just found out that a local passes through the area, and switches that yard in NB.

So can you guys give me any info that you have on this local that I'm referring to, where is it based and whatnot.

Thanks so much
Frank

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: New Buffalo/Union Pier area

Unread post by SD80MAC »

D700 runs west out of Grand Rapids at night M-F, not sure how often they get down to New Buffalo, if ever.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

Welcome, Frank -

Do you know about the new NS local that runs from Burns Harbor thru Niles to Dowagiac and Lawton? That should be close to your area. Seems like that has run 5 days per week, powered by a pair of NS GP40-2's. Using the symbol B05, it seems to get to Dowagiac in the late morning. If Signmaster sees this he can give you lots better details.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

If your looking for 4 axle power I would suggest the South Shore around Michigan City. I went past there for the first time last weekend and got some good shots of their Geeps at the Carroll Street Shop.

mrconductor55
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mrconductor55 »

Oh Yeah, I was definitely going to try to shoot some of their geeps street running on 11th street. I've been reading, apparantly the D700 occationally makes its way down to NB to switch out that yard with all of the old bad order cars?

Typhoon
Rock you like a Hurricane

Unread post by Typhoon »

mrconductor55 wrote:Oh Yeah, I was definitely going to try to shoot some of their geeps street running on 11th street. I've been reading, apparantly the D700 occationally makes its way down to NB to switch out that yard with all of the old bad order cars?

I have yet to see D700 go the whole way to New Buffalo. They do get to Sawyer a couple of times a week though. The only thing that goes into the yard at NB these days will be W jobs to switch out or bring in cars. Watch this board for when they run, which is maybe once every couple of months.