Tie Gang

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Tie Gang

Unread post by Norm »

Went to Durand yesterday, and while passing through Gaines I saw lots of gons loaded with new ties sitting on the pass. There were also numerous piles of ties along the track.

I have no idea when the tie gang will arrive and start work, but for those of you interested in MOW, it can be fascinating to watch and photograph. The tie gang guys are truly adept with their machines. Those who position ties with 'donkey cranes' make the machines look like an extension of their arm.
Norm

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Tie Gang

Unread post by odave »

They did Davisburg to Pontiac last fall, and it looks like at least Holly to Durand this spring.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

Saw them headed north this morning through Andersonville at 7:45.

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

Odave..They came thru last week with a hy-rail and about 5 gons dropping off ties thru downtown Holly and points west. I had seen some ties near the Fish Lk. Rd crossing but I don't know if they came thru Fenton doing the same thing. There is a big pile of stone near the crossing by my house, next to the box on the northeast corner. I noticed this morning on my way to fire station as I was waiting for a WB to pass that it seemed to be going thru at a slightly lower speed than normal. Not sure when they're starting work changing the ties.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

OK,

Here's what I learned today:

The tie gang will be starting on April 13th, weather permitting. They plan on working North from Holly to Durand, and that may take a few days. Those guys cover a good bit of ground in a day, and there are places the roadbed is well drained and the ties don't need to be replaced.

They will be starting in Holly and working north toward Durand. There may be photo ops if you are in the right place at the right time.

Ya' pay's your money, and you take your chances. GL!
Norm

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

Piles of ties showed up through Fenton sometime today

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

Picked up our dog from the sitter on Rattalee Lake Rd, and saw piles of ties from the crossing south as far as I could see.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

CN sure pours lots of money into the Holly for the traffic that runs on that line. Its tough to ever see more than 6-8 trains a day on that track any more, even in a boom economy.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

i have a feeling CN has some big plans for that line.

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

GLC 392 wrote:i have a feeling CN has some big plans for that line.
That would be nice to see more traffic on a daily basis. The ties are piled up all the way thru Fenton. We went thru Linden yesterday and got stopped by a WB train but I didn't notice if any ties were laid out there as well.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

didn't they take out a siding at Gaines? or was it Linden?
Exit stage left

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

Linden is the one they removed.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

odave wrote:Picked up our dog from the sitter on Rattalee Lake Rd, and saw piles of ties from the crossing south as far as I could see.
There are no good places to get photos between Duckburg, er, make that Davisburg, and Holly.
Norm

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

I think they took out the Linden siding a little over a year ago. They removed the old searchlight signal and installed a new LED signal around the same time I think. Wish they'd install one near us...but they wont!!

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Norm wrote:
odave wrote:Picked up our dog from the sitter on Rattalee Lake Rd, and saw piles of ties from the crossing south as far as I could see.
There are no good places to get photos between Duckburg, er, make that Davisburg, and Holly.
Actually if you head west from Davisburg on Davisburg Rd. into Rose Twp. and turn right on Eagle Rd. there's a crossing there before the tracks makes the turn towards Holly. Should offer enough room to park and get some good shots. I believe there's a signal there as well.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

and a little way NW of there is the Rattalee Lake Rd crossing, where there is fairly clear view back along the tracks to the SE. The road is a little wider there too. But those two spots are pretty much it without tresspassing and/or putting on waders :)

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

odave wrote:and a little way NW of there is the Rattalee Lake Rd crossing, where there is fairly clear view back along the tracks to the SE. The road is a little wider there too. But those two spots are pretty much it without tresspassing and/or putting on waders :)
Unless you like to stand in ponds and take photos..in which both locations will serve you well... :lol: :lol:

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

All kinds of MOW between Holly and Davisburg this AM. A semi highrailer & flat car along with several big MOW trucks were at the Eagle Rd. crossing, several trucks in Davisburg also.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Here are a couple men wearing ties :)

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Well, the tie gang began work about 0630 this morning, and according to a contact they can be expected to make about a mile a day. Having watched them at Waterford last year, that speed sounds about right.

I photographed them last year, and speed is not their forte'.
Norm